Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:46 PM

257 posts, read 471,473 times

Advertisements

If debt isn't an issue, then Morehouse is fine. It isn't that good of a school, but black people in Atlanta think it is, so he'll likely get a job.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM

54 posts, read 182,964 times
We are going to visit the schools in the next month or so before early admissions. See organizations and other important features in choosing a college. We are going to talk to financial aid and admissons. And people who graduated from there. Thanks for all the advice and opinions so far.

He and I are indifferent right now.

I do want him to have that black experience= "MLK, spike lee, etc" but i just want to know is the black experience worth the investment in college. (160,000+ over four years)
How much as I love the hidden ivies (graduate of Duke university/medical school).
I know it is nothing like Morehouse/Spelman College.

But i thought since it was one of the top and most famous for black education, that it can provide a stellar education.

He is a die hard pre law major. To another poster, He has done his first internship over the summer and really likes it. Being a lawyer is his passions. So I want to stir him in the right direction on to which college to chose.

But I have did research on Morehouse College and Georgetown. Morehouse is a top feeder school for graduate school and Georgetown is a very very good school. So we are still debating about it

Thanks for all your opinions

Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM

136 posts, read 256,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
Look at any objective statistic. Georgetown is a better school by any measure. If the "black experience" is that important, then go to Morehouse. Otherwise, it'd be stupid to decline Georgetown for Morehouse.
Quote:
If debt isn't an issue, then Morehouse is fine. It isn't that good of a school, but black people in Atlanta think it is, so he'll likely get a job.
These quotes would lead me to believe that you may feel the "objective statistic" from a white perspective is more alluring and valid than that of "black people in Atlanta" . Youre telling the OP to look at stats from magazines or periodicals, but there are also stats in Black Enterprise, Essence or other magazines that rank Morehouse very high. Do we dismiss those publications? Do we dismiss the heresay of blacks for the heresay of whites? Just askin....

Old 10-01-2011, 09:57 PM

54 posts, read 182,964 times
Quote:
Do you know first hand knowledge of Morehouse College. Can you explain your experiences there??

Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,551,595 times
Quote:
I'm not a big Morehouse fan but this is a WTF comment

Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,467,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Even as a black male who grew up primarily around blacks, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to attend Georgetown. It's in DC afterall, so you won't be lacking the "black experience".

As for Morehouse, I've personally known two, very different alumni. One was a moderately talented snob, who possessed an undeserved sense of self-importance. An Atlanta native and proud "Morehouse Man". The other, with whom I'm still friends with, was a true prodigy. Very intelligent, spiritual, and artistic, yet very laid-back and humble. While he enjoyed getting his education, one of his biggest complaints was feeling like he didn't belong there. He admits, however, that attending an institution for black men was a life changing experience.
Well you grew up primarily around blacks as did I so there was no need to go to a college to get the "black experience". Frankly if I'd been the caliber of student the OP's son had been I would go to Georgetown.

Also you correctly point out that Georgetown is in DC Aka. Chocolate City he'll be around lots of Blacks it'll just take some doing.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 AM

He wants to be a lawyer? That has to be another check in the Georgetown the column. He'll be able to potentially land internships at the top firms many with major offices in DC, not to mention government agencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post
We are going to visit the schools in the next month or so before early admissions. See organizations and other important features in choosing a college. We are going to talk to financial aid and admissons. And people who graduated from there. Thanks for all the advice and opinions so far.

He and I are indifferent right now.

I do want him to have that black experience= "MLK, spike lee, etc" but i just want to know is the black experience worth the investment in college. (160,000+ over four years)
How much as I love the hidden ivies (graduate of Duke university/medical school).
I know it is nothing like Morehouse/Spelman College.

But i thought since it was one of the top and most famous for black education, that it can provide a stellar education.

He is a die hard pre law major. To another poster, He has done his first internship over the summer and really likes it. Being a lawyer is his passions. So I want to stir him in the right direction on to which college to chose.

But I have did research on Morehouse College and Georgetown. Morehouse is a top feeder school for graduate school and Georgetown is a very very good school. So we are still debating about it

Thanks for all your opinions

Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
These quotes would lead me to believe that you may feel the "objective statistic" from a white perspective is more alluring and valid than that of "black people in Atlanta" . Youre telling the OP to look at stats from magazines or periodicals, but there are also stats in Black Enterprise, Essence or other magazines that rank Morehouse very high. Do we dismiss those publications? Do we dismiss the heresay of blacks for the heresay of whites? Just askin....
Georgetown is in the top 10 on the BE list for best schools for blacks. Also their methodology is weak they just ask black professionals. Us News incorporates other opinions and some objective measures.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,383,583 times
my thoughts as somebody who has never even been near that campus: it is a niche private school where people that cant get into better schools go, while thinking they are aaawesome!

you asked about perceptions. this is mine.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 AM

257 posts, read 471,473 times
I was just repeating a streamlined synthesis of the arguments of the pro-Morehouse crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta