Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,352 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I need help.

I closed ona proprty on Thursday afternoon. I walked into the property on Friday morning and it is flooded. The damage was extensive and mold growth had begun.

The closing was originally scheduled for the 25th but was rescheduled for a week later. I had conducted an inspection on the property on the 21st. The inspection report noted that the water had not been turned on. There wa no water service at the property.

The water damage expert says the flooding must have occurred for at least a week. I have no idea who turned the water on. I can't find out until Monday.

What are my options? This was a Freddie Mac property and Bought it as is. I did not do a final walk through on day of closing because I was trying to make sure the funding went through successfully. This was a cash transaction.

The water event occurred after my due diligence period and before closing. What can I do.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
What a nightmare!

What was the cause of the flooding? Was it rain or a burst pipe?
I had a similar issue with a house I bought once upon a time. The air conditioning drain pipe leaked inside the wall and the day I moved in I was greeted by a soaked carpet and mold growing on the wall.

I contacted the insurance company who took care of it completely.

I would check with your policy (hopefully you have insurance on it!!) and see what types of water damage are covered and call the ins co immediately.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
What I read is that you closed on the property on Thursday and discovered the water damage on Friday? If so, contact your home insurance company.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,907 times
Since you bought the property "as is," I doubt that you have any recourse toward the seller - especially since you did have the property inspected.

Your home inspector noted that water at the property had been turned off - thereby preventing him/her from any tests related to water, and essentially releasing him/her from any liability in that regard - unless you can legally prove that he should have/could have noted the problem somehow. Even then, you'd be looking at a lawsuit to recover any money.

To make matters worse, you also failed to do a final walk through during which, as I understand it, you would have discovered the problem. Had you done the walk through, you would have discovered the problem, and you would likely not have purchased the property without having this issue resolved, first.

Unless you purchased home owners insurance that started on the day of your closing, my best guess is that you will be stuck with the damages. Even if you purchased home owners insurance, the insurance inspector might determine what your water damage expert already determined: That the problem has existed for about a week. If so, your insurance will likely decline to cover the damage as it would be seen as having occurred outside of the coverage period.

Still, I think your biggest problem will be that you purchased "as is" without any warranties - doing so basically puts the ball completely in your hands.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,352 times
Thanks for your responses. The cause of the flood was the cold water valve in the laundry. The valve wa left on slightly. Some one must have connected the water sometime and the valve was not shut off completely perhaps Blythe inspector. I plan to call Gwinnett water resources to find out who authorized and when the water was cited. Hopefully that will help.

And no. I have no insurance. Sid not even know I was supposed to get one with a cash transaction. Hard lesson

Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,017 times
No insurance? So if the place burned down tomorrow, you would be out whatever you paid for it?

Kind of a big risk.

I had the same thing with the water happen in the house we currently rent. The management company or whoever left the laundry value full ON and when I had water connected, it flooded. Luckily, the water guy checked the meter after he turned it on, and saw that it was moving. He immediately turned the water back off, preventing a major disaster. Still, the landlord had to get a company to pull up the edges of the carpet and put dryers for a few days.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
You need to saturate the wet area with Clorox.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM

188 posts, read 297,121 times
This is a voluntary foreclosure waiting to happen.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
This is a voluntary foreclosure waiting to happen.
It was a cash transaction, so who's going to foreclose???

Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It was a cash transaction, so who's going to foreclose???
Bank of America robo-signers have done that in the past. Why not also this time?

robo-signing [Burbed.com]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta