Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 11,962 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

My partner is possibly taking a position in the Atlanta area and we're trying to figure out the best areas to live. We explored midtown, Virginia highlands, Decatur, Buckhead, Druid hills, Smyrna, Marietta, and sandy springs. We need an area that wouldn't have a killer commute to ATL.

We're white males in our late 20's/early 30's and are looking for a walkable area that's "burb" like, quiet, running trails, not too urban, but can walk to a coffee shop or restaurant in about 1/2 mile, with the possibility of buying a single family home in the mid 300's.

Additionally, we want an area that's gay friendly. To clarify, Midtown is too gay for us. We're non-gay gays, as I put it. We're not the pride going hand holding type. By gay friendly, I just prefer an area where neighbors don't look at us like we're aliens.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

-M

Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,436 times
I live in Smyrna and you would be very welcome here. Close to Silver Comet Trail and Chattahochee River for specific running areas, but lots of runner/walkers throughout the city. The area would fit your commute and budget requirements as well

Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgononrev View Post
I just prefer an area where neighbors don't look at us like we're aliens.
You'll be fine as a same sex couple but if someone suspects you're an alien, you're in big trouble.

I live 36 miles out from midtown, and there's at least one same sex couple in my sub that I'm friendly with. They're very involved in the community and I haven't heard of any intolerance towards them. I'd imagine any of those communities you listed would be fine then again there is nowhere on earth that is 100% free of intolerant you-know-whats.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
You'll be fine as a same sex couple but if someone suspects you're an alien, you're in big trouble.

I live 36 miles out from midtown, and there's at least one same sex couple in my sub that I'm friendly with. They're very involved in the community and I haven't heard of any intolerance towards them. I'd imagine any of those communities you listed would be fine then again there is nowhere on earth that is 100% free of intolerant you-know-whats.
And gay aliens are right out!!

I don't actually live in GA, I'm just an equal opportunity jokester.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
Come live next to me! We could use an active homosexual couple to keep the neighborhood clean!

As was previously stated, I doubt you'll run into issues anywhere in the metro. Gays have been moving out of midtown into the burbs for a while now, so unless it's really redneck, chances are you won't be the only ones in the neighborhood.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,499 times
This is a non-issue. There will be a few prejudiced people wherever you go, but I don't think they would be a problem anywhere in the metro area. If you are looking for universal acceptance, you won't find that here or anywhere. Heck, whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, gays, straights, etc all experience some level of discrimination in different locations. I don't lose sleep over the people who don't accept me, I encourage you to do the same since universal discrimination is a non-issue here.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Yes, I am sure there are many MANY neighborhoods all around Metro Atlanta that would welcome a gay couple to help prop up property values!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgononrev View Post
Hey All,

My partner is possibly taking a position in the Atlanta area and we're trying to figure out the best areas to live. We explored midtown, Virginia highlands, Decatur, Buckhead, Druid hills, Smyrna, Marietta, and sandy springs. We need an area that wouldn't have a killer commute to ATL.

We're white males in our late 20's/early 30's and are looking for a walkable area that's "burb" like, quiet, running trails, not too urban, but can walk to a coffee shop or restaurant in about 1/2 mile, with the possibility of buying a single family home in the mid 300's.

Additionally, we want an area that's gay friendly. To clarify, Midtown is too gay for us. We're non-gay gays, as I put it. We're not the pride going hand holding type. By gay friendly, I just prefer an area where neighbors don't look at us like we're aliens.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

-M
for some reason whittier mill village popped into my head when you described what you wanted in a neighbourhood. i don't know if that's too rural for you, but it is in the atlanta city limits.

Home | Whittier MIll Village Neighborhood Association

Whittier Mill Village | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Come live next to me! We could use an active homosexual couple to keep the neighborhood clean!
As opposed to passive? Sorry, couldn't pass up on the pun.

Carry on...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,041 times
I second the Smyrna suggestion. Fits your price range, your commute preference and far from intolerant. It's really become a popular spot for gays and lesbians who don't want the Midtown experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta