Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Enjoying that "luxuriant foliage" over there in Houston?

I wish Texas and Georgia would stop being compared. They offer different things to different types of people. Nobody is wrong...

Except for when they say Houston looks just like an east coast city.
Maybe there is just confusion because the Gulf of Mexico coast in Texas faces East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You guys should know by now that anytime someone tries to show an advantage or positive Atlanta has over another city someone is going to try to knock it down on city-data. Atlanta just can't win on this site.
I noticed this too.

So how is this

**** Dallas

Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I usually run during cooler times of the day, even in Atlanta.

Atlanta is not unique in this respect.

Right. Can't see the forest for the trees.

I just remember driving by the Atlanta waterworks

atlanta ga - Google Maps

That's what we're missing.

This closer to the city would be nice.

atlanta ga - Google Maps

This spot is less than have that distance from the center of Dallas

dallas tx - Google Maps

And this is closer still

Robertson Park to Dallas, TX - Google Maps

But, you're not FORCED to run in cooler parts of the day in Atlanta like you would be in Texas. Also, I've never lived in a city that had the bird alarm clock that I have here in Atlanta, or at least in Candler Park. Also, I like the fact that the tree cover makes it so you're not living in a hot concrete furnace like a regular city. I also like how it blocks views and makes things seem more laid back.

I'm from New Orleans. I'm over water and it's appeal, and not because of Katrina because I've been here since 2002. Give me mountains anyday.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
But, you're not FORCED to run in cooler parts of the day in Atlanta like you would be in Texas. Also, I've never lived in a city that had the bird alarm clock that I have here in Atlanta, or at least in Candler Park. Also, I like the fact that the tree cover makes it so you're not living in a hot concrete furnace like a regular city. I also like how it blocks views and makes things seem more laid back.
Yes, I am forced to run in cooler parts of the day. In fact, there have been summer days here where I wouldn't go out in the Atlanta mid-day sun. Those days, I'm out in the morning and evening but indoors during the afternoon. It gives me a case of "cabin fever". And it's not like there are a lot of tree canopy trails to be found. The trees don't help me out that much.

Quote:
I'm from New Orleans. I'm over water and it's appeal, and not because of Katrina because I've been here since 2002. Give me mountains anyday.
I've been here a lot longer and feel bit water starved. And even hill starved. I'm from Western PA, and to me...Atlanta is flatland. But naturally that description is relative.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Enjoying that "luxuriant foliage" over there in Houston?
Indeed I am. Today was somewhat of a damp but cool day in Houston, so I walked for about 45 minutes through a friend's neighborhood and enjoyed looking up at 80 ft.+ trees, but at the same time hoping that a snake didn't free fall onto my head.

Quote:
I wish Texas and Georgia would stop being compared. They offer different things to different types of people. Nobody is wrong...
Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston all have distinct characteristics that make them different from one another, but in the bigger picture, they're more alike than different. "Sprawling, suburban, cheap, Southern business town" is how you could describe all three and be right on target.

Quote:
Except for when they say Houston looks just like an east coast city.
New York, Philly, DC- East Coast? No. Jacksonville/Orlando-East Coast? Yup. Deny it 'til the day you die. It won't make it any less true.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
This thread is funny...

Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi
so I walked for about 45 minutes through a friend's neighborhood and enjoyed looking up at 80 ft.+ trees
Ahhh the beautiful 80+ foot pines. At least there was a Whataburger (love that place) close by. Just hop in the car and flip around on the feeder road.

Quote:
New York, Philly, DC- East Coast? No. Jacksonville/Orlando-East Coast? Yup. Deny it 'til the day you die. It won't make it any less true.
Hey, we don't disagree! Houston is just like Jacksonville and Orlando. But when the term "east coast city" is used, people don't think of those places. Atlanta is certainly not like Orlando or Jacksonville.

These places are in Florida btw. Florida is an east coast state just like Florida is a southern state. Its may be technically true, but not characteristically so.

I hope we can have fun at this point Nairobi. Believe it or not, I do brag on Texas and Houston....occasionally. And I hate that NYC got the shuttle.

Oh yeah, this thread is about Dallas.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Ahhh the beautiful 80+ foot pines. At least there was a Whataburger (love that place) close by. Just hop in the car and flip around on the feeder road.
Pines as well as hardwoods, actually. To be honest, most of the tall trees in Greater Houston are pine, so I can understand how someone not looking closely would never notice that there are tall hardwoods as well.

Quote:
Hey, we don't disagree! Houston is just like Jacksonville and Orlando. But when the term "east coast city" is used, people don't think of those places. Atlanta is certainly not like Orlando or Jacksonville.

These places are in Florida btw. Florida is an east coast state just like Florida is a southern state. Its may be technically true, but not characteristically so.

I hope we can have fun at this point Nairobi. Believe it or not, I do brag on Texas and Houston....occasionally. And I hate that NYC got the shuttle.

Oh yeah, this thread is about Dallas.
Fine, but Atlanta isn't East Coast either. I can't recall if you ever said that, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
No one has ever called Atlanta a East coast city..

Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yes, I am forced to run in cooler parts of the day. In fact, there have been summer days here where I wouldn't go out in the Atlanta mid-day sun.
Someone from Pennsylvania arguing with someone from New Orleans about how hot it is is pretty futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta