Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:16 AM

29 posts, read 211,558 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me, is summer THAT bad there? How long (month wise) is the hot around for? If you have bad allergies, should you get the shot before moving there? Any weather or allergy tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,741,211 times
Yes, it's THAT bad. It's hot, muggy, humid, buggy, etc. Allergies are typically worse in the spring season. Allergy shots and/or pills are helpful but for the shot, you'll need at least 5 months in your system before you get here otherwise it won't work. I usually start my shots in January so by April there's nothing to worry about.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
I don't know where you are from, but honestly, outside of this heatwave currently, Atlanta summers are tolerable and nothing like other parts of the state, particularly to the south. I grew up in New England, and in the three years since I have been here, I still have yet to experience the most extreme summer weather that I had when in New England (104 F with a dewpoint of 78). It is EXTREMELY rare for dewpoints to get above 75 in Atlanta (maybe a handful of times when it is raining or at night), unlike areas in Florida where it is commonplace.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,105,276 times
In spite of the current stretch of 100+ degree days, if you look at weather stats, the number of above 90 degree days in the summer is actually lower than you would expect. People forget that Atlanta is about 1000 feet above sea level, moderating the climate in the summer and making it a little cooler in the winter.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:49 AM

8 posts, read 36,409 times
Coming from the west coast of Florida, the heat here is much milder. Of course, these past 2 weeks have been an exception to the rule. Even though we have higher temperatures (usually during August),the humidity is pretty decent on most occasions. Nothing at all like Florida which is hot from March through October/November and definitely unbearable in July and August.

In not being an allergy suffer, I cannot say what precautions you can take. However, the Spring, although beautiful to see the vast array of blooming trees, does bring on an onset of pollen. Your vehicle will end up being yellow a lot due to pollen! However, once you past that period, it is quite comfortable weatherwise.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:27 AM

431 posts, read 2,126,187 times
Again, it all depends on where you come from and how it compares. If you come from the West or the North, you'll probably freak out just on the humidity factor alone. But if you have spent even one summer in Florida, for example, then no, it's not hot here. Overall the weather is pretty mild all year round. Never too hot, never too cold. I will still say it's very humid in the summer though.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 PM

98 posts, read 471,492 times
Most people rarely spend much time outside. Parking is widely available everywhere you go, and every building has the A/C cranked up. Sometimes it's refreshing to go outside to 95 degree heat when you've been holed up in a refrigerator all day.

It's "hot" by most people's standards from May to October, but it's only "cold" in the winter for a month or two. Give and take.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,362 times
I have allergies and summer was never really a problem for me. It does get pretty hot, but not unbearable. I hated summers in Atlanta for different reasons (being from FL, I expected to go to the beach every weekend which is pretty impossible living in northern GA). Spring is worse by far. Bugs and pollen EVERYWHERE. I hate spring. Its a killer if youve got allergies.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Well first of all, there is no allergy "shot" - it's a SERIES of shots that in some people can take up to a year or more to take hold, depending on what the shots are specifically for. So, if you're not ready to go through the tests via the doctor to see what you need, it's one word - Benadryl.

Heat: Some think this is a heat wave - I tend to lean toward the, yes, climate change stuff. I've been here since 1984. I've slowly seen the summers here change. Slowwwwwwly... but it's happening. I would say that Atlanta summers today closely match North Florida summers of 1984. Another 20 years, and well, welcome to PANAMA!!

On the plus side, if you are a casual dresser, then you can wear short pants from March through October here. If you like to dress up - well, you're toast.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 AM

183 posts, read 1,007,643 times
atlantagreg, I had to laugh when you said
"if you have to dress up, you're toast!" That is so true.I find that as soon as I finish running errands, I come home and it's shorts and a tank top. I find going to restaurants I need a sweater then take it off while walking to the car. I guess there is no happy medium. You are either physically melting or publicly shivering! The past two weeks have been HOT! But it is tolerable.Thanks to air conditioning!My favorite time is around Oct. when you can open the windows and have a breeze air out the house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta