Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM

12 posts, read 42,794 times

Advertisements

Not sure if you ended up getting the transfer but we are definitely moving to PTC in a few weeks. We are looking at houses this weekend and visited back in April. We have heard only positive things and are excited about raising our family here. Recreation and sports, being healthy seem to be important in PTC (everybody is out running/biking, etc). Which is great b/c my husband and I are both runners and he also bikes and plays tennis (which is popular here) Not sure we will have a golf cart right away but I think it will be fun to get one. Also all of the schools seem to be excellent and people are friendly. Don't think you can go wrong moving here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 PM

35 posts, read 88,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbob6 View Post
This made me laugh, NW-to-SW - we're fixin' to move from Vegas to GA in July, and I'm EXCITED to have rain! Sounds like we'll both be happy!
Ahhhhh... but the rain in GA is NOT like the rain we have here in the Northwest! Here, it's overcast 90% of the year, and rains all the time. Never enough sun! In GA, you'll get the torrential rain for a day or part of a day, and it's followed by sun. BIG difference!!!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosserKD View Post
Not sure if you ended up getting the transfer but we are definitely moving to PTC in a few weeks. We are looking at houses this weekend and visited back in April. We have heard only positive things and are excited about raising our family here. Recreation and sports, being healthy seem to be important in PTC (everybody is out running/biking, etc). Which is great b/c my husband and I are both runners and he also bikes and plays tennis (which is popular here) Not sure we will have a golf cart right away but I think it will be fun to get one. Also all of the schools seem to be excellent and people are friendly. Don't think you can go wrong moving here!
I'm glad to hear from you after you visited PTC! We haven't been there to visit yet, but that's exactly what I'm looking for- a healthy, active outdoor lifestyle for my family! Sure, we'll be house-bound a lot in the summer heat, but the other months should make up for it.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 AM

744 posts, read 2,488,980 times
Peachtree City is a great place to live if you are looking for an active, healthy place to live.
It has a great and very active running club that has all kinds of things going on all through out the year both locally and in other states ( members running in the big U.S marathons every where ). information on them can be found at Peachtree City Running Club Peachtree City Running Club.

Last edited by go falcons; 06-10-2012 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 AM

13,704 posts, read 21,997,782 times
I guess Lilac's husband didn't get the transfer, since we haven't heard from her in awhile?! :-(

Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 AM

61 posts, read 189,937 times
Hi Newsboy,
I just sent you a PM too. We have never been asked to be transferred at this point, actually very annoying since I was anticipating it all along and kind of planning. I know anything can change at any time-perhaps they'll move us next year. I just hope they don't try to ask us a month from now when there is only a small window before school starts, I will be livid. For now PTC is not in the cards. It sounds like such a nice place and I was excited about it but we'll see what unfolds for us. I so appreciate everyone's feedback on here and wish the best of luck to the families that are transferring there now. I hope everyone loves their new home!

Thank you again everyone!!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 AM

178 posts, read 585,155 times
[quote=Newsboy;23071040]You really need to take everything you read on here with a massive grain of salt. Pretty much everybody ive ever known who grew up in Peachtree Cith hated the place. Why? Because they're young and that's how kids think! When they get married and have babies, they can't wait to move back.

This is SO true! I was going to mention this about my small but big feel touristy town in Maine. All of the teenagers hated it, and felt like there was nothing to ever do-even though it was a beach town! And there were tons of family stuff to do, then as soon as they moved out into the world, and got married, they could not wait to move home and raise their kids there! SO I do find this true of many places, and that is one in the North with the same thing (since she is a 'Northern' midwestern-er You can fine that all over the country.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 AM

178 posts, read 585,155 times
Sorry deleted too much of the quote above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You really need to take everything you read on here with a massive grain of salt. Pretty much everybody ive ever known who grew up in Peachtree Cith hated the place. Why? Because they're young and that's how kids think! When they get married and have babies, they can't wait to move back. That negative review of McIntosh High School is pretty interesting considering it's one of the Top 10 high schools in the state and has both the test scores and Ivy League acceptance rate to prove it. Outdoor activities in Peachtree City? Really? Seriously? The entire town is built around public lakes, golf courses, swimming pools, ball fields and green belts -- connected by 100 miles of jogging, bike and cart paths.

As for you and your kids feeling like outcasts, about the only way that can happen is if you show up with giant holier-than-though chips on your shoulders and won't shut up about how much better things were back in the place you came from. But I doubt that's going to be the case. Besides, easily 75-80 percent of the families that live in PTC aren't even Southern -- many many are from the Midwest. It's one of the most "un-Southern" places you can live in Metro Atlanta, and I should know: I used to life there! My sister and her husband just left after 25 years to begin a new career opportunity in Alabama, and everybody in their new town thinks they are yankees by the way they talk and dress! That's what PTC is like. I think you're being way too sensitive and nervous about this move.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM

It's looking likely that my husband is going to be transferred to GA now. I'm wondering how the commute would be from Stockbridge to PTC... Looks to be just under an hour?

I've heard from some locals that the areas to the east of PTC (in Fayetteville) are good areas to live, too. How about the east side of Fayetteville- still in good schools, but closer to where my husband would live?

I'm kind of aiming for PTC, but worried about the long commute! Definitely NOT interested in living near where the job will be.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 42,794 times
We have a house under contract on the PTC/Fayetteville line (PTC Starrs Mill Schools). Its an awesome neighborhood! We have heard so many great things about the area from locals. I feel that everybody we have met was down to earth-nobody seemed snooty even though its obviously an affluent area. People just rave and rave about raising there kids there-I cant wait to get out of Memphis (plus the school systems here are combining this year and its a HUGE mess)!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta