Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 7,090 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
After reading some of the postings including the stickys I'm hoping to get some info on places in the Atlanta area we'd want to look at for housing.

My wife and I are moving down there in the next 45-60 days for a job I've accepted. Neither of us has ever lived in the area nor do we know anyone. I've been there a couple of times on business trips but mainly in the downtown area.

Here are some details that may prove useful.

We're looking to rent the first year. Single family home, no apartments. Our budget is up to 1200 a month; prefer to keep it around 1000.

I'll be working for a company that's located 2 miles west of 285 and a few blocks south of 20. I really hate commutes and have been told the freeways in Atlanta are horrible (285 specifically). If possible I'd like to keep the drive time to less than 30 minutes.

We don't have kids, yet. So schools, at least for now are not a concern. We'll be buying a home in the next year and a half so we'll cross that bridge later.

Public transportation isn't really a concern.

We prefer not to live in areas where the neighbor’s house is an arms reach out the bedroom window and we prefer older construction with modern updates rather than new tract homes. Our main dislike is ranch styles.
Currently we live just on the outskirt of town and have about an acre of property. It's not quite living in the country, but it's not at the corner of main st and first ave either.

We are really into getting out and doing things. Huge baseball fans. (It will be so nice to live in a NL city again) Like to go to concerts, we're huge foodies and love hiking and discovering art museums, and the cultural side of where we're living.

Although I'll be traveling for work it’s only a few times a month; easy access to the airport would be nice, but it's not a game changer.

So...I think that covers most of the important points. I know Buckhead is cool, been there a couple of times (the only part of town other than downtown I know) but I'm very aware that's the way other side of town.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:47 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
When you are ready to buy, what do you think your house budget will be?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
When you are ready to buy, what do you think your house budget will be?
Honestly not certain yet as we don't know the market down there.
I would suspect in the 190-220k area but that is a wide guess based upon the market here.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 AM

p.s. we're going to be in town meeting with a relocation person this coming weekend. Hoep to narrow down some areas to look at by then.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Question: When you said :

I'll be working for a company that's located 2 miles west of 285 and a few blocks south of 20. ...

Are you 2 miles west of I285 On the West side of the I285 (outside the I285 Perimeter) , or 2 miles West of I285 on the East side (inside the I285 Perimeter) ????

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

I'll be working for a company that's located 2 miles west of 285 and a few blocks south of 20. ...

Are you 2 miles west of I285 On the West side of the I285 (outside the I285 Perimeter) , or 2 miles West of I285 on the East side (inside the I285 Perimeter) ????
2 miles west of the west side of 285.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Good question, I orginally took it to mean WEST side or close to Six Flags but perhaps its EAST side, close to Stone Mtn..

Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 AM

3,710 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Around 285 & I-20 on the west side the freeways have traffic but aren't horrible like the north side. It's going to be the surface/arterial streets that really bother you. Paulding County has tons of options for housing in your price range I'm sure, but getting TO I-20 is going to be a real pain. Might be better to live farther out to the west but closer to the interstate and zoom in on 20 in the morning. Maybe something like Villa Rica?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Price wise, you will have lots of options on the West Side of Atlanta and be able to get the land that you want (1/2 acre is easier to find then a full acre)

I live in Smyrna which would work except when you talk about updated older homes you are likely (but not always) looking at a ranch.

Many of the activiites you mentioned are closer intown but traffic is typically a non-issue on the weekends or after hours. The I-285 and I-20 interchange is particularly bad but mostly during traffic peak times.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Around 285 & I-20 on the west side the freeways have traffic but aren't horrible like the north side. It's going to be the surface/arterial streets that really bother you. Paulding County has tons of options for housing in your price range I'm sure, but getting TO I-20 is going to be a real pain. Might be better to live farther out to the west but closer to the interstate and zoom in on 20 in the morning. Maybe something like Villa Rica?
thank you for this. can you recommend some of the nicer areas in Paulding county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta