Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

62 posts, read 263,407 times

Advertisements

Doing some research on Cumming GA in preparation for a possible move to Atlanta and came across a couple of YouTube videos that had videos of KKK rallies in the area back in 2010. Does this stuff really go on in the area?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
Ask the user Northwinds. He might know.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,695 times
Sorry, couldn't help but be curious about this post. Regardless of the racism issue, is there really a town called "Cumming"? Where exactly is that from Climax, GA?

Sorry.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Sorry, couldn't help but be curious about this post. Regardless of the racism issue, is there really a town called "Cumming"? Where exactly is that from Climax, GA?

Sorry.
cumming ga - Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=cu...ls&z=7&layer=t

or 277 miles from Climax GA...

Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Ask the user Northwinds. He might know.
Can't help you there Buppie.....don't keep up with the Klan as they pose no threat to me.....not to mention I haven't seen a Klansman in years around these parts. I keep up with the Amish predators who do their wildings and generally create mayhem in the ATL as in other places. They do pose a threat to me and my family.

To the OP....Cumming is in Forsyth County just north of Atlanta. It is one of the fastest growing and vibrant counties in the USofA. Back in 1912 a group of blacks viciously raped and killed a white woman. This created an environment in which all of the blacks residents of the county were forced to leave. For the next seventy or so years no blacks lived in the county and there was actually a sign at the county's border with Fulton County that essentially said "if you are a N don't let the sun set on your ass in Forsyth County". With the espansion of the Atlanta metro area and the infusion of money into the county the place has changed dramatically over the last 25 years. You're more likely to run into someone from New Jersey than a Klan member. Here's a synopsis of what happened back in 1912:

"The next day on Sunday September 8, 1912 in the nearby community of Oscarville, Mae Crow was walking to her aunt's house in the afternoon when she was assaulted by a black teenager named Earnest Daniel Knox. Dragging her into the woods and bashing her head on a rock, Knox raped the young woman and left her hidden in the woods. Crow was visited in the night by either Knox and associates or someone Knox had informed about his crime. Still alive, Crow was raped again and left in the woods. Crow was not found until the next morning, Monday September 9. Regaining consciousness for only a brief period she was able to name Knox as her assailant. Knox was arrested later that day, Monday September the 9th, at which point he confessed. He was first taken to the jail in Gainesville, but when a potential lynch mob began gathering in Gainesville, Knox was moved to a jail in Atlanta. Crow died of her injuries two weeks later on Monday, September 23, 1912.

On Tuesday morning four more blacks were arrested in connection with the Mae Crow assault: Oscar Daniel, Rob Edwards, Ed Collins, and Trussie Daniel. Ignoring the potential of provoking a lynch mob, they were detained in the Cumming jail. A mob soon gathered and stormed the jail. The mob shot Rob Edwards, mutilated his body with a tire iron, dragged his dead body around the square behind a wagon, and then hanged him from a telephone pole at the intersection of Main Street and Tribble Gap Road (the northwest corner of the Square). At this point the state militia was called in and Cumming was placed under martial law. The remaining prisoners were moved to a jail in Atlanta."

Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 45,417 times
I guess Northwind's post is to give history but I find it amazing how many racist people there still are. I am so not moved by the story of Mae Crow. Too many black suffered at the hands of people who thought they were better. Shamefull!

Although Cummings have changed within the past 25 years, if you're black don't think about moving, if you are white you will be safe.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 PM

454 posts, read 821,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizman56 View Post
Doing some research on Cumming GA in preparation for a possible move to Atlanta and came across a couple of YouTube videos that had videos of KKK rallies in the area back in 2010. Does this stuff really go on in the area?
Yes but not as much as 15years ago when Forsythe was the center of the resurgence of GA Klan activity. A lot of the hardcore members have moved a little north or east after the main two claverns split. The grand wizard of the remaining clavern lives in Hall county now and a lot of the lower ranks around the Gainsville area (some are still cops). If you ever visit the area near Cleveland GA you still see a lot of Klan stuff in front yards etc.

All of this is pretty common knowledge.........but they are more a joke these days than a threat. I would imagine a good few will probably switch to the tea party once they begin to oppose the transportation bill

Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangeray81 View Post
I guess Northwind's post is to give history but I find it amazing how many racist people there still are. I am so not moved by the story of Mae Crow. Too many black suffered at the hands of people who thought they were better. Shamefull!

Although Cummings have changed within the past 25 years, if you're black don't think about moving, if you are white you will be safe.
So now "history is "racist". And why would you not be "moved" by the fact that a young woman was beaten and raped to death by a group of people....is it simply because the victim was white that you have no empathy?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 45,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
So now "history is "racist". And why would you not be "moved" by the fact that a young woman was beaten and raped to death by a group of people....is it simply because the victim was white that you have no empathy?
Well since you asked...yes, yes and yes.

Most of America's history were acts of racism by a race called white or acts of white's feeling the need to subject racism against people unlike them. Is the history you've supplied not a story of racism? Whether against poor Mae Crow or against all of the blacks not involved that were chased from their home? Is it not racist to say blacks are not allowed to live in a town because whites don't want them there. No matter how you shake or stir it up...it still come out like racism.

Indeed, I have no emotional connection to the story of Mae Crow. Yes, she was beaten and raped, but so what! I am not saying so what because she was raped and beaten, that is not the part I am referring to. I say "so what" because if it was a white man that raped and beaten Mae Crow would the mob of upset whites kick all of the white people out? There is a true double standard whites created and still live by.

Do you have empathy for blacks living in society that lump all blacks into bad catorgies? Did you empathized with the black families that were not allowed to live in Cummings due to the outraged from the white residents of Cummings? Do you have ill mindset of blacks? If not, what was the point of posting that article? What it to be discrete about whites not wanting blacks in Cummings although " the expansion of the Atlanta metro area and the infusion of money into the county the place has changed dramatically over the last 25 years."????

I just don't get it. Why whites have the RIGHT to say what goes and what don't. What's bad..what's right...where people can live...

It's unfair to subject ill feelings and/or actions to a group of people because of their skin color. At the end of the day Mr. Northwind, we all bleed red. Don't you think it is unfair?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangeray81 View Post
Well since you asked...yes, yes and yes.

Most of America's history were acts of racism by a race called white or acts of white's feeling the need to subject racism against people unlike them. Is the history you've supplied not a story of racism? Whether against poor Mae Crow or against all of the blacks not involved that were chased from their home? Is it not racist to say blacks are not allowed to live in a town because whites don't want them there. No matter how you shake or stir it up...it still come out like racism.

Indeed, I have no emotional connection to the story of Mae Crow. Yes, she was beaten and raped, but so what! I am not saying so what because she was raped and beaten, that is not the part I am referring to. I say "so what" because if it was a white man that raped and beaten Mae Crow would the mob of upset whites kick all of the white people out? There is a true double standard whites created and still live by.

Do you have empathy for blacks living in society that lump all blacks into bad catorgies? Did you empathized with the black families that were not allowed to live in Cummings due to the outraged from the white residents of Cummings? Do you have ill mindset of blacks? If not, what was the point of posting that article? What it to be discrete about whites not wanting blacks in Cummings although " the expansion of the Atlanta metro area and the infusion of money into the county the place has changed dramatically over the last 25 years."????

I just don't get it. Why whites have the RIGHT to say what goes and what don't. What's bad..what's right...where people can live...

It's unfair to subject ill feelings and/or actions to a group of people because of their skin color. At the end of the day Mr. Northwind, we all bleed red. Don't you think it is unfair?
Well now, certainly Ms. Mae Crow bled red at the end of her days. As for blacks being kicked out of Forsyth County in 1912, I certainly don't condone what happened.....but, I can understand why a certain segment of society would react that way when their wives and children are being preyed upon by another segment of society....happens everyday all over the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta