Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But the Feds will fund expansion of existing HRT systems? Or will Atlanta have to expand with LRTs if it wants federal support?
Its harder to get federal funds for HRT systems, since LRT is cheaper. Bush administration pushed for BRT, while Obama administration has pushed for LRT.

Last edited by cqholt; 05-10-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But the Feds will fund expansion of existing HRT systems? Or will Atlanta have to expand with LRTs if it wants federal support?
Yes, extensions do get funded like the extension of MARTA to Sandy Springs and the Silver line to Dulles in DC. But HRT systems from scratch? Forget about it. And it's a shame too.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have been here 8 years and Dallas does lack in many of these areas. Yeah, there are some hot lakes that last summer you couldn't use because they were so low you would ruin a boat by hitting the submerged trees that were exposed.

A 5-6 hour drive will get you to Galveston beach. Not worth the time or effort. You have to drive 12 or more to get to South Padre, might as well drive the same hours to Pensacola. Mountains? A 5-6 hour drive to Arkansas and the Ozarks which are nothing like the Appalachians. Otherwise an all day drive to New Mexico or Colorado.

DART has just opened to Love Field, is still some years away before going to DFW. From the origin of most locals, it would be ten times the hassle to take DART to DFW, nothing like the ease of using MARTA. ATL is more convenient to most of Atlanta than DFW is to most of the metroplex.

Housing has fared better but Dallas never got a boom like Atlanta in the 90s and early 2000s from which to bust as hard. It is more like Atlanta has come back to where Dallas was all along.

Yes, there are some bike trails here and there. Nothing to compare to the Silver Comet Trail. Nothing in Dallas is similar to what the Beltline will be as well.

Dallas has NOTHING to compare to the Chattahoochee National River Parks, nothing to compare to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, nothing to compare to Stone Mountain. Dallas has a Six Flags, Atlanta has a Six Flags, Dallas has water parks, Atlanta has water parks. Dallas has malls and movie theaters, so does Atlanta. But the natural beauty in all of metro Atlanta and in both the access to beaches and mountains within a short drive.... well Dallas loses here BIG TIME.
Dallas is roughly 3-5 hours from the Ouachitas, and no, they're not the Appalachians, but they're beautiful nonetheless. The author's statement of Colorado being the closest outdoor recreation haven to DFW is absurd, to say the least.

It's actually quite telling that some of you would be so quick to put so much stock into such a **** poor article that's only loosely based on any real fact.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Same goes for Houston.
Hm, still haven't gotten that vision checked yet?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Dallas is roughly 3-5 hours from the Ouachitas, and no, they're not the Appalachians, but they're beautiful nonetheless. The author's statement of Colorado being the closest outdoor recreation haven to DFW is absurd, to say the least.

It's actually quite telling that some of you would be so quick to put so much stock into such a **** poor article that's only loosely based on any real fact.
I love the Ouachitas and the Ozarks. But I could be in the north Georgia blue ridge in a little over an hour's drive from my home in Marietta. That is a huge difference than 3-5 hours.

Who is putting so much stock into this article? It was a springboard for conversation for those that are interested. As a resident of both cities involved for the majority of my life, I feel qualified to put in my two cents. I don't dislike Dallas, I just like Atlanta a whole lot more.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I love the Ouachitas and the Ozarks. But I could be in the north Georgia blue ridge in a little over an hour's drive from my home in Marietta. That is a huge difference than 3-5 hours.

Who is putting so much stock into this article? It was a springboard for conversation for those that are interested. As a resident of both cities involved for the majority of my life, I feel qualified to put in my two cents. I don't dislike Dallas, I just like Atlanta a whole lot more.
"Great read" were the first words of your first post in this thread. As long as he was praising Atlanta, you didn't seem to be bothered by the obvious bias and wealth of misinformation.

Honestly, I'd be offended that the author of such bunk was representing my city.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
"Great read" were the first words of your first post in this thread. As long as he was praising Atlanta, you didn't seem to be bothered by the obvious bias and wealth of misinformation.

Honestly, I'd be offended that the author of such bunk was representing my city.
My only comment for this thread.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
You guys should know by now that anytime someone tries to show an advantage or positive Atlanta has over another city someone is going to try to knock it down on city-data. Atlanta just can't win on this site.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You guys should know by now that anytime someone tries to show an advantage or positive Atlanta has over another city someone is going to try to knock it down on city-data. Atlanta just can't win on this site.
Cry me a river.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:

Seems like this is a river of tears right here....

Been in Dallas 8 years now. I like it. It is a great city and has a lot going for it. However it ain't Atlanta. MY OPINION and I said as much. All your posturing and blithering won't change my perception one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta