Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 06:32 PM

150 posts, read 127,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
Thanks thanks thanks this is what I have been trying to tell This guy for the longest he only see black and white but fails to realize european and russians and german all look white and all blacks that look black doesnt mean there african american. My family is from barbados but if you saw us you would think we were african american. You cant go off eye site and skin color.
I know what you mean, but it still does not constitue for the lack of mainly Asians and Hispanics with in the city limits.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 PM

183 posts, read 230,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
I completely understand what you are saying.

The city of Atlanta is 94.5% black and white. I understand that the metro area probably has more diversity, but it probably still has less diversity than other big cities.

A city with a metro area of 5.7 million should not be 94.5% black and white, it shows very few cultures present within the city limits.

This shows in Atlanta neighbrhoods. Have you ever heard anyone say anyhting about Little Germany, Little Korea, LIttle Italy or Chinatown in Atlanta? No, you won't because those neighborhoods dont exist in Atlanta.
There not in THE CITY LIMITS CANT you please get that those neighborhoods are in other countys that make up ATLANTA. like gwinnett and Cobb they dont wanna live in the city proper itself thats why you see the 5.5 percent. Trust there are lot of ethinic nieghborhoods in the metro area dude you are still stuck on this city percent.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
But 94.5% of the 5.7 million is NOT black and white! How many times do we have to tell you?
I never said that it was. I said that it's 94.5% black and white within the city limits. How many times do I have to tell you?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
There not in THE CITY LIMITS CANT you please get that those neighborhoods are in other countys that make up ATLANTA. like gwinnett and Cobb they dont wanna live in the city proper itself thats why you see the 5.5 percent. Trust there are lot of ethinic nieghborhoods in the metro area dude you are still stuck on this city percent.
Really? There is ethnic neighbrhoods in Atlanta? Please, show me pictures of Little Itaaly and Chinatown. I would LOVE to see them.

You will never post these pics because those neighborhoods don't exist.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
I completely understand what you are saying.

The city of Atlanta is 94.5% black and white. I understand that the metro area probably has more diversity, but it probably still has less diversity than other big cities.

A city with a metro area of 5.7 million should not be 94.5% black and white, it shows very few cultures present within the city limits.

This shows in Atlanta neighbrhoods. Have you ever heard anyone say anyhting about Little Germany, Little Korea, LIttle Italy or Chinatown in Atlanta? No, you won't because those neighborhoods dont exist in Atlanta.
I'm going to assume you don't know much about history, but:

Places like NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago, and Detroit have places like a Little Italy or a Chinatown because they were the major port cities/industrial centers in the 19th and early 20th century. There was no such thing as suburbs at that time so most people lived in the city (this was every where including Atlanta). Those places also had de jure and sotto voce laws that said that those different ethnicities had to live in those areas. For instance, if you were Chinese and you moved to San Fran in 1900 you had no choice but to live in Chinatown. Even after this time had passed, people of those ethnicities still came together in those areas because thats where the power/support base was.

This is different from places like Atlanta that was primarily a black and white city during de jure segregation. It was an coincidence of history that Atlanta has seen its major population growth both foreign and domestic after this period was over. This means that people largely moved to the suburbs where housing was cheaper. Immigrants are no different from Americans, so they moved where they could afford to live. This is why you don't see Chinatowns and Little Italys in Atlanta.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 PM

183 posts, read 230,845 times
Quote:
I know what you mean, but it still does not constitue for the lack of mainly Asians and Hispanics with in the city limits.
Atlanta can not pick and choose were people wanna live if they dont wanna live in the city limits thats there decision. If All NYC diversity was elsewhere outside the city would you say NYC wasnt diverse? The only reason NYC is so High because the millions of people that live there. But when you Have a place like Atlanta and the city pop is only 530,000 and land area is about 150 sq miles your going to get small numbers if we expanded those borders then the numbers would increase. So If Atlanta isnt Diverse then D.C isnt Boston and quiet a few other areas. Those places suffer the same thing Atlanta does when it comes to racial makeups in the city proper.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Atlanta can not pick and choose were people wanna live if they dont wanna live in the city limits thats there decision. If All NYC diversity was elsewhere outside the city would you say NYC wasnt diverse? The only reason NYC is so High because the millions of people that live there. But when you Have a place like Atlanta and the city pop is only 530,000 and land area is about 150 sq miles your going to get small numbers if we expanded those borders then the numbers would increase. So If Atlanta isnt Diverse then D.C isnt Boston and quiet a few other areas. Those places suffer the same thing Atlanta does when it comes to racial makeups in the city proper.
But, you keep bouncing around my question.

You keep saying that Atlanta has more diversity outside of the city limits. But, you have not posted anything to PROVE that there is more diversity outside of the city limits. I looked for these numbers myself and can;ty find them. Metro area ehtnicites/races are very hard to find.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Really? There is ethnic neighbrhoods in Atlanta? Please, show me pictures of Little Itaaly and Chinatown. I would LOVE to see them.

You will never post these pics because those neighborhoods don't exist.
This is just a small sampling:

All of these places are in the Korean section of Buford Highway (it's really a street, not a highway). There is also a distinct Latino section in the southend of it, a Vietnamese/SE Asian section, and smattering of other places (muslim/eastern european/etc). This whole area literally right along the edge of the northeast section of the city proper. If you walk across the street you are in Atlanta, and on the other side is Buford going for about 10 miles through North Dekalb and Southern Gwinnett counties.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM

719 posts, read 1,698,052 times
Quote:
This shows in Atlanta neighborhoods. Have you ever heard anyone say anything about Little Germany, Little Korea, LIttle Italy or Chinatown in Atlanta? No, you won't because those neighborhoods dont exist in Atlanta.
You're wrong both in the spirit and the letter of what you're saying.

As for the 'letter': you're wrong on your data. Atlanta actually does have a Little Korea. It's the Buford Hwy corridor that leads from Chamblee into Gwinnett county and while it's certainly not equivalent to LA's Koreatown, the nation's largest concentration of Koreans, it is among the nation's largest such concentrations and certainly holds its own.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
This shows in Atlanta neighborhoods. Have you ever heard anyone say anything about Little Germany, Little Korea, LIttle Italy or Chinatown in Atlanta? No, you won't because those neighborhoods dont exist in Atlanta.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post10579659
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta