Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM

314 posts, read 639,358 times

Advertisements

Investigating Corruption Risk in Your State Government - State Integrity Investigation
(interactive map)

Quote:
Public Access to Information
F
Political Financing
F
Executive Accountability
D-
Legislative Accountability
F
Judicial Accountability
C-
State Budget Processes
D
State Civil Service Management
F
Procurement
D
Internal Auditing
B
Lobbying Disclosure
F
State Pension Fund Management
F
Ethics Enforcement Agencies
F
State Insurance Commissions
F
Redistricting
F
Can't say I'm all that surprised... Stuff like this:
FDIC sues insiders at failed Ga. bank *| ajc.com

generally tends to give your state a black eye.

Whole list:
B+ 87% New Jersey
B 86% Connecticut
B- 83% Washington
B- 81% California
B- 80% Nebraska
C+ 79% Mississippi
C+ 78% Iowa
C 76% Tennessee
C 75% Kansas
C 74% Hawaii
C 74% Illinois
C 74% Massachusetts
C 74% Rhode Island
C- 73% Oregon
C- 72% Alabama
C- 72% Louisiana
C- 72% Missouri
C- 71% Florida
C- 71% Kentucky
C- 71% North Carolina
C- 71% Pennsylvania
C- 70% Delaware
C- 70% Indiana
C- 70% Wisconsin
D+ 69% Minnesota
D+ 69% Vermont
D+ 68% Alaska
D+ 68% Arizona
D+ 68% Arkansas
D+ 68% Montana
D+ 68% Texas
D+ 68% West Virginia
D+ 67% Colorado
D 66% New Hampshire
D 66% Ohio
D 65% New York
D 65% Utah
D 64% Oklahoma
D- 62% New Mexico
D- 61% Idaho
D- 61% Maryland
D- 60% Nevada
F 58% Michigan
F 58% North Dakota
F 57% South Carolina
F 56% Maine
F 55% Virginia
F 52% Wyoming
F 50% South Dakota
F 49% Georgia

Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Sorry, but I don't buy it. Sure, we can do a lot better. But weak sunshine laws don't necessarily equal corruption. There's absolutely no way that Georgia is more "corrupt" than other Southern states like Louisiana, which wrote the user manuel for corruption, or Alabama, which I believe has TWO former governors currently in prison!! And you want to tell me Georgia is more corrupt than northern states like Illinois and New Jersey?! Yeah ... right ... whatever!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Absolute b/s

Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
How it bets SC Idk...I suppose it's just because I live in the most corrupt county with a highly corrupt governor leading our state that I feel that way, but I can see why Georgia would score low. For decades now the administration in Atlanta has been focused on insuring no city or town gets anything without Atlanta getting it first, and if that area could be a threat if improved, they make sure it doesn't happen. Why else would you say Augusta, which holds arguably an even more strategic spot than Atlanta has only one main interstate and one by-pass?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
^^^ How in heaven's name is AUGUSTA more strategically located than ATLANTA?! What are they teaching y'all in SC schools?!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
Why else would you say Augusta, which holds arguably an even more strategic spot than Atlanta has only one main interstate and one by-pass?
Because Augusta is not centrally located at all? (it's on the SC border, for crying out loud!)

Because Augusta has a population roughly 10% that of Atlanta

Because Augusta is not at the natural intersection of any interstates? You could lobby the federal govt. to move I-95 west 100 miles and you might get that, but I don't think they'll bite.

Atlanta might try to get the most from Georgia because:

It is the economic driver of Georgia
It is the cultural center of Georgia
It is the population center of Georgia
It is the entertainment center of Georgia
It is the transportation hub of Georgia
It is the employment center of Georgia
It is the medical center of Georgia
It is the education center of Georgia

The list goes on. I wonder if people in Syracuse wonder why New York City gets the most in New York or if people in Springfield wonder what the big deal about Chicago is.

I don't know the numbers, but I bet that you could increase what Atlanta receives by 50% and it would still be subsidizing the rest of Georgia.

I'm sure Georgia is corrupt as heck, but I don't think it would be much less if Macon, Savannah, and Augusta had more say so.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Because Augusta is not centrally located at all? (it's on the SC border, for crying out loud!)

Because Augusta has a population roughly 10% that of Atlanta

Because Augusta is not at the natural intersection of any interstates? You could lobby the federal govt. to move I-95 west 100 miles and you might get that, but I don't think they'll bite.

Atlanta might try to get the most from Georgia because:

It is the economic driver of Georgia
It is the cultural center of Georgia
It is the population center of Georgia
It is the entertainment center of Georgia
It is the transportation hub of Georgia
It is the employment center of Georgia
It is the medical center of Georgia
It is the education center of Georgia

The list goes on. I wonder if people in Syracuse wonder why New York City gets the most in New York or if people in Springfield wonder what the big deal about Chicago is.

I don't know the numbers, but I bet that you could increase what Atlanta receives by 50% and it would still be subsidizing the rest of Georgia.

I'm sure Georgia is corrupt as heck, but I don't think it would be much less if Macon, Savannah, and Augusta had more say so.
I'll have to disagree with the two comments made above.. Augusta is nearby Atlanta, Columbia, Savannah, Greenville, Charlotte, Charleston, Chattanooga..

Emory 'had' an dental school, and we all know what happen..
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/29/us/plagued-by-falling-enrollment-dental-schools-close-or-cut-back.html

Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
That list is so full of surprises, I don't know where to begin.
Florida gets a "C"? How much did they pay to get that "C"?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
That list is so full of surprises, I don't know where to begin.
Florida gets a "C"? How much did they pay to get that "C"?
Please read the original study.

State Integrity Investigation

The ratings have nothing at all to do with actual corruption, but with the laws and processes that are in place in each state.

I knew when it first came out that we'd see it misrepresented all over the news ... and all over these forums.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I knew when it first came out that we'd see it misrepresented all over the news ... and all over these forums.
And it's also a non Atlanta-specific topic as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta