Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM

12 posts, read 41,364 times

Advertisements

I am a college student who commutes and is living in Austell.

I find that when I am in downtown atlanta, I get approached more often, but when I am in my city, I am less frequently approached. I used to be on dating websites, real HEAVY, I mean every website, you name it I have been on there.
But I just recently deleted all of those websites and stuck to the normal twitter/facebook.

Now, I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to this. My university has events where I can meet people and have fun, but my university is known for just partying,sex, and no relationships.

I am an attractive and sociable person but I don't want to have to always take 30-50 min (depending on traffic) drive to go to Atlanta to mingle with some men and get approached.

Are there any venues or places in the Cobb County area where people of 21+ hang out and meet each other and have fun? Im not talking about "club nights" , but genuine places that I can meet like minded individuals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
You are not a dude?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:17 PM

I am a female.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:58 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
The suburbs totally suck for meeting people. That's why there are so many singles who move to the city. And even the city isn't all that great for meeting people if you aren't thrilled with the club scene.

Take it from me. You are probably in the best possible place(school) for meeting like-minded people who are datable. You are the one who controls the extent of the relationship(sex only, long term, etc.) and I'm sure there are plenty of guys at your school looking for something more than a fling. Once you get out of college, you'll probably be even more dependent on those dating sites so don't overlook what's right in front of you. The women I knew who were always complaining about the situation in college are still complaining about it years afterward.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Smh, plenty of guys looking for something more than a fling?, nahhh. If they are here, they are probably hiding in some underground world in which they have been captured.

But really, I am done with the online scene, I have been on there for years, and I am done with it.
Meeting people online is 99.5% not serious and the rest(which is like a lottery pick) possibly enough to date someone from short term to long term.

It sucks, even though these same statistics could possibly stand in real life (we know its Atlanta) at least I will be able to sense bull**** and pick up on it quickly.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Blame the divorce laws and the feminist movement, don't blame atl men. Women wanted equal rights and this is what u get

Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ada.junila View Post
Are there any venues or places in the Cobb County area where people of 21+ hang out and meet each other and have fun? Im not talking about "club nights" , but genuine places that I can meet like minded individuals?
Some might suggest going to places where you might normally like to hang out, like a local coffee shop (Rev Coffee in Smyrna?) or a local bookstore or something.

While not the same thing, my wife and I have both met quite a few friends via OkCupid, but you said the online thing wasn't your cup of tea anymore.

Other than that, I dunno. I mostly meet people through work or my wife these days.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ada.junila View Post
Smh, plenty of guys looking for something more than a fling?, nahhh. If they are here, they are probably hiding in some underground world in which they have been captured.

But really, I am done with the online scene, I have been on there for years, and I am done with it.
Meeting people online is 99.5% not serious and the rest(which is like a lottery pick) possibly enough to date someone from short term to long term.

It sucks, even though these same statistics could possibly stand in real life (we know its Atlanta) at least I will be able to sense bull**** and pick up on it quickly.
You sound so jaded with the whole dating scene. What are you? 22? 24 at the oldest? Unless you are going to Spelman or Agnes Scott you shouldn't be having any problems. Trust me, there are plenty of guys out there interested in something more substantial but you just don't notice them cause they usually aren't the ones out hounding women all the time. I have a suggestion. If you don't think the guys approaching you are up to your standard, try approaching some guys who might actually be worth your time. I know it's a novel concept and all, being only 40-50 years after the sexual revolution, but there's nothing at all wrong with a woman taking the initiative. I've never heard of a guy responding with "ewwww" or "as if..." when a woman approaches them.

Where do you go to school if you don't mind me asking? Is there really an actual true party school in Atlanta? I'm having a hard time believing that.

With online dating you get what you put into it. I have had friends who've had some success with it but they've put in the effort. I've dabbled in it and never really put much effort into it but I think it's just another way to meet people. I have met a handful of decent women through sites so they're not totally useless and the stigma still associated with them is so 1990's. Atlanta is spread out and it seems like the hot spots are so hit or miss. It's pretty tough to meet people in this city compared to others so every little bit helps.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I agree more or less.

There are just too many factors these days that totally disincentivizes old-fashion dating. That's not to say people still don't date and have decent relationships. It's just that individuals nowadays be they male or female have a higher bar to climb to prove that they are worth spending time with.

The dating scene is a freemarket like anywhere else and in this market folks have to step it up a notch and promote themselves as being viable matches.

Unfortunately, there are far too many people(especially in Atlanta) who still seem to try govern themselves by the old-world pre-feminist movement/puritanical rules and play that "catch me if you can" chasing game. That concept is sooo 1990s and before.

Budgets are smaller(courtesy of competing with females for the same jobs), time is shorter(Atlanta traffic stinks), the awareness of the blatant unfairness of divorce laws are becoming more widespread(Thank the internet) and the result is a decreasing willingness to abide by those old-world rules.

Don't hate the players, hate the game, ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Blame the divorce laws and the feminist movement, don't blame atl men. Women wanted equal rights and this is what u get

Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Great advice, but I think the problem is too many women in this country are still driven by pretense and image-protection, which is likely a by-product of America's cultural adherence to puritanism. In the south this mindset is even more wide entrenched.

A lot of them just can't deal with the possibility of rejection and will not approach the man as a result. So we can expect more of these same complaints of women not finding suitable mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
You sound so jaded with the whole dating scene. What are you? 22? 24 at the oldest? Unless you are going to Spelman or Agnes Scott you shouldn't be having any problems. Trust me, there are plenty of guys out there interested in something more substantial but you just don't notice them cause they usually aren't the ones out hounding women all the time. I have a suggestion. If you don't think the guys approaching you are up to your standard, try approaching some guys who might actually be worth your time. I know it's a novel concept and all, being only 40-50 years after the sexual revolution, but there's nothing at all wrong with a woman taking the initiative. I've never heard of a guy responding with "ewwww" or "as if..." when a woman approaches them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta