Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
When I saw this thread, I made a mental bet with myself as to how many responses I would read before I encountered the first ridiculing the notion of learning Spanish. I guessed six (it was seven). The racist and classist mind-set that Internet anonymity encourages is truly frightening. If I were more cynical, I would suspect the OP of asking her question merely to incite controversy.
Yet, you post no advantages of learning another language besides English. I've posted why I don't think it's beneficial even though I took 6 years of Spanish, my step-brother is also married to a green card holder from Mexico with 3 kids, all Mexican and fluent. So why is that racist?? and why dont' you provide examples??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 AM

16 posts, read 84,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Yet, you post no advantages of learning another language besides English. I've posted why I don't think it's beneficial even though I took 6 years of Spanish, my step-brother is also married to a green card holder from Mexico with 3 kids, all Mexican and fluent. So why is that racist?? and why dont' you provide examples??
All learning is beneficial - it opens the mind to new things and experiences. You cannot be sure what the world will look like in 20 years - knowing multiple languages will most definitely help people be more flexible in their choices and will also raise their confidence level. It is unacceptable for people to even assume that they do not need to learn another language if they have the opportunity (and we all have those opportunities).

Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 AM

21 posts, read 126,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur2004 View Post
I heartily agree with this writer. My daughter is enrolled in both the French and Spanish programs at Tabula Rasa and she loves it. I intend to look at Atlanta International School when she is old enough. I love the idea of my daughter learning in a strong academic program and also learning two additional languages. It is a supportive, diverse environment and I am so glad that my daughter is learning to appreciate diverse cultures.
I want to clarify on my comment about Tabula Rasa. I have heard nothing but great things about their teachers and methods. My issue was the facility is old, and the program is part-time for young children (9am - 12 noon) and did not fit my needs as such.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,520 times
Quote:
Studies have shown that Bi-Lingual children are better problem solvers as a result of being able to "think" in two languages.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Studies have shown that Bi-Lingual children are better problem solvers as a result of being able to "think" in two languages.
Studies have shown....

You can say that about anything, and word it anyway.

Studies have shown that if you're Indian and learn math/science you can take jobs away from Americans.

Studies have shown that if your Mexican, don't speak English, you can illegally cross the border and find a construction/farm/landscape job.

I could go on for days here...

Old 04-27-2008, 10:57 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I use Spanish pretty much every day of my life. I can't remember the last time I needed to use all those formulas from years of math and science. I read newspapers in 3 languages every day and am pleased that after this summer, I'll be able to read in a 4th. It's the only way to stay up to date with the affairs of the world since you have to dig in American media.

Students who are bilingual from an early age do better in music and math later on in life anyway. And across the board, SAT scores in BOTH math and science are higher for multilingual students.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,520 times
Quote:
Studies have shown....

You can say that about anything, and word it anyway.

Studies have shown that if you're Indian and learn math/science you can take jobs away from Americans.

Studies have shown that if your Mexican, don't speak English, you can illegally cross the border and find a construction/farm/landscape job.

I could go on for days here...
You asked how being bi-lingual was beneficial, my answer provided that information. If you google the issue you will see studies performed by NIH, Dartmouth , Harvard, and many more.
Your mention of illegal immigrants and Indian outsourcing is not relevant. hth.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Default Immersion and Bilingualism

Learning a second language is certainly valuable in several ways. However, having experienced French immersion in Canada first-hand, I'd just like to suggest parents have realistic expectations about second-language immersion. Here's a scholarly paper Immersion Education for the Millenium: What we have learned in the last 30 years which is very positive about immersion but does note:

With respect to French skills, students' receptive skills in French are better developed (in relation to native speaker norms) than are their expressive skills. By the end of elementary school (grade 6) students are close to the level of native speakers in understanding and reading of French but there are significant gaps between them and native speakers in spoken and written French (Harley, Allen, Cummins, & Swain, 1991). The gap is particularly evident in grammatical aspects of the language.

A class of kids who speak English at home, plus a teacher speaking in a second language, does not add up to functional bilingualism overnight.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 16,601 times
Default Spanish Immersion - East Cobb Location

I am please to announce the opening of our second location in East Cobb this Fall. Pls. see http://www.thespanishacademy.com. We have been in Alpharetta for 7 yrs. now. I see there is some interest in this thread and we would love to discuss our program with you all.

Best,

Will Brooks

Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,509 times
Default The Spanish Academy in East Cobb & Alpharetta

[url]www.thespanishacademy.com[/url] The Spanish Academy is Atlanta’s first Spanish preschool. It is a Total Immersion Preschool offering an excellent academic curriculum with a low student to teacher ratio. Our goal is to offer an outstanding curriculum with a high level of academic excellence while helping children master proficiency in Spanish. Our lead teachers are native speakers so our students learn to speak Spanish with a native tongue. Locations in East Cobb and Alpharetta, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta