Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I can't believe there are guys who actually take a girl to Applebee's, or consider it. Where do you buy her birthday gift, Walmart? Did you get her some nice cubic zirconia for Valentine's day?
What is wrong with Applebees? Is it somehow inferior to a locally owned independent restaurant? I'm not seeing the reasoning. It seems more like a hatred for chains, more than anything.

What's wrong with purchasing a gift from Wal-Mart. They have brand-name products that you can purchase in all types of stores. Most of the arguments against Wal-Mart are twenty years old when they actually sold items that looked cheap. Today, most of the items are of fairly comparable quality. Of course, I'm not talking jewelry. However, most other items are fairly comparable, even clothing. If you want to over-spend, go on ahead. However, to act like you're shopping at a flea market, a Goodwill, or a yard sale is crazy, though you can find good deals, albeit on used items

Valentine's Day is a marketer's day to guilt-trip men into spending a lot of money on items that will wilt in the not too distant future. Diamonds aren't that rare. They're expensive because of the near monopoly of Debeers and their price settings. This doesn't take into account the mark-ups from the multiple hands that the diamonds go through before they hit the store.
Cubic Zirconia = SO WHAT. What would you rather spend. $2000 or $20? Unless you have a magnifying glass or an instrument that a jeweler uses to look at diamonds, they practically look the same to the naked eye. Other than for an engagement ring or a major anniversary, you're a dope for throwing your money away on an expensive diamond. Valentine's Day of all days? Seriously.

By the way, if your woman doesn't accept you for who you are, then she's a gold digger. Her character is flawed, and she's not worth being around.

Quote:
It's been years since I've eaten at an Applebee's, or Chili's, or Olive Garden. In fact, the last time I did was when I lived with my parents in the suburbs. I was generally grossed out, but not necessarily with the food. It was more the fat f***s who were stuffing their faces and then stumbling to their cars in glutinous stupors. That's no atmosphere for a date.

And I would have a lot of respect for a girl who refused to eat at Applebee's, because that means she has respect for what she puts into her body. Applebee's and the like offer high-fat, high-sodium, high-cholesterol, and high-calorie meals. Not only is taking a date to Applebee's not classy; it's unhealthy.
Because independent, local restaurants aren't loaded with fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
Saw this thread and just had to mention one thing that has always bugged me about Applebee's.

Their slogan is "Neighborhood bar and grill". Have any of you EVER seen an Applebee's in a neighborhood? They're always in the commercial district!
Wouldn't that be a local zoning issue?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is wrong with Applebees? Is it somehow inferior to a locally owned independent restaurant? I'm not seeing the reasoning. It seems more like a hatred for chains, more than anything.
No, it's more a hatred of being surrounded by fat and frumpy people while eating greasy, unhealthy, freeze-dried food. Applebee's should be parodied on South Park.

Quote:
What's wrong with purchasing a gift from Wal-Mart. They have brand-name products that you can purchase in all types of stores. Most of the arguments against Wal-Mart are twenty years old when they actually sold items that looked cheap. Today, most of the items are of fairly comparable quality. Of course, I'm not talking jewelry. However, most other items are fairly comparable, even clothing. If you want to over-spend, go on ahead. However, to act like you're shopping at a flea market, a Goodwill, or a yard sale is crazy, though you can find good deals, albeit on used items
Well, I was talking about clothes. Everything else from Walmart is fine. But the people who take dates to Applebee's also wear clothes from Walmart and vacation at Daytona.

Quote:
Valentine's Day is a marketer's day to guilt-trip men into spending a lot of money on items that will wilt in the not too distant future. Diamonds aren't that rare. They're expensive because of the near monopoly of Debeers and their price settings. This doesn't take into account the mark-ups from the multiple hands that the diamonds go through before they hit the store.
Cubic Zirconia = SO WHAT. What would you rather spend. $2000 or $20? Unless you have a magnifying glass or an instrument that a jeweler uses to look at diamonds, they practically look the same to the naked eye. Other than for an engagement ring or a major anniversary, you're a dope for throwing your money away on an expensive diamond. Valentine's Day of all days? Seriously.
I think you're missing my point. I don't buy my girlfriend diamonds for Valentine's day; dinner at a cool restaurant with a nice atmosphere and good food and wine, along with some roses, is what a classy guy does for Valentines Day. My point was that the type of people who bring a date to Applebee's are the same who think cubic zirconia is a tasteful gift for any occasion.

Quote:
By the way, if your woman doesn't accept you for who you are, then she's a gold digger. Her character is flawed, and she's not worth being around.
Exactly, which is why I would never date a girl who didn't agree that Applebee's is a lame date spot and cubic zirconia is tacky. If I had to cheap and/or chain for a date, I would pick Eats, Fellini's, Mellow Mushroom or Willy's over Applebee's any day of the week.

Quote:
Because independent, local restaurants aren't loaded with fat.
The food at indie spots also isn't loaded with preservatives, and when it's being served, it isn't cheapened by the annoying flare on your waitress' shirt.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 12-22-2011 at 01:29 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Who is holding her accountable? Who said "it's your fault that your restaurant ran out of chicken parmesan"? The customer was puzzled because the answers he got from the waitress weren't making any sense to him, so he asked for clarification. That's it.
Oh come on.

A customer intensely grills some random luckless server on the availability of chicken. She answered the customer's questions to the best that she could. But rather than leave the matter alone and maybe take the complaint to management the customer keeps hacking at this young lady more and more?

No, that's "not it". Not even by a long shot.

That's more like over the top anally-rectified FBI interrogation. I almost thought this poor server was about to be given the waterboard treatment and maybe sent to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba next for a special interrogation...

Quote:
What anger??? I saw no anger in the exchange that was quoted above. I only saw a bunch of questions. Is it wrong to ask your server questions?.
Man you are whistlin' Dixie if you expect me to believe that that line of questioning was given without there being some terse moments. I live in Atlanta, and I've seen the type of aggressive behaviour that backgrounds the questioning of a customer service rep.

There's a lot of arrogance in the interactions that take place in this city and in this state between customers and customer service reps. It's like there are people here who expect 4-star dining from muthafreakin' McDonald's, for lord's sake.

But maybe that's a normal way to be; for you and the poster that you are defending.

Quote:
If you think that exchange was a customer holding a server accountable for corporate decisions (indeed, holding the server accountable for anything) then you need to improve your comprehension of the spoken word.
And you need to get over yourself. You are not the God of the English Language. You are not the all-seeing-guru of the spoken word.

You see a situation your way...and I just happen to see the same situation my way.

It's called a difference of opinion, sir. Last time I checked, the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights guarantees my right to have one.

Quote:
And if it wasn't clear before I will make it clear now: you are overreacting to the situation as it was stated.
At least I'm not overeacting to the availability or lack thereof of a piece of chicken.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-22-2011 at 06:10 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Yes, and here's why: Locally owned independent restaurants generally do not serve food that is pre-prepared at a central factory and shipped to the restaurant. Almost always, the food in locally owned restaurants is prepared by a chef, and not just a minimum wage heater-upper. Also, generally a locally owned restaurant will have a kitchen headed by a chef who has put serious thought and skill into the items on the menu, taking into consideration the likes and dislikes of the surrounding community.

In addition to this, money spent in locally owned restaurants (or any locally owned business) stays in the local community, rather than being shipped to Applebees' corporate office, so, dollar for dollar, they contribute more to the economic health of their comumnity than chain stores do.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:

Applebees tastes like garbage, Wal-Mart sells cheap junk!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Applebees tastes like garbage, Wal-Mart sells cheap junk!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
That's more like over the top anally-rectified FBI interrogation. I almost thought this poor server was about to be given the waterboard treatment and maybe sent to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba next for a special interrogation...
So you were there then when ATLTJL conducted this "interrogation"? You experienced first-hand his intensely worded questions and his continual "hacking" at the poor server? You felt the biting tone enough to come to the conclusion that waterboarding was next?

Quote:
Man you are whistlin' Dixie if you expect me to believe that that line of questioning was given without there being some terse moments. I live in Atlanta, and I've seen the type of aggressive behaviour that backgrounds the questioning of a customer service rep.
So let me just make sure I got this straight. ATLTLJ relates a story where something happened that we will just call "A". You read it, and based on your personal experiences conclude that "B" must have also happened because you have "seen the type of aggressive behaviour that backgrounds the questioning of a customer service rep." Then you criticize him for doing "B" even though you really have no idea if "B" actually happened.

Now you are mad at me because I am telling you that you are being unreasonable.

Did I get all that right?

Quote:
There's a lot of arrogance in the interactions that take place in this city and in this state between customers and customer service reps. It's like there are people here who expect 4-star dining from muthafreakin' McDonald's, for lord's sake.

But maybe that's a normal way to be; for you and the poster that you are defending.
So because you have seen other customers act arrogant and expect way more than is reasonable I am also guilty of this? When have you ever interacted with me in a restaurant? On what do you base you knowledge of how I treat waitstaff?

I am really having a difficult time understanding how you make these conclusions.

Quote:
You see a situation your way...and I just happen to see the same situation my way.
And I am suggesting to you that your past negative experiences are interfering with the way you see this particular situation. You are making assumptions that aren't justified based on what you know. Just because you are mad at the world doesn't mean that everyone else is.

Quote:
It's called a difference of opinion, sir. Last time I checked, the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights guarantees my right to have one.
I never said otherwise.

Quote:
At least I'm not overeacting to the availability or lack thereof of a piece of chicken.
No, just the conversation about it.

I don't think that we will ever see eye-to-eye on this. We have a difference of opinion that will likely never change no matter how long we discuss it. I've had my say, do with it what you will. All my questions above were rhetorical, but you can attempt to answer them if you'd like.

Peace, AcidSnake, and I hope life starts treating you better.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I hope for a world where everyone don't feel like they have to be left without; be it the server who worked a 50+ hour shift with no health insurance or the veteran whose own nation has utterly failed to give him or her their due.

If you consider standing up for those who can't stand up for themselves to be "mad at the world", then I will proudly wear that label.

I consider it a greater tragedy that more people aren't "mad at the world". This will for justice would go a long way to ameliorating many of the problems that goes on in this nation. Life will definitely treat me better when that day arrives.

But, I digress...

Peace to you brother Billl, and Merry Christmas as well.

Quote:
I don't think that we will ever see eye-to-eye on this. We have a difference of opinion that will likely never change no matter how long we discuss it. I've had my say, do with it what you will. All my questions above were rhetorical, but you can attempt to answer them if you'd like.

Peace, AcidSnake, and I hope life starts treating you better.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-22-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
When I lived in Buckhead, I would have killed to have a Provino's nearby.
Man, we used to love the original Provino's there in Buckhead. Then they turned into a chain (or group) and moved everything outside the Perimeter. Why'd they do that? The place was always packed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta