Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times

Advertisements

Hip hop is no different when it comes to crimes. Heavy metal industry has its fair share but it gets swept under a rug but no one wants to talk about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,479 times
It looks like a collection of has-beens and never-will-bes. I actually feel kind of bad for Rasheeda. The poor girl has been trying to catch a break since Clinton was in office.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I wish Atlanta were big enough to embrace it's Hip Hop industry the same way New York City (the birthplace of Hip Hop) embraces its without people feeling like the whole city is being downgraded because it's being defined by a bunch of Hip Hoppers.

If you ask me the problem isn't that Atlanta has too much Hip Hop it's that it doesn't have enough other home grown industries (High tech, manufacturing, finance and banking, big time classical arts, etc. etc.)
Hip-Hop is a creative culture born out of the streets, and rap music is just one aspect of that culture. Most of the rap music you here today, especially alot of the southern rap on the radio is not hip-hop in my opinion because it lacks creativity. It also is not made in the spirit of the entire culture. Unfortunately Atlanta's "rap" scene has is viewed in a negative way because it not's progressive. Atlanta does have a dope underground hip-hop scene, but most of those artist can't get any shine. Outkast, Goodie Mob and even Young Jeezy and T.I. represent the spirit of hip-hop, but all these new guys can't rap there way out of a wet paper bag.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I wish Atlanta were big enough to embrace it's Hip Hop industry the same way New York City (the birthplace of Hip Hop) embraces its without people feeling like the whole city is being downgraded because it's being defined by a bunch of Hip Hoppers.
I'm not that worried about it. Musical fads come and go but society carries on. Many people are utterly oblivious to stuff like that.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:05 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Yikes...another train wreck in progress. Just what hip-hop and the city of Atlanta needs, another season of foolishness...and before anyone starts I am a Black male die-hard hip-hop fan who totally participates and understands the culture. However, these shows are a horrible representation of my people (black folks), and my culture (hip-hop) and will be a horrible representation of my new home (Atlanta). It will just further Atlanta's reputation (falsely held by the rest of the country) as a bunch of black, shallow, materialistic, hood rich, gold digging (you fill in the blank). WAKE UP PEOPLE!
What do you mean? Atlanta people love celebs. I don't understand what you mean.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Hip hop is no different when it comes to crimes. Heavy metal industry has its fair share but it gets swept under a rug but no one wants to talk about that.
True.

Pure racism in my opinion. The media covers hip hop crime because hip hop is more black and heavy metal is more white. The media portrays black in a negative light more then whites.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23
True.

Pure racism in my opinion. The media covers hip hop crime because hip hop is more black and heavy metal is more white. The media portrays black in a negative light more then whites.
Oh, that's not true at all. Back when heavy metal was a big thing there was a huge outcry about it inciting violence, suicide, sex, drug use, and on and on. Many prominent people and organizations (including the national PTA) got involved and there were lengthy Senate hearings where artists and the recording industry were called on the carpet. This was the genesis of the "Parental Advisory" issue -- under pressure from the government and the public the recording industry agreed to put warning labels on music with "explicit" lyrics. A lot of stores even refused to sell such songs to underage individuals.

And don't forget the tremendous furor over rock and roll in the 1950s and 60s. Many songs and performers were banned from doing live shows or having their music played on radio and television. They often couldn't get recording contracts and stores refused to carry their music. There was even a bill in Congress to totally outlaw it in the United States.

The claim that hip hop has somehow been singled out for persecution is WAY off base. That's just not factually correct.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
2 Live Crew had a big hand in the parental advisory label.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Personally I am opposed to censorship but you always come back to the basic question of why people suddenly decided it was necessary fill their songs with repeated references to the F word, the N word, the P word, etc. For centuries great music and poetry were created without that sort of thing and it's hard to see how they have enhanced the human experience.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, that's not true at all. Back when heavy metal was a big thing there was a huge outcry about it inciting violence, suicide, sex, drug use, and on and on. Many prominent people and organizations (including the national PTA) got involved and there were lengthy Senate hearings where artists and the recording industry were called on the carpet. This was the genesis of the "Parental Advisory" issue -- under pressure from the government and the public the recording industry agreed to put warning labels on music with "explicit" lyrics. A lot of stores even refused to sell such songs to underage individuals.

And don't forget the tremendous furor over rock and roll in the 1950s and 60s. Many songs and performers were banned from doing live shows or having their music played on radio and television. They often couldn't get recording contracts and stores refused to carry their music. There was even a bill in Congress to totally outlaw it in the United States.

The claim that hip hop has somehow been singled out for persecution is WAY off base. That's just not factually correct.

Basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta