Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times

Advertisements

Just gotta shake your head and laugh at C-D comments like that when the weather forecast is what it is here in Georgia for the next couple of days ... and the high in NYC today was 70!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,013 times
A Humans natural habitat is tropical and humid areas. I perfer our mild winters and actually brag about not having real winters. I personally feel the -20 winters up north is unatural to humans, or atleast for me. Also we are mainly just going through a cold front, it should be back in the 60s by the weekend.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Of course you are right StAubin, but it's this whole persistent C-D argument that because our winters are "mild" they aren't real winters at all! Well looky look, Atlanta is going to get snow this year before Chicago! And NYC and the northeast are having record November warmth. It is what it is ... and whenever this kind of weather comes our way, I just laugh at the nonsense.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Technically, it's not Winter yet. Atlanta doesn't go into a hibernation deep freeze like the North does from during December, January, and February. Having lived in the North, I too don't consider Atlanta's Winters to be "true" winters. It comes close at times but they're too short. The worst thing that happens to us are ice storms.

When this

lasts for about 3 months, that's a real Winter. The dead quiet with a distant howl of a snowy night you just don't get in Atlanta (unless we get one of our rare snows). And northern Springs are different too as water is dripping and flowing everywhere from the melting snow and the smell as nature bursts to life again. Atlanta gets hints of winter but be thankful it doesn't get the full experience.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:21 PM

207 posts, read 643,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The dead quiet with a distant howl of a snowy night you just don't get in Atlanta (unless we get one of our rare snows). And northern Springs are different too as water is dripping and flowing everywhere from the melting snow and the smell as nature bursts to life again. Atlanta gets hints of winter but be thankful it doesn't get the full experience.
Hear, hear!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
If it's cold enough for someone to die from hypothermia, its winter.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I wish Atlanta didn't get a real winter!

Maybe we don't, but the winters we do get are real enough for me. Is it supposed to be some kind of insult that we don't have a horrible climate like a lot of the country? I thought a lot of people moved here specifically to get a milder climate.

Part of the problem around here is nobody ever wants to think we get actual winters. Like I said, I only wish that was the case. Every winter, I swear I'm going to move to Tampa or San Diego, but right when I start seriously looking at jobs, it warms up again. I wish city officials would acknowledge that we get actual winter weather. I'm going to scream if we have another winter of people dying on iced over roads while the city just waits for them to melt while some official on TV says, "wow, see, we don't usually get this kind of weather, so we don't really have plows or salt trucks." Seems to happen about every other year....ain't that often enough to buy a few strap-on plows that can be put on city trucks when necessary? We're going to get a winter storm again. I promise. It may not be this year or next year, but we will get one.

I'd like a winter like Orlando. It might go down to the 40s or so at night, but you're pretty much guaranteed it's not going to snow. Ever. I hope I never see snow again.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,485 times
Sounds good to me. Who wants to scrap ice off the windshield daily, risk getting into a car accident with the snow on the ground, with freezing cold wind daily.....not me!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Just gotta shake your head and laugh at C-D comments like that when the weather forecast is what it is here in Georgia for the next couple of days ... and the high in NYC today was 70!
And that would be VERY rare for NYC, and a little cold for Georgia.

Atlanta has a MILD winter. When you look at both the average temperatures and the normal temperatures from the end of Dec to the end of March, it is by any objective assessment a MILD winter. There are some cold snaps here that can be just as cold as other places, and January is normally the coldest month, but let's face it....low temps that are roughly what the high temps are for much of the country isn't exactly a harsh or cold winter. One or two inches of snow isn't exactly a rough winter. Temps in the 60s or 70s in late Feb and early March aren't exactly rough or harsh, and those aren't rare.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 AM

67 posts, read 250,086 times
I'm a native and take the position that Atlanta does not have real winters. Our coldest average high temperature is still in the 50's and the average low temperature doesn't even get to freezing even in January. I read yesterday that we get an average of 3 days with snow per year. That's nothing compared to most cities to our north. We do have days that are only in the 20s and nights in the teens, but those are exceptionally rare and will never ever last more than a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta