Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,223,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I especially like the "founding principles" angle used to advance the proposal.

The Economist recently put out an in-depth article about the idea. The cliffs of it are that the whole idea of the Founders crafting America as a Christian nation is pretty much nonsense.

Religion in America: The faith (and doubts) of our fathers | The Economist

My favorite part of the article is the alternate version of the gospels written by Thomas Jefferson:

Ironically, I am actually rather open to that sort of approach to Christianity, although I think the "In God We Trust" license-plate crowd would find it pretty reprehensible.
You're wrong.

"I am a real Christian – that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ."

- the writings of Thomas Jefferson (page 385)

"Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshiped.

As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the system of morals and his religion, as he left them to us, is the best the world ever saw, or is likely to see."

- Benjamin Franklin (in a letter to the president of Yale University, 1790)

"Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us."

- John Hancock

"And as it is our duty to extend our wishes to the happiness of the great family of man, I conceive that we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world that the rod of tyrants may be broken to pieces, and the oppressed made free again; that wars may cease in all the earth, and that the confusions that are and have been among nations may be overruled by promoting and speedily bringing on that holy and happy period when the kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ may be everywhere established, and all people everywhere willingly bow to the scepter of Him who is Prince of Peace."

- Samuel Adams (in his Proclamation day of fast, Governor of Massachusetts 1797)

"Cursed be all that learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ."
-James Madison

"The hope of a Christian is inseparable from his faith. Whoever believes in the divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures must hope that the religion of Jesus shall prevail throughout the earth."
- John Quincy Adams

"I believe that there is one only living and true God, existing in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, the same in substance equal in power and glory. That the scriptures of the old and new testaments are a revelation from God, and a complete rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him.

- Roger Sherman (signer of the Declaration of Independence AND the Constitution of the United States of America)

"The gospel of Jesus Christ prescribes the wisest rules for just conduct in every situation of life. Happy they who are enabled to obey them in all situations!"
- Benjamin Rush

"I have carefully examined the evidences of the Christian religion, and if I was sitting as a juror upon its authenticity I would unhesitatingly give my verdict in its favor. I can prove its truth as clearly as any proposition ever submitted to the mind of man."
- Alexander Hamilton

Of course, this is just a small sample of the many evidences, including language in the Declaration of Independence, and other historical documents.

But lets not forget how the LEFT WING RADICALS have changed the Supreme Court. Here are a few words on the subject of religion by:

John Jay - 1st Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (and President of the American Bible Association)

"By conveying the Bible to people thus circumstanced, we certainly do them a most interesting kindness. We thereby enable them to learn that man was originally created and placed in a state of happiness, but, becoming disobedient, was subjected to the degradation and evils which he and his posterity have since experienced.

The Bible will also inform them that our gracious Creator has provided for us a Redeemer, in whom all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; that this Redeemer has made atonement "for the sins of the whole world," and thereby reconciling the Divine justice with the Divine mercy has opened a way for our redemption and salvation; and that these inestimable benefits are of the free gift and grace of God, not of our deserving, nor in our power to deserve."

In forming and settling my belief relative to the doctrines of Christianity, I adopted no articles from creeds but such only as, on careful examination, I found to be confirmed by the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
GASP....Because I don't believe in God. I know that must be tough for some to understand. There are also many who believe in other gods....again....I know that's difficult for many of the "god fearing" folks of Georgia to understand. That's why gov't should just stay out of the God business.

Worship as you please....as a private matter.
Worship is not to be restrained, as we have a thing called the Free Exercise Clause. It can be a public matter if a person of faith wants to take it into the public sphere. It isn't only to be contained within the walls of a church building.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,207,804 times
Stars&StripesForever, again....just because it may be legal to do it, why does it need to be done?

I respect people who are religious, up to the point where they infringe upon my rights and fail to respect me. Why is it necessary to wear your religion on your car bumper?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,207,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Worship is not to be restrained, as we have a thing called the Free Exercise Clause. It can be a public matter if a person of faith wants to take it into the public sphere. It isn't only to be contained within the walls of a church building.
Failing to allow the gov't to force me to put a religious slogan on my car is not restraining you from worshiping in any way you choose. Are you that blind?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Here is a test for all the folks out there who think this is a good idea and can't understand the opposition:

Put yourself in this scenario. You're living in Saudi Arabia or another Muslim country. You are forced to put a plate on your car that says "Allah is Great" or "Islam is the truth" or some other saying like it. Are you OK with that? Would you feel uncomfortable?
We aren't an Islamic country. This country was primarily founded by Christian men, and the God on which our law derives is that of law inspired by Christian law. Islam has nothing to do with our history, our founding, or laws. Two totally different things. The vast majority of the population is Christian, while only one percent or so are Muslim. This isn't to present a case of "tyranny of the majority", but rather to put forth the argument that this is a Christian country, one that has to do with who this country was settled by. You can't look at the whole picture and say that they are comparable when dealing with faith at the society level as a whole.

God is good. It is easily seen that He exists.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Stars&StripesForever, again....just because it may be legal to do it, why does it need to be done?

I respect people who are religious, up to the point where they infringe upon my rights and fail to respect me. Why is it necessary to wear your religion on your car bumper?
You would have the option to purchase a county sticker.

I think that a lot of people are tired of the culture becoming so secular and so anti-God, that they want a way to unify people around the idea that God has been instrumental in the lives of this country. They likely want to do this in order to help bring awareness to people everywhere that God has precedence in this nation's founding, and that they honor God. In the end, perhaps it will help reverse the direction the culture has been heading.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM

165 posts, read 484,477 times
Quote:
We aren't an Islamic country. This country was primarily founded by Christian men, and the God on which our law derives is that of law inspired by Christian law. Islam has nothing to do with our history, our founding, or laws. Two totally different things. The vast majority of the population is Christian, while only one percent or so are Muslim. This isn't to present a case of "tyranny of the majority", but rather to put forth the argument that this is a Christian country, one that has to do with who this country was settled by. You can't look at the whole picture and say that they are comparable when dealing with faith at the society level as a whole.

God is good. It is easily seen that He exists.
Okay, what if this was back in the early 20th century and the license plate said 'White Power', would you feel okay about that if you were of a different race?

There is nothing illegal about being racist, but making others who don't agree with your views advertise your beliefs is unacceptable. Take off your church hat for a second and put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Failing to allow the gov't to force me to put a religious slogan on my car is not restraining you from worshiping in any way you choose. Are you that blind?
That's why they said that you can purchase a county sticker if this law is approved.

It may not be preventing people from worshiping, but it is restricting the free exercise to express your beliefs.

Every so-called "separation of church and state" rule in offices, in government buildings, etc. is without merit and null and void according to the Constitution. There is no such thing as a separation of church and state, in the sense that people, even politicians or government, don't have a right to express their faith or put forth issues of faith. There is only a prevention for the issuance of a state church and the issuance of a tax for said state church. This was what was meant by the founders, found in their writings, when they said "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". After all, followed by that, it goes, "or the free exercise thereof". To deny one their right to religion, any way they see fit, you're denying their free exercise. This also applies to government and government officials, for, as noted in the quotes above, the founders were deeply religious men who spoke of God and even Jesus, often times on the floors of Congress. If there really were a law preventing religious discussion and the formation of other laws that acknowledge God, then the founders either were confused or just plain crazy, and I don't think that is the case.

165 posts, read 484,477 times
Quote:
You would have the option to purchase a county sticker.

I think that a lot of people are tired of the culture becoming so secular and so anti-God, that they want a way to unify people around the idea that God has been instrumental in the lives of this country. They likely want to do this in order to help bring awareness to people everywhere that God has precedence in this nation's founding, and that they honor God. In the end, perhaps it will help reverse the direction the culture has been heading.
Why not purchase an 'In God We Trust' sticker instead?

At least with a county sticker everyone can agree and say "Okay...I live in Fulton county...or Cobb county, or xxxxx county", but the same cannot be said with a blanket religions motto on your plate.

You can't point to everyone driving down the street and say... "He's catholic...she's baptist ... etc"

5,706 posts, read 9,642,137 times
Would someone living in GA please give this moron his sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta