Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:44 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,826 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Well it looks like I have been blessed with a family willing to help us with our short term needs ...I have a few questions as I dont know the particular town very well ...anyone who can give me some info would be helping me out a great deal and I would be much appreciative...

God willing the new place to call home in GA(YAHOO) is a rental is Snellville. We did stay in Snellville on our search last month but were not able to find anything in our pricerange at the time so we didnt actually look to live there or into any services, schools etc. If anyone has any info that I can use to locate Drs both adult and pediatrics as well as Dentists and such as well as schools(I have been told it will be Snellville Middle school)I have done some research and its not the greatest school in the district from what I am told but again I think alot of it has to do with parental involvement. I have never met a school or faculty that said they had 100% involement which holds not only schools themselves, and administation accountable but the students and the community input ...Without parental involvement and care schools do not thrive because the kids dont feel that they are making a difference or that education is important. I grew up in City schools and my mom was always involved and not that I was an excellent student I was not and neither are my kids (they are better than I was and made it thru just fine...still have an 11 yr old) but My moms involvement made a big difference, I could tell that just by how well or otherwise my friends were doing in school etc...

I also will not have a car for awhile so does anyone know if there is public transportation or is any of the above mentioned in walking distance(I have heard walking in GA will get your quite alot of puzzled looks...My car just died I dont have a whole lot of choice..but with a child I need to be able to get around somehow...and if walking is the only way then what can I say...Ill be hoofin it for awhile...lol) there are worse things...

Anyways sorry for the babble..any info would be greatly appreciated and needed tremendously...Does anyone know anything about Norris Lake Shores? I have seen some photos and it looks very nice but I have not been able to find much else...One subdivison of many I am told...

Thanks ahead...
Lisa

Last edited by nibseysgirl; 08-19-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: needed to add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,803 times
I didnt live in Snellville, I lived in Lawrenceville (not too far from there).. public transportation in Gwinnett is pretty bad. Depending on where in Snellville you live, you can walk to places. But having a car in the burbs is essential. Most things are not walking distance, plus take into consideration the hills you have to climb up and down.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
I didnt live in Snellville, I lived in Lawrenceville (not too far from there).. public transportation in Gwinnett is pretty bad. Depending on where in Snellville you live, you can walk to places. But having a car in the burbs is essential. Most things are not walking distance, plus take into consideration the hills you have to climb up and down.
believe me life without a car in GA or anywhere is not my idea of a good time. I am hoping that we will be able to rectifiy that soon. I have thought of all yours points myself...especially when I first get there and am going to want to go galavanting lol....Thanks...Lisa

Old 08-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Ill be at a development called Norris Lake as far as I know at this point anyways...Lisa

Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM

16 posts, read 70,020 times
Lisa, Norris Lake is an older community located on the south part of Snellville off Hwy. 124. It is about 15 to 20 minutes from Hwy 78 which is north of there and about 15 to 20 minutes to Interstate 20 south of there. If you walk you will have a long walk to get to any shopping district. There are some convient stores in the area but not really close. The subdivision surrounds a good size lake and was built in the late sixties or early seventies. The road that goes around the lake is about 5 miles long and has a road that leads out to Hwy 124 about a mile long. I am not sure if there is any public transportation there. You would look at the Gwinnett Public Transportion or to your south would be Marta. You can check out there routes online on their websites. I wish you luck...Bill

Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 PM

75 posts, read 324,751 times
There is now a park and ride lot in Snellville. There is a daily public transportation to downtown Atlanta. I am not sure of the schedule or exactly how it works, but if you take a look at the Gwinnett Public Transportation website Route 418 (broken link). Hope that helps!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalugg View Post
There is now a park and ride lot in Snellville. There is a daily public transportation to downtown Atlanta. I am not sure of the schedule or exactly how it works, but if you take a look at the Gwinnett Public Transportation website Route 418 (broken link). Hope that helps!
Thanks so much! I will check it out...I dont need the "park" part but the "ride" would be nice...No car right now lol...Thanks...Lisa

Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wagner View Post
Lisa, Norris Lake is an older community located on the south part of Snellville off Hwy. 124. It is about 15 to 20 minutes from Hwy 78 which is north of there and about 15 to 20 minutes to Interstate 20 south of there. If you walk you will have a long walk to get to any shopping district. There are some convient stores in the area but not really close. The subdivision surrounds a good size lake and was built in the late sixties or early seventies. The road that goes around the lake is about 5 miles long and has a road that leads out to Hwy 124 about a mile long. I am not sure if there is any public transportation there. You would look at the Gwinnett Public Transportion or to your south would be Marta. You can check out there routes online on their websites. I wish you luck...Bill
Bill,
Thanks so much. I have a very good feeling about this move. I am not sure about the school my daughter will be going too but I do know that if her education lapses at all I will speak up b4 it becomes a problem. The family that is renting to us is very nice and thier home sounds very nice and I love the idea of living on a lake again and having alot for my daughter to do right in our own neighborhood. Life without a car in general stinks but I have been there b4 and I am sure we will have a car again soon....I do have one it just doesnt run right now(brake lines or MC are shot)...Thanks again for all your help...Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta