Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM

163 posts, read 431,541 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone--

So, I've got a great job offer in hand and if everything goes as I hope, I'll soon be moving to Atlanta. I'm 43, female, single, no kids, born and bred in NJ, and have spent most of my adult life working and playing in Manhattan. Would love your thoughts on where I should look to live. At the moment, I'm leaning toward Midtown but am open to all suggestions. Criteria:

1) Not sure on budget...I have some flexibility. If I'm renting, I'm guessing somewhere between $1000 and $1500 monthly. If I buy, I'm looking at high $100s/low $200s. I probably will rent at first and buy later, only because I don't want to commit to an area before I've checked it out for a bit.

2) I'd like a condo, preferably two bedrooms, but one is fine, too. Amenities such as a pool and gym would be nice.

3) Probably the most important thing to me is to be in an area that's got a lot of bars and restaurants and a vibrant feel. That said, I don't want to be somewhere where it's only or all 20-somethings--I'd like there to be people my own age hanging out in the neighborhood meeting places as well.

4) Would love to be near public transit. I know I'm not getting the NYC subway, but I do believe in public transit and would like to be able to take advantage of what there is when I need to. And, if it's a walkable area, even better. I know Atlanta isn't known as a hugely walkable city in general, but I figure there have to be some neighborhoods that have that vibe.

5) Oh, right: my work. It's off of 75 in the 30339 ZIP (Wildwood Office Complex), and I'd have to drive. So, please don't suggest someplace that's going to put me in a car for half my day, either. :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM

439 posts, read 852,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Hi, everyone--

So, I've got a great job offer in hand and if everything goes as I hope, I'll soon be moving to Atlanta. I'm 43, female, single, no kids, born and bred in NJ, and have spent most of my adult life working and playing in Manhattan. Would love your thoughts on where I should look to live. At the moment, I'm leaning toward Midtown but am open to all suggestions. Criteria:

1) Not sure on budget...I have some flexibility. If I'm renting, I'm guessing somewhere between $1000 and $1500 monthly. If I buy, I'm looking at high $100s/low $200s. I probably will rent at first and buy later, only because I don't want to commit to an area before I've checked it out for a bit.

2) I'd like a condo, preferably two bedrooms, but one is fine, too. Amenities such as a pool and gym would be nice.

3) Probably the most important thing to me is to be in an area that's got a lot of bars and restaurants and a vibrant feel. That said, I don't want to be somewhere where it's only or all 20-somethings--I'd like there to be people my own age hanging out in the neighborhood meeting places as well.

4) Would love to be near public transit. I know I'm not getting the NYC subway, but I do believe in public transit and would like to be able to take advantage of what there is when I need to. And, if it's a walkable area, even better. I know Atlanta isn't known as a hugely walkable city in general, but I figure there have to be some neighborhoods that have that vibe.

5) Oh, right: my work. It's off of 75 in the 30339 ZIP (Wildwood Office Complex), and I'd have to drive. So, please don't suggest someplace that's going to put me in a car for half my day, either. :-)

Come visit first. Can be a culture shock.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 PM

80 posts, read 132,764 times
Jesus, is this the response everyone gives to people moving to Atlanta?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:28 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Yeah, Midtown is going to be your place. It tends to be younger (Tech is right there, for starters), but not terribly so. Plenty of divorcees and other older single people gravitate towards Midtown.

The only issue is rent is crazy these days. Getting a 2/2 in your purchase range is entirely possible (not at the newest, nicest buildings though; and also get ready for a $400/mo HOA payment). But renting a 2/2 for under $1,500 is going to be tough; basically not possible in Midtown anymore. For a 1/1, you'll have tons of options at that purchase and rental range.

Honestly you might prefer Decatur more, but the commute from there up to Cumberland would not be fun. Traffic at the I-20/Downtown Connector interchange is horrid. Midtown to Cumberland, on the other hand, is a breeze, especially on the AM side.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Vinings is in the 30339 zip code and is a great place to live for SWF 43. There are definitely nice bars and restaurants although not as vibrant as Midtown and very limited public transportation (not practical)

The budget in the area would be a perfect fit. Definitely spend some time in the area and give it consideration

Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,728 times
First of all, welcome! There are TONS of NY/NJ transplants here! Ignore annoying posters!
Vinings is an excellent choice based on your work location. There's Vinings proper then also a really cute John Wieland community called One Ivy Walk that may suit your needs: One Ivy Walk Shopping - Smyrna Vinings Shopping, Smyrna Vinings Businesses | Smyrna Vinings Homes, Neighborhoods, Restaurants, Shopping, Events - SmyrnaVinings.com

'West Midtown' is also worth exploring...a bit more industrial but tons of great restaurants and eclectic shopping. Midtown is great and there are LOTS of high rise apartments with amenities to choose from. Midtown West

Come for a scouting weekend and ride the Marta. 10th Street Station will take you to midtown and Piedmont Park but also rent a car to explore Vinings and West Midtown, too. News and Events | MidtownAtlanta.org

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I'd think Vinings would be ideal. It's got a nice vibe and has great access to Buckhead and Midtown.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM

163 posts, read 431,541 times
Default Thanks...

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far. I'll add your suggestions (beyond Midtown) to the list.

I've been to Atlanta quite a few times in the past year, mostly on business (or interviews), so not really hanging out. Stayed in Midtown at the W once and at the Georgia Tech conference center another. Enjoyed what I got to see of it--which wasn't much.

What struck me the most in the areas I was in was that at night (not late), on a weeknight, it seemed so quiet. Being used to NYC, what threw me for a loop was I got a little freaked out walking around by myself--it was too deserted, and I obviously don't know much about the area, so I had no idea if I was in an okay area or not. Meanwhile, I have no issue riding the subway or walking down a Manhattan street at 2 a.m. (clearly, in "decent" neighborhoods). It's all a learning curve.

As far as culture shock, I'm fully expecting it--even looking forward to it. I wouldn't want it to be just like home--and I hope to find new things to love. Change is good, and a flight back to the northeast for a visit isn't really all that difficult.

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,728 times
I lived in NYC for 12 years and honestly felt the same way when I moved here five years ago. You won't find the pedestrian traffic of NYC and the streets do quiet down a lot at night. They're working on it. But you'll probably find more action in midtown than in Vinings....Virginia Highlands as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Hi, everyone--

Midtown is a nice area to buy a condo with bars and restaurants. So is Buckhead. However if you are a single woman looking, there are a lot of gay men in the Midtown area. They are awesome people to hang around but it's not so fun when you a single woman looking but the men you are hanging around don't like girls lol.

Virginia-Highland is nice with shops, bars and restaurants but it is a younger crowd or couples. Most of the trendy spots are going to have a younger crowd and a lot of the singles social groups don't cater to singles over 35. There are meetup groups with no age limits but they usually have more couples or married people participating in their activities

Metro Atlanta has its spots with bars and restaurants, mainly Little 5 Points, Virginia-Highland, East Atlanta, Downtown Decatur/Oakhurst, Midtown and Buckhead. But these areas each are only a few blocks to maybe a mile or two long, so you will find yourself going to the same few places all the time and it's mostly a younger crowd, married men hanging out without their wives, or couples with a smattering of over 35 singles.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-02-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta