Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 PM

8,491 posts, read 15,048,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Those pictures look like a strip mall.
That's because it is, its in the burbs. Are you trying to say though that a neighborhood is more "ethnic" because of the type of building it is in?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM

150 posts, read 128,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
These guys obviously haven't been here in the Metro Atlanta area toreally understand so why even bother? You are correct the City of Atlanta doesnt have a diverse population but like the other posters have been saying but the City of Atlanta only makes up 10% of the metro population and those other areas where most of the ethnic diversity exists is located immediately outside of the city but they work and play to a large extent in Atlanta as well as having their own neighborhoods which basically double as Koreatown, Chinatown, Vietnamese, Carribean, Brazilian, West African, East African, Latino enclaves throughout the 5 county metro area (Cobb/Fulton/Dekalb/Clayton/Gwinnett). Fulton County which is mostly City of Atlanta has the lease amount of ethnic diversity. But the other four counties is where most of the ethnic diversity lies.

The City of Atlanta has it's own flavorful neighborhoods in it's own right.
I have been to the Atlanta metro MANY times. On my visit it felt like a black and white city and metro area.

Today is the first time I have looked up the racial stats and the stats back up my oringal thoughts when visiting.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Ok, I think this person is beyond reasoning with.
Agreed. Typical-"If it's not exactly like how it is New York it doesn't count!"-syndrome

Old 12-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Your link is to a strip mall

Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Agreed. Typical-"If it's not exactly like how it is New York it doesn't count!"-syndrome
NO, not just NY. But, Boston, Chicago, DC, Philly, NYC, LA and San Fran.

Atlanta simply doesn't have diverse ethnic neighborhoods, it's black or white.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM

183 posts, read 231,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
But, you keep bouncing around my question.

You keep saying that Atlanta has more diversity outside of the city limits. But, you have not posted anything to PROVE that there is more diversity outside of the city limits. I looked for these numbers myself and can;ty find them. Metro area ehtnicites/races are very hard to find.

PLEASE READ THIS MAN !!

International Atlanta | Article from KNowAtlanta Magazine

Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
^ Are you serious?

That is NOT a chinatown neighborhood.

You posted pics of TWO strip malls with Chinese restaurants in them and a picture of a billboard with Chinese people on them.

There is not a Chinatown neighbrhood pesent in those pictures.
Go back and reread the posts. Atlanta doesn't have a Chinatown. We have one avenue that has an over abundance of non African-African and White-American oriented and owned businesses, but people live pretty integrated here.

By the way, the people depicted in that billboard are Korean. I'm sure you knew that from the Korean script to the right of their heads. My am I just awed by your superior "ethnic knowledge"

Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
NO, not just NY. But, Boston, Chicago, DC, Philly, NYC, LA and San Fran.

Atlanta simply doesn't have diverse ethnic neighborhoods, it's black or white.
You should really beef up on your history...

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM

719 posts, read 1,700,658 times
Quote:
Your link is to a strip mall
Look, the strip mall is the "Chinatown," don't you see?

I keep trying to get you to address my Los Angeles example for a reason: it's to get you to break out of your late 19th-early 20th century, mostly Northeastern (esp. New York) vision of what an ethnic enclave has to look like to be acknowledged.

By your reasoning, I can only assume you would have to think Los Angeles is a non-diverse city with no true ethnic neighborhoods, since actually only a rather small percentage of its current Chinese population (I think it now has one of the largest, if not the largest, outside China) lives in the old, traditional LA Chinatown, which is utter nonsense.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,918,822 times
Ok If your talking about the lack of ethnic neighborhoods I would have to agree with you...I think the Atlanta metro area has more commercial areas targeted towards ethnic enclaves but not necessarily residential/commercial neighborhoods. It's more of a drive in drive out type of situation because those areas don't have rail systems and are less pedestrian friendly and people live more intergrated here so you won't see the street level action you see in other areas. I do wish The City of Atlanta proper had more ethnic neighborhoods within them but that all has to do with history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta