Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM

35 posts, read 88,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac28 View Post
Thank you for your insight Mr. Ted. It gives me a lot to think about. The honest truth is, I want to live back in the midwest. It's just ME and I don't feel totally at home in the south. I'm also not into keeping up with the Joneses and I hate when people judge others based on their family's money-which is a problem here in Richmond/our neighborhood. I want so much more for my kids than a cookie-cutter mindset where all people care about are money and athletics...don't get me wrong, my kids are in organized sports/activities but I don't push them at ALL, it's all about just having fun, we're not remotely overly vested in it. I don't care much for Richmond and not sure about PTC....wish I could go back to Chicago where there are white and blue collar folks mixed in together. More ethnic and religious groups....diversity in family income.

I hope if we move to PTC my kids do not feel like outsiders! The thought makes me extremely sad. I'm sorry that happened to you and it just goes to show also, that even when schools are bragged about as "the best", it is all subjective.

Anyone else have firsthand experience with Peachtree City?
This. All of this. I don't want a "keepin' up with the Jones'" mentality, either. I don't want my kids to think money and sports are the only things in life. On my way for a visit, though, so I may feel differently once we experience PTC in person!

Last edited by NW-to-SE; 07-20-2012 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,430,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-to-SE View Post
It's looking likely that my husband is going to be transferred to GA now. I'm wondering how the commute would be from Stockbridge to PTC... Looks to be just under an hour?

I've heard from some locals that the areas to the east of PTC (in Fayetteville) are good areas to live, too. How about the east side of Fayetteville- still in good schools, but closer to where my husband would live?

I'm kind of aiming for PTC, but worried about the long commute! Definitely NOT interested in living near where the job will be.
Commuting from PTC to Stockbridge is roughly an hour during rush hour depending on the stopping and starting points. I think it would be a great place to live for most families. There are plenty of people living there who are transplants. I recommend seeing it for yourself to decide. Great schools and amenities.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
Default NY Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Commuting from PTC to Stockbridge is roughly an hour during rush hour depending on the stopping and starting points. I think it would be a great place to live for most families. There are plenty of people living there who are transplants. I recommend seeing it for yourself to decide. Great schools and amenities.
My family and I just started our 8th year in PTC and love it. It is a great environment and my kids have flourished in the schools. They would have to drag me back to NY (kicking and screaming!). If you are interested in learning more about PTC I know that their is a realtor that offers free DVD's with some real nice slide shows and videos that give you a nice feel for PTC. www.aboutpeacthreecity.com is the website. When we came down we were able to arrange tours with the schools. I'm not sure if they do that during the summer, but if you are coming down in mid-August you might want to set something up. Distance from PTC could be +/- 10 minutes depending on where you are in PTC. South side would be a bit longer than the North side. Best of luck!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
I grew up in PTC, and have lived all over the country (Chicago included) and world, so I pride myself on perspective. My experience could not be more different than Mr. Ted's. My experience as far as pretention - or people being concerned about money and status - was far less in PTC than anywhere I've lived by a long shot. I've thought about this quite a bit, and I think the reason is because most families make roughly within the same range of money - middle to upper middle class. I can't remember one student in my high school (Starr's Mill) driving a luxury car, for example. For the record, one of my best friends from elementary to this day (I'm almost 30) was originally from the Chicago area and that family loves PTC.

There is not a ton to do, but I don't think there is a better place to raise a family. This became apparent for me when I went away to college. Most of my friends and most of the folks I knew in HS were far less concerned with status, popularity, and all of that stuff you see in movies than any of my friends in undergrad. Things may have changed, but when I was in HS, I was less exposed to some of the bad things than any of my friends in undergrad. The golf cart thing is something everyone grows to love in PTC, because how can you not? It's great having that option of transportation if you aren't in a hurry.

All in all, I couldn't be happier I grew up there, it gave me a great education, great friendships, great foundation in who I am, and a great perspective. Being someone not from the south is more the norm than actually being from there, so that should be the least of your worries.

My gripes are the distance from Atlanta, the typical suburban bubble thing, and proximity to mountains/beach. As a 20-something single person, I would not live there now, but would not think twice about living there if I was raising a family.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM

61 posts, read 189,848 times
Thanks for that great look at Peachtree City, Nomad Hokie! I am getting excited again about our move there. It will be in the next few months so I'm a bit worried about the kids being pulled from school mid year and having to adjust to a new school/area. I hope it goes well. But we are excited about the area, sounds very nice for families/kids!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:34 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,819,415 times
Our son started Roswell High School the week after Easter break- not an ideal time, but we had no other option. The school took it all in stride (they are very used to out-of-state transfers, as I am sure the schools throughout North Fulton/East Cobb and PTC are because of all of the transplants). It was fine. Midyear is a good time, and they won't be trudging through the snow, here.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks Roxyrn for that good information. I'm sure they'll be very accomodating on the Peachtree City end for a mid-year school transfer which is a relief.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,493 times
Hi,
We moved here mid school year last year (the week of Thanksgiving). We moved here from Texas but have lived all over - FL, TX, NM...
We love it! I have not notice anyone being snooty whatsoever. Everyone was very welcoming and the school did a wonderful job helping our boys adjust. It's as if they have always lived here. There is a LOT to do here outdoors. The beach is only 5 hours away in several directions - South Carolina, Savannah, Destin, FL - all within 5 hours. The mountains are close also.
If your husband loves golf there are 3 golf courses here in PTC and tons more very close.
I have met several people that have moved here from the midwest and they love it here and adjusting wonderfully.
The golf cart thing might seem hokey at first but we use ours as much as possible...it's so relaxing.
Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks Christy!! My husband does love to golf, he will just love it there and I know my kids will love the golf cart thing. It's good to hear of another person who moved mid-year and it worked out well. I'm hoping the kids make a smooth (enough) transition. It's always hard to say goodbye but they're excited to move too. I've been getting lots of reports on the nice people in Peachtree City so we're really looking forward to living there. I'm glad your family loves it there! Thanks for replying!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,493 times
Talking Love it here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-to-SE View Post
I'm glad to hear from you after you visited PTC! We haven't been there to visit yet, but that's exactly what I'm looking for- a healthy, active outdoor lifestyle for my family! Sure, we'll be house-bound a lot in the summer heat, but the other months should make up for it.
There are so many pools here you never have to be house-bound. We have a pool in our community and that is where we hang. You can join Canongate and all 3 courses have pools. If you are looking for a healthy, active outdoor lifestyle this is the place. I run 5 times a week and I had no problem running during the summer. I typically go fairly early in the morning but even times when I didn't make it out until 9ish I was fine. Many of the golf cart paths have natural canopies and it really helps with the heat.
Good luck! I think you will love it here!
We just moved here Thanksgiving week and can't imagine living anywhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta