Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Emory is very dense and the spur would require multiple tunnels and bridges. Its more like $600 million, don't be exaggerating.
Negative buddy.

http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...10-27-2011.pdf

MARTA says it'll cost $1.3 billion for 4.7 miles of heavy rail for 6,900 new MARTA riders. Still look like a good investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

MARTA says it'll cost $1.3 billion for 4.7 miles of heavy rail for 6,900 new MARTA riders. Still look like a good investment?
That's only about $2 million per new rider- at $4/round trip and 250 trips/year on average, that'll only take 2,000 years to pay back. Sounds like a bonafide bargain to me....

Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That's only about $2 million per new rider- at $4/round trip and 250 trips/year on average, that'll only take 2,000 years to pay back. Sounds like a bonafide bargain to me....
Of course that ignores the time value of money. This project never breaks even.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Mass transit is about giving people options to commute to work. As it stands now there is only one option, to drive and traffic is horrible. This will encourage more people to take MARTA and reduce cars on the road, air pollution, and encourage dense construction along the route.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
I-85 HOT lane toll reaches record high *| ajc.com

Sounds like the system is working pretty well on 85, six months down the road. I agree the initial implementation was horrid, but this should shush the "nobody will use them" crowd. It just took a few months for people to adapt.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Mass transit is about giving people options to commute to work. As it stands now there is only one option, to drive and traffic is horrible. This will encourage more people to take MARTA and reduce cars on the road, air pollution, and encourage dense construction along the route.
It will encourage 6,900 new people to exercise that option.

Again, 6,900 new riders for $1.3 billion.

That is directly from MARTA itself.

Do you really think that "option to ride" is worth $1.3 billion?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I-85 HOT lane toll reaches record high *| ajc.com

Sounds like the system is working pretty well on 85, six months down the road. I agree the initial implementation was horrid, but this should shush the "nobody will use them" crowd. It just took a few months for people to adapt.
I never doubted people would use the lanes. The free market does work. My objection was, and is, that the lanes have added no new capacity. It is pretty damn hard to ask people to start paying for something they got for free for the past 40 years.

I am in favor of the I-75/575 lanes because they will be new lanes and not cannibalize existing lanes. These new lanes are a luxury, not an existing, already utilized lane.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
I am in favor of the I-75/575 lanes because they will be new lanes and not cannibalize existing lanes
Why encourage more far-out development by adding these lanes. First, the new lanes would destroy the scenery from I-75 with overhead lanes supported by ugly concrete columns. Second, if we want to really solve congestion then we need to offer commuters an alternative to driving, whether it be LRT, HRT, BRT, or commuter trains. We need to stop building more highways and start building more mass transit.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,976 times
Quote:
I never doubted people would use the lanes. The free market does work. My objection was, and is, that the lanes have added no new capacity. It is pretty damn hard to ask people to start paying for something they got for free for the past 40 years.

I am in favor of the I-75/575 lanes because they will be new lanes and not cannibalize existing lanes. These new lanes are a luxury, not an existing, already utilized lane.
And again will do nothing to reduce congestion in the regular lanes. At least not to any noticeable degree. The only truly positive effect it will have is giving the commuter buses an express lane that bypasses all the congestion.

And I object to the government spending my tax dollars (which I pay every week at the pump) to build a lane that I can't use unless I pay more money.

The lanes as proposed offer little to no benefit for those working along the I-75 corridor from the Galleria outwards. We would have to go either all the way up to Terrel Mill (a nightmare during the afternoon rush) or all the way down to Mt. Paran and turn around in order to be in a position to get in the lanes. That pretty much soaks up any time savings. But hey, at least the folks who work downtown and in Buckhead will be able to pay for their luxury lane. Well, they will only be paying for part of their luxury lane because all the rest of us will have already paid for most of it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Quote:

The long term plan is to add new lanes on 85 as well. It would be quite a leap for the DOT to be under construction on I-75 for years and years without any working example of what they plan to create.

Also, I don't understand the "we already paid for it" argument. Maintaining the existing infrastructure is also extremely expensive, something like half the DOT's budget. If being "free market" is so important, then why support a centralized, "all you can eat" approach to roadway management? Free markets punish people for using scarce resources--that's kind of the name of the game. But for some reason the government's completely distorted approach to roadway funding and management has a lot of fans among so-called "free market" folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta