Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 AM

17 posts, read 50,087 times

Advertisements

People, people, people - don't be so negative! Look a little deeper. Out of the 30,800 jobs lost, 14,500 were in government. I call that a step in the right direction. Government is bloated and over-paid. Another 11,700 were in finance, reflecting our extremely high rate of foreclosures. The garden is just being weeded. Plus, my son is a student at Georgia Tech and being HIGHLY recruited, and most of the jobs are in Atlanta. As far as Detroit experiencing a large job growth - first, it doesn't take a lot of jobs to make a huge percentage increase in Detroit and second, what field are these jobs in? Hopefully, construction - they sure need it. Another thing, as far as Atlanta not having any big companies here? Atlanta ranks 3rd or 4th in the nation (depending on your source) in the number of Fortune 500 companies with headquarters here. Plus, according to Global Cities 2010: The Rankings - "With a gross domestic product of US$270 billion, Atlanta's economy ranks 15th among world cities and sixth in the nation."

Not too shabby...jeez, louise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 AM

3,713 posts, read 6,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyDecker View Post
The housing market crashed over 3 years ago and these stats are looking at just the last 12 months, therefore it doesn't appear that these job losses can be blamed on the lousy housing market. This doesn't look good folks!
Incorrect. Atlanta's entire net job losses in the last 12 months can be attributed to government (shrinking property value receipts), construction (property bust), and finance (heavily tied to property). There's no way to argue that the housing bubble's hangover is far from over. Other segments of our economy have been middling.

Here is a link to metro GDP growth over the last 12 months:

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...ewsrelease.htm

Atlanta is in the middle quintile (ahead of virtually all of Florida and California). So we have a lot fewer people working than last year, but we're performing relatively well in terms of the total amount of goods and service produced--at least near the national average.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,544,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertude View Post
People, people, people - don't be so negative! Look a little deeper. Out of the 30,800 jobs lost, 14,500 were in government. I call that a step in the right direction. Government is bloated and over-paid. Another 11,700 were in finance, reflecting our extremely high rate of foreclosures. The garden is just being weeded. Plus, my son is a student at Georgia Tech and being HIGHLY recruited, and most of the jobs are in Atlanta. As far as Detroit experiencing a large job growth - first, it doesn't take a lot of jobs to make a huge percentage increase in Detroit and second, what field are these jobs in? Hopefully, construction - they sure need it. Another thing, as far as Atlanta not having any big companies here? Atlanta ranks 3rd or 4th in the nation (depending on your source) in the number of Fortune 500 companies with headquarters here. Plus, according to Global Cities 2010: The Rankings - "With a gross domestic product of US$270 billion, Atlanta's economy ranks 15th among world cities and sixth in the nation."

Not too shabby...jeez, louise!
Its not negative its reality. Have you seen a job fair in Atlanta, its chaos. Our unemployment rate is higher than the nationwide figures. Yes Atlanta is still doing well and has tons of employed people, that is not the issue. The issue is getting Atlanta as close to full employment as possible.

And recruited and hired are 2 different things. Engineers have been hit in the head b/c they are related to housing/building. No loans means no new buildings means nothing to design. They better get a govt contract!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 AM

123 posts, read 380,866 times
I was just speaking with some co workers about this the other day. There are literally no opportunities here. I am born here, all my family is here, but I no longer desire to stay here. I am researching other cities for employment opportunities. I am nervous, but I realize I have no choice. I have a physical science degree, but I am thinking about going to school for Information Technology because its such an important field. By the way, government employees are not overpaid, the dimwits in Washington would like you to think that. They are the ones who are overpaid!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM

454 posts, read 822,435 times
Its really simple:

High end companies are not locating here like they were and instead choosing other cities. Low end companies may well still locate here but they bring little or no real value as they only want tax breaks and to pay low wages.

High earning/educated/wealthy people are also choosing other places to work and live. Once you have a certain wealth/income Atlanta becomes less appealing.

Low education/earning people are moving here because its cheap and fighting over a static pool of low end jobs.

As I mentioned in another thread we have zero luck getting resumes at my company for consultants etc at 120k plus but if we advertise for a secretary at 30k we get scores of applicants.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,537,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
One comment I would make is that if you listen carefully to both public and private sector experts, there are actually millions of jobs available in the US, but a lack of qualified applicants with the necessary skills.

Maybe what we need to do is focus on why people don't have the requisite skills?
I too think this is BS. However, if it is true, where the hell can someone find a list of these "missing" skill sets or get any sort of advice as to how to make themselves more appealing for these jobs? There is a big disconnect between employers and jobseekers when it comes to things like this and it seems like employers keep moving the goalposts after jobseekers have invested a lot of time and money trying to play catch up to their requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
In IT its REALLY about Certifications, Certifications & CERTIFICATIONS. Yes there is cheap labor over seas, but that hurts the entire country, not just the Atlanta market.
Nope. It's really about EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE. Certifications may get your resume through the filters but they alone won't usually get you the job.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,147,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
High end companies are not locating here like they were and instead choosing other cities. Low end companies may well still locate here but they bring little or no real value as they only want tax breaks and to pay low wages.
Even high-end companies want tax breaks. Some of the high-profile loses of companies Atlanta has suffered were probably bluffs just to make their present locales extend or give better tax breaks.

Quote:
High earning/educated/wealthy people are also choosing other places to work and live. Once you have a certain wealth/income Atlanta becomes less appealing.
What is the lack of appeal? High earners don't want to ride public transport.

Quote:
As I mentioned in another thread we have zero luck getting resumes at my company for consultants etc at 120k plus but if we advertise for a secretary at 30k we get scores of applicants.
As we discussed before, it probably has to do with industry wanting another company to train and invest in an employee so they can poach an expert. Everyone wants experts and entry-level need not apply. And then industry cries to the federal government to allow more visas for foreign workers or they "have to" off-shore because the "talent" is not here. I looked over at Emory's job postings...yup...they just want the highly experienced. The result being these highly experienced individuals get bounced from company to company which jacks up their salary demands. Then the companies cry because their high offers don't attract the workers. And so it goes....

Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM

815 posts, read 1,861,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
In IT its REALLY about Certifications, Certifications & CERTIFICATIONS. Yes there is cheap labor over seas, but that hurts the entire country, not just the Atlanta market.
Not sure about that, I didn't see the value in getting in certifications. How about looking at CS degree and my actual code/portfolio, as well as my diverse experience showing I can handle multiple roles/applications/. Certifications are pretty much a vendor lock in waste for what I do, I would never pay for one. Anyway, I don't care about companies anymore, I work for myself. I don't make as much as I could or used to...but I also enjoy it much more and have my sanity back. Though it's still nice to be in a metro which compensate for certain projects more. There are definitely metros who value certain work more.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,388,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
stop switching topics, people. This is an Atlanta issue, not a national issue. This statistic is FACT.

Let's stop bickering because that takes away from the FACTS.

WHY is Atlanta such a horrible job market?

Tell us Johnatl... i'm waiting.
Excuse me?

How/why is this on me?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:51 PM

454 posts, read 822,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Even high-end companies want tax breaks. Some of the high-profile loses of companies Atlanta has suffered were probably bluffs just to make their present locales extend or give better tax breaks.

What is the lack of appeal? High earners don't want to ride public transport.

As we discussed before, it probably has to do with industry wanting another company to train and invest in an employee so they can poach an expert. Everyone wants experts and entry-level need not apply. And then industry cries to the federal government to allow more visas for foreign workers or they "have to" off-shore because the "talent" is not here. I looked over at Emory's job postings...yup...they just want the highly experienced. The result being these highly experienced individuals get bounced from company to company which jacks up their salary demands. Then the companies cry because their high offers don't attract the workers. And so it goes....
Atlanta doesn't have much appeal once you earn a lot. Over a certain level people most will choose other locations if they have a choice. As wealth increase people care less about the cost of their house and taxes and more about clean air, infrastructure, culture, schools etc IMHO. I hear this often when we try and relocate people.

GA needs to look at itself and get out of this race to the bottom where we are competing for low paid jobs and giving tax breaks to bad companies just because a brother of the Governor or similar owns the plot of land they are moving to and will build on. We need to attract the right kind of companies and people and its pretty obvious by now that tax breaks for chicken farmers isn't cutting it

Totally agree about companies only wanting experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta