Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,982 times

Advertisements

Urban centers draw more young, educated adults - USATODAY.com

This shows how we need to get serious about this. Everyone on this forum seems to think that age range is trying to have kids and go buy homes in the burbs for whatever reason (may be a southern thing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Yeah I'm in that range and don't want to live in the burbs.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I'm extremely glad to see the young folk evening things out!

The demographic tsunami we're facing is the aging of the population. As Dr. Arthur Nelson recently pointed out, "...the baby boomers are now entering their senior years. "(People aged) 65-plus will be 77 percent of the housing demand between 2010 and 2030."

That ought to give the 25-34 crowd something to work on.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,092 times
I am at the upper end of the range and no plans for the suburbs. We now have a child and it still doesn't appeal to us, that said I've lived in the suburbs before and having owned a house in that setting I now look at things a little different then when I was younger and would as much as possible choose location over an extra big house.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Urban centers draw more young, educated adults - USATODAY.com

This shows how we need to get serious about this. Everyone on this forum seems to think that age range is trying to have kids and go buy homes in the burbs for whatever reason (may be a southern thing).
Is it any surprise (or anything new) that younger, and mainly single adults choose to live in urban areas? It's not to me. People in that demographic have always tended to be more interested in night life and urban type of living and gravitate to urban areas. The same people, once they have a family and changing needs, are the ones buying houses in the suburbs.

Here is probably another powerful reason:

"Among the lures are cash incentives: a $25,000 forgivable loan to buy (need to stay at least five years) downtown or $3,500 on a two-year lease."

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Cities have always appealed to young people.

This really isn't anything new.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,374 times
^Pretty sure that incentive is less than the cost differential from living in the 'burbs in most parts of the country. Atlanta had something similar but it was for lower income (under 75k I think) and required living in certain areas. I could have a SFH w/ 2k+ sqft in a decent area OTP for my 1bdr cost and enough left for a new Bimmer but I don't want to live in the car even though I do love wasting money on cars.

Also, don't forget there are more single people than ever so demand is definitely there. Living closer to amenities and having lower maintenance living are other draws and I've met more than a few seniors/empty nesters in my condo tower. If my parents could sell their place, I'd like for them to get something smaller and closer in but the 78 corridor really imploded. Even all the Starbucks in the area shut down so it'd be tough for them to get out even though their home is paid for.

Even if I make the big bucks and need 9,000sqft to spread out and relax, I don't see myself not having at least a Pied-à-terre. My current lifestyle of traveling for work simply doesn't require a lawn or a garage. My g/f travels too (flight attendant) and adding 30-40 min for the airport commute seems crazy to me but quite a few of her coworkers live in Gwinnett and blow any housing cost savings on expensive cars that get a ton of miles and destroyed paint from being parked outside in the employee lots to be pigeon poop receptacles.

My brother has a 4yr old and is extremely happy w/ his loft in Buckhead. He's in a good district for elementary at least and they have fairly short commutes to work and all the places they like. They cruise up to Gwinnett to visit the in-laws on weekends/Costco runs but about the only thing he's missing is probably closer access to bicycle trails.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Don't the statistics say the younger generation is having fewer children and is waiting longer to have them?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM

749 posts, read 887,359 times
It's no surprise that the young and educated choose city living but the takeaway is that today, you would see 61% more of those yuppies walking around in Atlanta than you would 9 years ago. Those numbers will only increase as a result of the current apartment boom intown.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 AM

749 posts, read 887,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The same people, once they have a family and changing needs, are the ones buying houses in the suburbs.[/i]
At least those moving to the burbs from an urban lifestyle will be more susceptible to regional connectivity and sustainable living compared to the typical NIMBYism that views Atlanta as being the son of Satan. The growing popularity of intown living could turn up paying dividends in the future as we could gain a more sophisticated and cultured suburban population.

Could you imagine an Atlanta region where all communinties OTP and ITP come together as a single unit for the greater good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta