Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
WOW! Read the list and Charlotte, NC beat Atlanta with population.....Atlanta was #33 on the city population list....I am amazed! Learn something new all the time on this forum.
It also beats Boston, DC, Baltimore, Seattle and Miami since it's much larger in land area than all of those cities and Atlanta. Your point?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:04 PM

316 posts, read 655,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
We already have caught up with Houston metro wise. The only reason Houston has over 2 million people is because they have annex so much land. If Atlanta had city land area at 600 sq miles then it would be in the same pop with houston.
Quote:
Im going to open the case back up. If we look at the Total area city and metro Atlanta is 8th largest metro not far behind Houston . Check Houston city square miles and then check Atlantas and see why Houston has so many people in the city limits.

Dude you are talking to a guy who lives in Atlanta, and been to Houston and through it on about 20 different occasions.. You don't have to tell me that houston has more square miles. Im aware of that. I was just in Houston 3 weeks ago. I have drove to and from Houston on almost every occasion! I can take you to certain parts of Houston like I live there everyday!!! I don't have to read statistics.. Last time I went through Houston I was heading for McAllen Texas! It took me well over a hour to get through the city limits along with Baytown, ChannelView, Pasadena, and then SugarLand on the other side of town.. I know that Houston will Swallow Atlanta in size.. But mainly when this thread opened up it was about Houston VS Atlanta, not the areas around it.. If someone ask you about Atlanta, they are asking about the city itself, they don't care about Forest Park, Stockbridge, Newnan, Union city, Jonesboro, Austell, and other places.. Not to put these cities down because I live in one of them. We shouldn't even be talking about surrounding areas!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM

183 posts, read 230,845 times
Quote:
WOW! Read the list and Charlotte, NC beat Atlanta with population.....Atlanta was #33 on the city population list....I am amazed! Learn something new all the time on this forum.

Now city population doesnt show the true Size of a city. Atlanta city limits are very small thats why the pop is small same with Boston and Miami. You have to go by metro.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
Dude you are talking to a guy who lives in Atlanta, and been to Houston and through it on about 20 different occasions.. You don't have to tell me that houston has more square miles. Im aware of that. I was just in Houston 3 weeks ago. I have drove to and from Houston on almost every occasion! I can take you to certain parts of Houston like I live there everyday!!! I don't have to read statistics.. Last time I went through Houston I was heading for McAllen Texas! It took me well over a hour to get through the city limits along with Baytown, ChannelView, Pasadena, and then SugarLand on the other side of town.. I know that Houston will Swallow Atlanta in size.. But mainly when this thread opened up it was about Houston VS Atlanta, not the areas around it.. If someone ask you about Atlanta, they are asking about the city itself, they don't care about Forest Park, Stockbridge, Newnan, Union city, Jonesboro, Austell, and other places.. Not to put these cities down because I live in one of them. We shouldn't even be talking about surrounding areas!
\

DUDE you said Population not size!!!!! both metros are well over 5 million people dude!! Houston is Huge but when it comes to population there nearly the same!!!! Here in Atlanta people inn the area considered all the places on the outside Atlanta, who in the world is going to know where forest Park ga is!!!! You dont have too take me to Houston I already been there and threw there. I didnt see much of a difference. I know you dont like Atlanta and thats fine dude you dont have too.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Actually Texas was one of the states that I considered before I headed to the south....have visited many times. Coming from a very multicultural city I appreciate diversity and find Houston to be more diverse and has more to offer then Atlanta. I do not like segregated cities.
Yeah you are right, I never been to NYC but I have been to Houston plenty of times.. You see all kinds of people there. To me thats what make Houston a unique place! Seeing all types of diversity in one city! Its Amazing.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
\

DUDE you said Population not size!!!!! both metros are well over 5 million people dude!! Houston is Huge but when it comes to population there nearly the same!!!! Here in Atlanta people inn the area considered all the places on the outside Atlanta, who in the world is going to know where forest Park ga is!!!! You dont have too take me to Houston I already been there and threw there. I didnt see much of a difference. I know you dont like Atlanta and thats fine dude you dont have too.
It depends on how you look at it!! if you add in all the towns like forest park and the rest than the metro is huge, ill give you that but what I was saying was if you ask someone about chicago the city itself, then they will want to know about Chicago and Chicago only.. Thats all I was saying, Im not mad or anything. You are talking about the City and places around it, im talking about the City itself.. Theres no need for us to argue because we are on two different topics. and i brought up size because you had mentioned square miles in one of your previous statements above. but no big deal bro, im not trying to cause any friction or anything.. Just a general conversation !!!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It depends on how you look at it!! if you add in all the towns like forest park and the rest than the metro is huge, ill give you that but what I was saying was if you ask someone about chicago the city itself, then they will want to know about Chicago and Chicago only.. Thats all I was saying, Im not mad or anything. You are talking about the City and places around it, im talking about the City itself.. Theres no need for us to argue because we are on two different topics. and i brought up size because you had mentioned square miles in one of your previous statements above. but no big deal bro, im not trying to cause any friction or anything.. Just a general conversation !!!
And thats whats I am talking about city size. Miami city land area is smaller than Atlanta but does that make Miami small??? or does Atlanta dwaf them in size because of that?? No Houston is Huge because it got 600 square miles of city limits. Atlanta has only maybe 150 sqaure miles of city limits. Thats why Atlanta city its self is small. Now Imagine if Atlanta annexed as much land as Houston. They would be the same in City and land area meaning we would take citys like forest park jonesboro marietta. into our city population. Thats why you cant compare city propers. Boston Miami Atlanta all suffer from that small city pop and land area but Houston Boston Atlanta Miami all are the same pretty much the same . Im not trying to argue with you either man. Atlanta has 500,000 people but look at how big the city of Atlanta itsself is built up??? ( just as much as Houston almost) and do you know why that is? Its because of the Huge Metro Population. Thats why we in Atlanta dont go by the city pop because it doenst full represent Atlanta in size.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:46 PM

150 posts, read 127,404 times
Quote:
I don't understand why that term black mecca is still being used! I have been to many other cities around the country and have seen more blacks there then here in Atlanta. Here in Atlanta you have blacks, whites, asians, hispanics and other types of people. You don't have to live in Atlanta to to be successful as a black person.. You are given the opportunity in many other cities. Just because you leave Atlanta and live some else does not mean you that you can't be successful. The way the job market is here right now, im pretty sure all types of people are looking at other alternatives in other places... Especially for the young people like my self who are in college and don't have a job locked in. Who wants to spend 4 years in college or more and not come out and have a job! I have friends from other backgrounds who are willing to leave the state if necessary if they can't locate a job here in Atlanta once we graduate. My parents are doing great here, but that does not mean that I will thrive here. I may thrive somewhere else!
No, you don't.

According to the wikipedia page, Atlanta has 56.8% african americans and 37.7% whites. Therefore, that leaves 5.5% of the popuilation for all other races.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Kudos! Most of Atlanta's population came from NYC in the first place....many of the people who currently live in Atlanta were not born and raised there. NYC made Atlanta the city that it is today.....if all of those New Yorkers would not have taken an interest in Atlanta then more then likely it would not be the way it is today....in fact Atlanta would be like the rest of the south, still trying to play catch up! NYC is the largest city in the United States with over 8 million people living here and controls 40% of the worlds finances....Atlanta is a nice city that I enjoy visiting but it is nowhere near having that kind of world influence, money or power.

So your statement is right on point.
I completely agree. Not only nyc, but transplants from philly, boston, chicago, dc, la, san fran, etc.

Transplants made Atlanta what it is today.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well of course not...everyone knows that the crime and stds came from New Jersey.

But it was funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Thread title: "Who Wins?......Houston vs. Atlanta"
Then why are you bringing up New Jersey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta