Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why is it a completely different city? Was it bombed and rebuilt since I left? Oh......they have about 15 new skyscrapers since then and tons of new strip malls and extra lanes on 75.......boy that ought to change my opinion of the place.
Your sarcastic reply really isn't worthy of a serious response, but since it appears that you're genuinely ignorant of the progress that Atlanta has made since the early 90's, I suppose I'll give one anyway.

There was this little international event called the Olympics that happened in 1996 in Atlanta. Opinions about the logistics and commercialization of the games aside, that represented a huge turning point in the life of the city. You're obviously being facetious when you ask if the city was "bombed and rebuilt" since you left, but that's actually not too darn far from the truth. The 80,000-seat Olympic Stadium where Muhammad Ali lighted the caldron to open the Games was reconfigured as a 50,000-seat ballpark for the Braves. Dorms built for athletes were later converted into housing for Georgia State University students. Centennial Park was carved out of 21 acres of abandoned blight downtown and begat projects later on, too, like the Georgia Aquarium, the new World of Coca Cola and a surge of condo and office building. The city is the first in the nation to essentially raze all of its public housing projects and erect more mixed-use developments in their place. The mixed-use, New Urbanist Atlantic Station development replaced a large brownfield site in Midtown in 2005 and received the EPA's 2004 Phoenix Award as the Best National Brownfield Redevelopment as well as the Sierra Club's 2005 America's Best New Development Projects listing. MARTA also underwent expansion in the time since you've been gone. The Bankhead Station went into service in December 1992, and in June 1993, MARTA extended East Line services through Kensington to Indian Creek Station. In 2000, MARTA opened two new rail stations – Sandy Springs and North Springs – on the North Line. The 47-acre Lindbergh City Center, a TOD centered around the Lindbergh MARTA station, opened in 2002. The 28-acre New Urbanist Glenwood Park development opened in 2005 on a former industrial site two miles east of downtown and received a Charter Award from the Congress for the New Urbanism in that same year. The 2.7 mile, 12-station streetcar line that will run from Centennial Olympic Park to the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site on Auburn Avenue is set to begin operations in 2013. The Beltline project, which will be a 22-mile public transit, trails, and parks loop around the heart of the city of Atlanta on the site of an abandoned rail and industrial corridor, is a long-range project that has already spawned infrastructure improvements and a new signature park in Fourth Ward. Also, historic urban neighborhood villages like Castleberry Hill, Virginia-Highland, and East Atlanta Village have experienced considerable investment and have become popular regional destinations since the early 90's.

And this is just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM

369 posts, read 658,015 times
Quote:
First, fortune 500 companies are way overrated. Most job growth in America comes from small businesses....and not fortune 500 companies. Secondly, what percentage of Metropolitan blacks live the city of Atlanta proper? What percentage of the entire metro area lives in the city of Atlanta proper? My point......its that focusing on the city proper is passe.....as most people in metro areas do not live in the city proper. Thus, focusing on the crime rate in the city of Detroit proper vs the crime rate in the city of Atlanta proper is a moot point if one lives in Southfield, Michigan and Lithonia, Georgia. Thirdly, I would take Detroit's downtown riverfront over 30 new skyscrapers....and the fact that I can go underground and end up in another country in less than 5 minutes. So yes....each city has its thing..
I beg to differ it's only because of a hostile and lacking business climate that was created by government officials does Detroit suffer today and now they're trying to play catch-up. Baltimore government officials suck too with high-taxes everywhere. What this does is create a burden on property owners i.e. tax paying residents to pick up the slack. The more corporations one has the less burden on the homeowner. Just take a look around the nation, its not really surprising that the high-tax ironically liberal states are doing the worst from California to Illinois.

And do you know what the definition of a "small businesses" is? The U.S. Small Business Administration defines a small business as a sole proprietorship and a company with 499 or less as a small business.

What percentage of Metropolitan blacks live the city of D.C. proper?
And as far as intellectual Blacks in D.C., it really should be intellectual Blacks in Maryland. Blacks in D.C. for the most part live low to low middle class lives at best and definitely don't have college degrees as common place.

I wouldn't wish Detriots situation on my worst enemy, waterfront et al. Atlanta could have built itself a nice waterfront with as much money and opportunity that city has lost, not to mention the cost of negative perceptions.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM

32,151 posts, read 34,812,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think we have enough, or close to enough, Black lawyers and judges, but I agree with you concerning finance and the hard sciences.
We have enough black lawyers doing civil rights work. We have enough black lawyers doing employment law, real estate law, labor law, and "entertainment" law. We do not have, however, enough black lawyers practicing antitrust, securities, maritime, patent and bankruptcy law. You know, like, the sh*t that actually runs the world. When it comes to high level access, we're getting locked out.

Quote:
Yes DC attracts more college-educated Blacks, but it should be kept in mind that a significant percentage of non-degreed Blacks who move to Atlanta are retirees from DC and points further north who acquired public sector jobs right out of high school and have comfortable pensions that allow their dollars to stretch much further in an area with a lower cost of living like Atlanta.
This is understating it a bit, no? Washington, DC attracts more blacks with advanced degrees than Atlanta. There are very few places in that town where you can get a job with only a Bachelor's Degree. So DC is not only drawing in a larger pool of educated blacks, it's drawing in more educated blacks than Atlanta.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 AM

4,845 posts, read 6,117,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What's really going on in Atlanta that's really so special? The AU Center has fine liberal arts schools (Morehouse and Spelman, really), but then their brightest students end up going to grad schools in the Northeast or on the West Coast, and then end up in NYC or DC.

I'm trying to think of any major black cultural critics that live in Atlanta. I know Toure (former writer for Rolling Stone) lives in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. And so does Nelson George. Cornel West is leaving Princeton to return to NYC.

What's Atlanta's equivalent of The Root?

Black News, Opinion, Politics and Culture - The Root

Or Alvin Ailey?

Alvin Ailey Homepage | Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

Or Impact?

IMPACT - Political Involvement, Civic Engagement, Economic Empowerment

You'd think that these types of things would be the basis of any proclamation that X city is a mecca of black culture.
You basically just ignore my post so here's a repost and a break down.

Besides
1. The Stanky Leg came from Dallas and has nothing to do with Atlanta, "this statement tells everything"
This shows you really don't know what your talking about.

2. Georgia has the highest percentage of black owed business of any state,
Georgia #1 for black-owned businesses - Live, Local, Late Breaking news, weather, and sports
3. Metro Atlanta has the 3rd largest black college student population and
4.Atlanta has the Atlanta University Center the largest contiguous consortium of African Americans in higher education in the United States.

ARCHE Report: Higher Education in America
5. The hometown of MLK, home base of SCLC and other civil rights groups
6. W. E. B. Du Bois taught at Atlanta University, were he came out with some of is earliest theories " The Talented Tenth" and etc.
7. Booker T wrote the Atlanta Compromise
8. Andrew Young was mayor of Atlanta.

Dude Atlanta history and culture is stark in African Americans leaders that change the country what the heck are you talking about. The International Civil Rights Walk of Fame is in Atlanta and your asking about Atlanta impact with political leaders and cultural critics.. Really? )

Southern Christian Leadership Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta in the Civil Rights Movement

The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow . Jim Crow Stories . The Atlanta Compromise Speech | PBS

Were building the National Center for Civil & Human Rights.
Home Page - National Center for Civil & Human Rights - More than a Civil Rights Museum - Atlanta, GA

100 Black Men of America is head quarter in Atlanta.
100 Black Men of America, Inc.
9. Sweet auburn is one of the most important African American neighborhoods in the US by history.
9. Atlanta films and TV scene for African Americans is a lot broader then Tyler Perry.
10. Atlanta is reflecting the broader state of African American culture today,
11. Atlanta hiphop culture is everything from Outkast to Goodie mob. ATL urban scene is pretty diverse.
12. Atlanta is also a major center for R&B/soul as it's for hiphop.

Atlanta's African American culture didn't pop up 10 years ago, because all of your little Tyler Perry, and etc, jokes don't even don't reference something longer than 10 years ago.

Again It's hard to compete with New York but Atlanta does well against Chicago, DC and etc. And you haven't disprove that.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,030,554 times
Atlanta Comes in Second in Terms of Blacks Having Bachelor's Degree
According to the Brookings Institute, 24% of people who hold a college degree in Atlanta is black. (276,000)

10% of people in NYC with college degrees are black. (451,000)

15% of people DC who hold college degrees are black.(250,000)

Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM

864 posts, read 1,125,197 times
Quote:
My point is that one can find a good quality of life......without moving to the "black mecca". Atlanta has been the number one relocation destination for migrating blacks the last decade. Obviously people are voting with their feet assuming that one moves to improve their quality of life. I know a few people, with low job skills and on public assistance who somehow believe that their life is going to be a lot better once they move to Atlanta. Why? Its because someone put it in their head that Atlanta was the land of opportunity for black folks.
Who's fault is that?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,727,097 times
Quote:
Your sarcastic reply really isn't worthy of a serious response, but since it appears that you're genuinely ignorant of the progress that Atlanta has made since the early 90's, I suppose I'll give one anyway.

There was this little international event called the Olympics that happened in 1996 in Atlanta. Opinions about the logistics and commercialization of the games aside, that represented a huge turning point in the life of the city. You're obviously being facetious when you ask if the city was "bombed and rebuilt" since you left, but that's actually not too darn far from the truth. The 80,000-seat Olympic Stadium where Muhammad Ali lighted the caldron to open the Games was reconfigured as a 50,000-seat ballpark for the Braves. Dorms built for athletes were later converted into housing for Georgia State University students. Centennial Park was carved out of 21 acres of abandoned blight downtown and begat projects later on, too, like the Georgia Aquarium, the new World of Coca Cola and a surge of condo and office building. The city is the first in the nation to essentially raze all of its public housing projects and erect more mixed-use developments in their place. The mixed-use, New Urbanist Atlantic Station development replaced a large brownfield site in Midtown in 2005 and received the EPA's 2004 Phoenix Award as the Best National Brownfield Redevelopment as well as the Sierra Club's 2005 America's Best New Development Projects listing. MARTA also underwent expansion in the time since you've been gone. The Bankhead Station went into service in December 1992, and in June 1993, MARTA extended East Line services through Kensington to Indian Creek Station. In 2000, MARTA opened two new rail stations – Sandy Springs and North Springs – on the North Line. The 47-acre Lindbergh City Center, a TOD centered around the Lindbergh MARTA station, opened in 2002. The 28-acre New Urbanist Glenwood Park development opened in 2005 on a former industrial site two miles east of downtown and received a Charter Award from the Congress for the New Urbanism in that same year. The 2.7 mile, 12-station streetcar line that will run from Centennial Olympic Park to the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site on Auburn Avenue is set to begin operations in 2013. The Beltline project, which will be a 22-mile public transit, trails, and parks loop around the heart of the city of Atlanta on the site of an abandoned rail and industrial corridor, is a long-range project that has already spawned infrastructure improvements and a new signature park in Fourth Ward. Also, historic urban neighborhood villages like Castleberry Hill, Virginia-Highland, and East Atlanta Village have experienced considerable investment and have become popular regional destinations since the early 90's.

And this is just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.
I would be a liar and a fool if I did not recognize that gaining almost 2 million people, since I last lived there, has not resulted in any new construction. I visited Atlanta about 5 years ago.....and there were a lot of new things to see. However.......I just was not impressed. Places that impress me are places with a lot of natural amenities, like waterfront, lake shore, mountains and natural beauty. I did like the rolling hills and tall skinny trees in the area....however. I am just being honest.......Atlanta just does not impress me.....not its "blackness" or anything else. That does not mean that I would not live there again or I would not be happy there.....its just a place that I could take it or leave it.....nothing special.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM

32,151 posts, read 34,812,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I am not attacking you but can you quantify and otherwise prove as absolute these statements that you made? I see you are from the Bronx, and I split time between ATL and NYC....just saying that so that you know I am not an ardent cheerleader of either. There are other places I deem better than both in different respects but I live both places and like em.
You can go to SCOTUS blog and check out the SC's current docket. It'll tell you what firms are involved and then you can look at their websites and check out the work they do. Williams & Connolly, for example, is probably DC's fiercest and best-reputed law firm. Their lawyers represented Bill Clinton during his impeachment scandal. Our current AG, Eric Holder, was a partner at Covington & Burling. Both firms only take the best of the best of the best.

SCOTUSblog

Williams & Connolly LLP

Covington & Burling LLP | Diversity | Leaders in Diversity

I'll try to find a source on the number of black women in Ph.D programs nationwide. But off the top of my head, I'd say it's probably around 2 right now, and one will quit within the year. The one who stays is likely Nigerian. Overall, I think fewer than 10 blacks receive Ph.Ds in Econ a year, and the bulk of those come here from Africa.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I don't understand why Nyc'ers are worried about Atlanta when half of the Blk men in new York are unemployed

Um....true...I have to agree.

Hey, Im lovin ATL as well as other places...Black folks doin good anywhere is whats up to me.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,727,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
I beg to differ it's only because of a hostile and lacking business climate that was created by government officials does Detroit suffer today and now they're trying to play catch-up. Baltimore government officials suck too with high-taxes everywhere. What this does is create a burden on property owners i.e. tax paying residents to pick up the slack. The more corporations one has the less burden on the homeowner. Just take a look around the nation, its not really surprising that the high-tax ironically liberal states are doing the worst from California to Illinois.

And do you know what the definition of a "small businesses" is? The U.S. Small Business Administration defines a small business as a sole proprietorship and a company with 499 or less as a small business.

What percentage of Metropolitan blacks live the city of D.C. proper?
And as far as intellectual Blacks in D.C., it really should be intellectual Blacks in Maryland. Blacks in D.C. for the most part live low to low middle class lives at best and definitely don't have college degrees as common place.

I wouldn't wish Detriots situation on my worst enemy, waterfront et al. Atlanta could have built itself a nice waterfront with as much money and opportunity that city has lost, not to mention the cost of negative perceptions.
You obviously do not know much about Detroit's history.....which I would not expect. So do not discredit yourself by making such commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta