Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf2011 View Post
Lol at "soul train" awards. Atlanta really is stuck in the old timey days.
You know they choose atl over your fav city for the awards

Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM

369 posts, read 657,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's a valid criticism. Atlanta can build all the tall buildings it wants but it can never manufacture a waterfront.
A lot of things are possible with today's science, they could definitely build a large lake a la Orlando.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:06 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Just curious, how much of Atlanta have you guys seen? Where I own at is North ATL...I am 30 minutes from a new mutimillion dollar racetrack for cars and bikes(Yes)..as well as 45 minutes from the mountains...45 minutes from the city of ATL?? Mountains?? Racetracks?? There is a lake although I do not frequent it much....I say this to say that there are natural elements not far.
I think the term "relative" is apropos to glean proper understanding....and not "absolutism".....hence.....I am not arguing that Atlanta has no natural beauty. Hell....even Whoopi Goldberg has some natural beauty....but she aint Nia Long..

Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
A lot of things are possible with today's science, they could definitely build a large lake a la Orlando.

yes.....but Detroit will likely have 20 new skyscrapers before Atlanta builds a waterfront....lol.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I meant "very different" with respect to the professional network. DC is a mix and mingle town. Everyone is very Type-A. The life's blood of the city is relationships and networking. It's rumored, for example, that more political deals have been made on the back pews of Metropolitan A.M.E. Church than in the halls of the Capitol. Restaurants like the Palm, Kinkead's and Old Ebbitt Grille are famous for being the preferred destinations of politicos. If you sit in there long enough, you'll see anyone from James Carville to Nancy Pelosi.

In Atlanta, people aren't as Type-A, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a much more carefree city than DC; people are more or less working to live. The tradeoff, though, is that the city does not feel quite as "happening" as DC. People in DC kinda have this attitude like, "I'm doing big sh*t." But then the downside to that is that the city draws a disproportionate number of ruthless, power-hungry sociopaths. No city can have it all, right?
OK, I see where you're coming from now. Valid points, and I'd say the only other city to have this sort of quality that DC possesses is NY and possibly Chicago (but to a lesser extent). It's just a built-in thing that can't be replicated really.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM

369 posts, read 657,441 times
And let's be clear when we're talking about professional Blacks in the D.C. We might as well say Maryland. D.C. area is unique in that respect. You can get away with calling Cobb or DeKalb Atlanta but D.C. is a separate state from Maryland (although technically it gave the land) and most Blacks in D.c. proper live in poverty while it's the opposite in Prince George's and Montgomery Counties.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
The thread is..

"The NY Times: Stars Flock to Atlanta--Reshaping a Center of Black Culture"

Not do you like Atlanta

Also this thread is about Atlanta and Entertainment so telling about another city political leaders and culture critics is off topic anyways.

Just saying

Old 12-02-2011, 01:16 PM

864 posts, read 1,124,009 times
Quote:
I ignored your post because it was dumb. Had you read your own articles, you would have noticed that the black business ownership rate is higher in the District of Columbia than it is in Georgia. Besides, the article features a Cinnabon owner in the pictures. Big deal.

I suppose if you added up the JJ's Rib Shacks and Bronner Brothers of the ATL metro, then Atlanta would best DC. But is that something to really brag about?
I have read your comments and your arrogance when expressing your opinion on others careers or jobs is sickening. Owning a business no matter what service it provides is something to be proud of period , especially for us black folk. How dare you toot your nose up at a sucessful business just becuase it doesn't seem "cutting edge" like a federal lawlyer. This is the kind crap attitude that keeps our people down, not a lack of lawyers (like the world really needs more of those).

Old 12-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
With what?
A huge lack of evidence on your part. A four-year old thread with the last comment occurring a year ago really doesn't count, lol.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
yes.....but Detroit will likely have 20 new skyscrapers before Atlanta builds a waterfront....lol.
Actually I'd put my money on the latter happening first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta