Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 PM

7 posts, read 22,596 times

Advertisements

in other words, in 5 words or less, how would you describe it?

i've been to 5 of the 7 continents and about 43/50 US states, including hawaii....including sydney, melbourne, cairns, singapore, bangkok, tokyo, manilla, beijing, hong kong, shang hai, seoul, tel aviv, jerusalem, cairo, athens, barcelona, zurich, frankfurt, paris, lourdes, bourdeaux, london, carribean region, nyc, chicago, atlanta, la, seattle, houston, new orleans, san diego, and vancouver.

atlanta to me...is better than some places i've visited (El Paso, Cleveland, Pittsburg), it's got a good airport, OK train ride, enough diversity, clean air...but atlanta to me is not a *great* city that i could always visit and never grow tired of...great cities to me are sydney, tokyo, san diego, london, nyc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
5 words??? Hmmmm.....

Black, traffic, sunny, spread out (we'll call that one word!), money-driven

Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
trees, railroad, history, beauty, over-development

Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
trees, hills, urban-forest, bustling, business

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perth2198 View Post
atlanta to me...is better than some places i've visited (El Paso, Cleveland, Pittsburg), it's got a good airport, OK train ride, enough diversity, clean air...but atlanta to me is not a *great* city that i could always visit and never grow tired of...great cities to me are sydney, tokyo, san diego, london, nyc, etc.
Most of the cities you list are either the largest city in their respective countries or the capitol ... or both.

Atlanta isn't either one.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perth2198 View Post
Before living there, I thought the same thing, but it's an easier city to live in than many other large American cities:
(a) 5 million people in the extended urban area and 3.5 million in the core urban area, so hardly hick - worldly view at this point
(b) differentiated economy
(c) great transit system (could be better if 2 more counties would "buy in")
(d) nice enough skyline
(e) good, newer housing stock of all kinds (SFD, condo/TH, apts) & affordable that, in some cases, is a little too "Stepford" and manicured
(f) forested urban setting in knolls with winding roads and boulevards
(g) all kinds of people live there (less "good ole boy" than it used to be, thank God)
(h) humid for about 2.5 months compared to 4 months in HOU or MIA
(i) into "conspicuous consumption" like Dallas because the housing prices make for more disposable income
(j) easy access to Florida and the Middle Atlantic/Northeast, oftentimes with favorable air fares

I think that Atlanta doesn't impress people with the WOW factor because it's not on a navigable port or river, thus making for a lesser dramatic skyline and lesser postcard value. However, I might say it is probably America's most attractive inland city.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
1. Overrated
2. Cliquey
3. Multi-nodal(I think I got that one right) meaning many small centers instead of one large one(both good and bad)
4. Mismanaged
5. Balkanized

Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
1. Overrated
2. Cliquey
3. Multi-nodal(I think I got that one right) meaning many small centers instead of one large one(both good and bad)

4. Mismanaged
5. Balkanized
Don't know about the non-highlighted things, but there tended to be a veneer of too much golf and mint juleps on the veranda (just like Southern aristocracy) on the more corporate north end...Dunwoody and Alpharetta, making it a little phony. With some work, you can find educated and down-to-earth people, but there is some cliquishness, comparatively speaking, for someone who moved there from the West.

Right, multi-nodal can be good and bad. If Cobb and Gwinnett wouldn't still be so "uptight," MARTA rail could easily go up to Vinings/Cumberland and up to Gwinnett Place, making congestion a lot less of a problem.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 AM

161 posts, read 405,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
but there tended to be a veneer of too much golf and mint juleps on the veranda (just like Southern aristocracy) on the more corporate north end...Dunwoody and Alpharetta, making it a little phony.
As a resident of Johns Creek/Alpharetta, I don't feel any of this, and it may only describe a small subset of my fellow residents. This is how I would describe the north end:
multi-national, educated, family friendly, beautiful (trees, river, and many parks/trails) NOT PHONY (wealth doesn't equal snobbery or phoniness, quite honestly I've found the opposite to be true, as to be successful it is important to be genuine and friendly).

Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Diverse, urban tree canopy, great weather, large airport, historic core, and MARTA.
Atlanta is very diverse compared to other cities. Has the densest tree-canopy for any large city. Beatiful weather all year. Hartsfield-Jackson has connections to almost any city in America. The historic downtown and old street-car suburbs are full of rich and diverse architecture. MARTA can't compared to other large cities, but serves the Atlanta core well. Every bus route connects to at least 1 rail station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta