Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The thing is, how can I see them when they dart out in front of me without warning?

Wouldn't you assume that somebody is not going to step (or in some cases run) off the sidewalk and into the street without warning or demonstrating any intent to do so?

Today for example, I had a jogger run right out into the street in front of me. He had his headphones on and wasn't aware of anything going on around him. Fortunately I was paying close attention and was able to come to an abrupt stop. He didn't even notice how close he had come and just kept on running.
You are the one entering (turning) the roadway and therefor should ensure it is safe to cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
The thing is, how can I see them when they dart out in front of me without warning?

Wouldn't you assume that somebody is not going to step (or in some cases run) off the sidewalk and into the street without warning or demonstrating any intent to do so?

Today for example, I had a jogger run right out into the street in front of me. He had his headphones on and wasn't aware of anything going on around him. Fortunately I was paying close attention and was able to come to an abrupt stop. He didn't even notice how close he had come and just kept on running.
Arjay, you and I and everyone else on this forum knows full well that CQ will never admit that a pedestrian (or cyclist) has the ability to create a hazard.

But the truth is, CQ is wrong. There are lots of scenarios in which drivers do everything right, but a pedestrian jumps out of nowhere into the street. All you have to do is drive near GSU to see this in action.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Arjay, you and I and everyone else on this forum knows full well that CQ will never admit that a pedestrian (or cyclist) has the ability to create a hazard.

But the truth is, CQ is wrong. There are lots of scenarios in which drivers do everything right, but a pedestrian jumps out of nowhere into the street. All you have to do is drive near GSU to see this in action.
Quote:
Unless a sign posted at that intersection pro-hibits doing so, it is permissible to make a “right turn on red” at an intersection controlled by a traffic control light. You may proceed only after making a complete stop, yielding to all traffic and pedestrians, and making the determination that you can safely complete the turn
Quote:
How To Make A Right Turn
•Using appropriate signals, and giving drivers ahead of and behind you adequate notice, activate your right turn signal;
•Approach the intersection in the right lane, staying as close as practicable to the curb or edge of the roadway;
•If there is a bicycle lane on the road on which you are traveling, you must yield to bicyclists traveling straight through the intersection before making a right turn;
•Make the turn in such a way as to end up in the right lane of the street into which you have turned and avoid entering any other lane of traffic. If there are multiple turning lanes on the street you are turning from, com-plete the turn so that your vehicle ends up in the corresponding lane on the street you are turning onto.
Quote:
Watching for Pedestrians When Making TurnsAt most intersections where there is a pe-destrian signal, the “Walk” signal of the cross-ing street corresponds to the green light of the roadway you are traveling on. This means that when you are authorized to turn, pedestrians are authorized to cross the street onto which you are turning at the same time. Therefore, before making your turn, you must stop and remain stopped for any pedestrians in the crosswalk of the road onto which you wish to turn until they have cleared the lanes of traffic upon which you are traveling
Georgia DDS Handbook (GA Driver's Manual) 2017

Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Quote:
Quote:
How To Make A Right Turn
•Using appropriate signals, and giving drivers ahead of and behind you adequate notice, activate your right turn signal;
•Approach the intersection in the right lane, staying as close as practicable to the curb or edge of the roadway;
•If there is a bicycle lane on the road on which you are traveling, you must yield to bicyclists traveling straight through the intersection before making a right turn;
•Make the turn in such a way as to end up in the right lane of the street into which you have turned and avoid entering any other lane of traffic. If there are multiple turning lanes on the street you are turning from, com-plete the turn so that your vehicle ends up in the corresponding lane on the street you are turning onto.
Quote:
Quote:
Watching for Pedestrians When Making TurnsAt most intersections where there is a pe-destrian signal, the “Walk” signal of the cross-ing street corresponds to the green light of the roadway you are traveling on. This means that when you are authorized to turn, pedestrians are authorized to cross the street onto which you are turning at the same time. Therefore, before making your turn, you must stop and remain stopped for any pedestrians in the crosswalk of the road onto which you wish to turn until they have cleared the lanes of traffic upon which you are traveling
Georgia DDS Handbook (GA Driver's Manual) 2017
So I have strictly complied with all of the above (as always).

How does that address the problem of pedestrians illegally darting out into the intersection?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM
JPD

Quote:
Go drive over by GSU then come on back and plead your case. Driving rules will not keep peds from getting themselves killed via their own ignorant actions.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Go drive over by GSU then come on back and plead your case.
As a pedestrian in Downtown and GSU, I do see horrible pedestrian behavior in those areas. Which means drivers and pedestrians should be even more aware.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
So I have strictly complied with all of the above (as always).

How does that address the problem of pedestrians illegally darting out into the intersection?

What was illegal about what the pedestrian did? I listed the laws above, so please be as specific as possible and thank you for driving slow in our urban areas.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
What was illegal about what the pedestrian did? I listed the laws above, so please be as specific as possible and thank you for driving slow in our urban areas.
This is from Seattle but this is exactly what Arjay is talking about.

Quote:
But did you know that it actually against the law to dart out into the roadway or suddenly enter a crosswalk? The law states that no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to stop. Darting out into the roadway is frequently a contributing cause in vehicle-pedestrian collisions. Stopping at the curb before entering the roadway signals drivers that you intend to cross the street.
Here's this from Gahighwaysafety.org

Quote:
(b) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield.
Which is also stated here.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:37 AM
JPD

CQ, read that ^^

Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
CQ, read that ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta