Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times

Advertisements

How many of you have been? I went this past weekend and the set up is really nice. There's some really good food out there as well. The one thing I think they need do more of is advertise considering most of the people I told have no clue it's even there. Seems to have gotten popular pretty quick as The Travel Channel well be there filming today. I recommend it, great place to go hang out for a few hours...go check it out.

Atlantafoodtruckpark.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
I've been once. We enjoyed it. It was on a weeknight the first month they were open. There was a near gridlcok situation on the nearby roads as people tried to find parking.

There is a "casacde effect" that happens when one truck runs out of food. This happened to my wife. She waited in line for 10 minutes at one truck, got the window, and they announced they were out of food. Everyone hopped over to nearby trucks, doubling the length of those lines, so then she had to wait another 20 minutes to get anything to eat.

Not sure how many people will show up for lunch there when it's 94 degrees out. Shade is scarce. Coming back to the office drenched in sweat after lunch is never fun.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
Generally it's been great, but sometimes it's a real crap shoot knowing if there will be either plenty of food options or else slim pickins.

We went on a Saturday night at 8:45 and only two trucks were there serving food, one of which was crossing out most of their menu as we stepped into line. The prior Saturday offered 8 or so trucks, all still going around 9:30.

It's best to check out their facebook page and/or twitter before you head there, just to get a feel for what trucks will be there that day and night. I've also found Thursday and Friday evenings 6-8 to have the best offerings, generally. But get there early if you want one of the sit down tables with umbrellas.

Also, *very* family friendly there, for those who care about that.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM

329 posts, read 638,319 times
My family and i enjoyed it too.

It can get very hot especially during lunch time, and shaded seating is scarce.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,779 times
We went on a day that the city decided to revoke the license to all the food trucks. I guess there was some disagreement by the city as if it were legal for the trucks to be permitted or not. So we didn't get to try any of the food. One other problem we had was finding out where and how to get to the parking lot. We knew where the site was, but there wasn't any signage or anything directing to the parking lot behind where all the food trucks parked.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:36 PM

112 posts, read 171,473 times
Default food truck park location

I find it ironic, but typical of Atlanta, that one must drive to get to the food truck park. It is not near a neighborhood, a MARTA stop, a bike path, or any concentration of people. The concept of a food truck, something that is mobile, is that it should come to you - not the other way around - right?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
I find it ironic, but typical of Atlanta, that one must drive to get to the food truck park. It is not near a neighborhood, a MARTA stop, a bike path, or any concentration of people. The concept of a food truck, something that is mobile, is that it should come to you - not the other way around - right?
I was going to say something similar. I'm glad these trucks can make a profit and employ some people, but the concept of a food truck park is sort of baffling to me.

I live in Cabbagetown and we have a food truck or two every Thursday night. Sometimes there's a food truck set up in Reynoldstown, too. I can easily walk to those, but I would never get in my car and drive to get a meal from a food truck. I'm curious to see the park and the setup, though.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
Yeah, we kind of thought the same thing, but I think the purpose is so people can get acquainted with the food trucks. They are usually at street locations throughout the city on other days.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
I drove by on a weekday, but the traffic was so bad that I couldn't find a place to park and decided it was not worth it. Really think it should be held somewhere that you can park, sit in shade of some sort and enjoy.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I drove by on a weekday, but the traffic was so bad that I couldn't find a place to park and decided it was not worth it. Really think it should be held somewhere that you can park, sit in shade of some sort and enjoy.
Exactly. On top of being a royal PITA to get in and out of (as is everything along that stretch of Howell Mill) who wants to sit in a stoned lot with no shade, with all that traffic only a few feet away- especially this time of year? They've started bringing a few of the trucks to the motor court at our building downtown (one a day a few days per week), and I've eaten at most of them. It's convenient, and easy to go back to the office to eat- but I wouldn't drive to get to them, and certainly wouldn't sit out there and eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: