Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM

461 posts, read 1,069,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I thought Trader Joe's had rather emphatically said it wasn't coming to Decatur.

Decatur Metro » Proposed Walmart at Suburban Plaza Info Pours Out of Neighborhood Meeting
Trader Joe's told Selig to take a hike, not Decatur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Trader Joe's told Selig to take a hike, not Decatur.
How about this?

Quote:
Since no one seems to believe me when I say that the city has approached Trader Joe’s about a store in the past and that TJ’s said the numbers just don’t work, here’s a report from a resident who talked with TJ’s CFO last week. Billy Planer writes in FFAF…

I was in Los Angeles last weekend and my friend introduced me to the CFO of Trader Joe’s. I told him I was from Decatur and he looked up and smiled and said “oh we have heard of Decatur. Your town is very persistent in contacting us about a location there”. He then went on to tell me it won’t be happening…the numbers just don’t work for them and he said that the midtown location is a really nice one but he wishes the roads near it were paved better and he was excited that we may go with Sunday alcohol sales.

Decatur Metro » Trader Joe’s CFO Knows About Decatur, But…

Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Wal-mart sucks....

Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Wal-mart sucks....
And let's face it, so does Trader Joe's.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
And let's face it, so does Trader Joe's.
This is stronger than I would put it, but JPD has a point.

I was so happy when I heard or read (can't recall which) the AJC's John Kessler say that in his opinion, TJ's is "not all that," expanding to the effect that it's just a bunch of packaged processed food. I so agree, and had been wondering why I wasn't understanding peoples' enthusiasm for the place.

Personally, I don't buy much in the way of prepared food, and for what I do buy, I mostly like the standard national brands (e.g. Lean Cuisine frozen meals - a handy resource for a quick lunch or dinner for one) better than the TJ's equivalents, which I've found of uneven seeming quality.

There are a very few things I do buy regularly at TJ's, since there's a store convenient to me and I like their version of these items. Organic peanut butter, canned dog food, the tomato soup that comes in a box. Those are good. (Well, I can't speak personally to the taste of the dog food, you understand, but I think it's wholesome). But that's so few items, if TJ's disappeared tomorrow I'd feel only the mildest regret.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
This is stronger than I would put it, but JPD has a point.

I was so happy when I heard or read (can't recall which) the AJC's John Kessler say that in his opinion, TJ's is "not all that," expanding to the effect that it's just a bunch of packaged processed food. I so agree, and had been wondering why I wasn't understanding peoples' enthusiasm for the place.
I have to agree. The high end grocery biz in this town is ferocious and it seems to me Trader Joe's will have to kick it up a notch (or several notches) to keep pace with the competition.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree. The high end grocery biz in this town is ferocious and it seems to me Trader Joe's will have to kick it up a notch (or several notches) to keep pace with the competition.
I'm so glad y'all are saying this because that was the impression I got too. I went to the TJ out at the Forum. I'd never been in one before and frankly I wasn't feeling it AT ALL. I'm primarily a scratch cook and I simply didn't see anything in there to buy. I did buy some trail mix, but frankly mine is better.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
I only go to Trader Joe's for Kerry Gold butter -- they sell it for about a $1 less per package than Publix, so I stock up every few months.

I remember a friend out on the west coast talking about how fabulous Trader Joe's was years before they ever moved here. I was envious at the time, but the only Trader Joe's I've been to is the one in Midtown and if it is typical, then I can't get excited about it.

Of course, the same can be said for some of the Whole Foods. The Briarcliff one, which is the one I typically go to when I shop at Whole Foods is too small and not particularly impressive. But when I'm forced out to Sandy Springs for some reason, I try to stop by that Whole Foods, which seems much larger and seems to have a much better selection.

Still, regardless of the big box that happens to be going into Suburban Plaza, I'm just glad something is going in now. With the economy like it has been, I'm a bit surprised they were able to get a deal put together at this point and I'm thrilled the area won't be continuing to decline.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Still, regardless of the big box that happens to be going into Suburban Plaza, I'm just glad something is going in now. With the economy like it has been, I'm a bit surprised they were able to get a deal put together at this point and I'm thrilled the area won't be continuing to decline.
You're not the only one. All those rats across the street at Medlock Plaza are going to be happy to have some new feeding grounds.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
My girlfriend and I rarely have time to cook in the evenings and don't want to spend $$$ on a restaurant, so we get LOTS of TJ's stuff. We can hardly keep up with stocking all sorts of ingredients to make meals from scratch, and when we do sometimes they expire because there are only two of us. Trader Joe's meals put the junk in a normal grocery store to shame. You've just gotta look beyond the microwavable meals to get the best stuff--the best ones are prepared in the skillet. The spicy beef and broccoli is my favorite.

And besides, the place is pretty much worth it for the booze alone IYAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta