Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 AM

183 posts, read 230,922 times

Advertisements

Since the 1990s, the number of immigrants from Latin America to the Atlanta metropolitan area has greatly increased. This flow of immigrants has brought new cultural and religious practices and affect the economy and demography of the urban area, resulting in vibrant Hispanic communities within the city. The addition of new immigrants such as Latinos and Asians is also altering city demographics, along with an influx of white residents

Atlanta, Georgia is the largest urban center in the southeastern US. Since the 1980s, the region has undergone profound social, cultural and demographic change. Before the region had two main ethnic groups: African American and European American (Dameron and Murphy 1997). In the 1970s and 1980s, over 10,000 migrants and refugees from Vietnam arrived in Atlanta, changing the ethnic make-up of the region, as well as political, economic and social relations (CARA 1996; Dameron and Murphy 1997). From 1980 to 1995, the Hispanic population of Georgia grew 130%. By 1996 there were 462,973 Hispanics in Georgia (Dameron and Murphy 1997). There are no figures on the number of Hispanics who are Mexican; estimates from centers that deal with Hispanics are that about 90% of Hispanics are Mexican. The numbers of Hispanics who are women is even more difficult to ascertain. Many Mexicans are undocumented, and women, even more so, which makes them even more difficult to count.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,879,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Are you angry because Atlanta lacks diversity and I proved it? Sorry, it's the truth, deal with it.
Atlanta doesn't lack diversity. I provided stats in a previous post that shows that 13.2% of metro Atlanta's population is foreign-born. Granted, that's not as much as some other similarly-sized metro areas like Miami or Houston, but Atlanta's also not at the bottom on that statistic either. At any rate, while I think ethnic diversity can really be a great thing, it's not necessary for a city to be great. Tokyo is pretty homogenous, yet it's the world's largest city and has the world's largest metro economy.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
So you're defining "diverse" as intermixing of races and ethnic groups across broad areas of the city/area, I assume.

Test case for you: guess you must not be too fond of the Bronx then, right? Since that wouldn't be especially "diverse", right? Or even a city like Chicago, which outside of Michigan Ave. and a few of the most public spaces tends to be known as one of the nation's most segregated cities.

Anyway, I've only been to Houston once so I can't really judge other than based on statistical figures I see (and based on that the only argument you can make that Houston is more "diverse" than Atlanta is based on its larger Latino population, which is an arguable point). All I know is that quite a few places I go to in Atlanta - enough for me to make a generalization about the city as a whole - are really quite diverse if by diverse you mean seeing a great inmixing of people of various ethnic groups speaking different languages (such as Spanish, Russian, and Chinese, just to name the ones I heard yesterday while in the Marietta TJMaxx).
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY most of my life but lived in the Bronx (Pelham Parkway Bronx Zoo) for a few years....then lived in another section of the Bronx (Dyre Ave.) for a few years.....then lived in Co-op city (biggest apartment cooperative in the US).......I love all of NYC! Work in Manhattan and the beauty of NYC is that every area has it's own style and flavor....this city is old and has been settled since 1624 so it has tons of history. Very hard to put into words what is so special about this city.

Never understood why it is that when someone shares their view or opinion about a city the residents of those cities become insulted and believe it is their obligation to change someone else's opinion! Did not say that I do not like Atlanta just for this particular comparison I like Houston better.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 AM

719 posts, read 1,698,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY most of my life but lived in the Bronx (Pelham Parkway Bronx Zoo) for a few years....then lived in another section of the Bronx (Dyre Ave.) for a few years.....then lived in Co-op city (biggest apartment cooperative in the US).......I love all of NYC! Work in Manhattan and the beauty of NYC is that every area has it's own style and flavor....this city is old and has been settled since 1624 so it has tons of history. Very hard to put into words what is so special about this city.

Never understood why it is that when someone shares their view or opinion about a city the residents of those cities become insulted and believe it is their obligation to change someone else's opinion! Did not say that I do not like Atlanta just for this particular comparison I like Houston better.
" ... this city is old and has been settled since 1624 so it has tons of history."

True, for a new world city that is. Sorry to be so picky, but compared to London, New York is still in nappies. But don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion and completely share your love of New York City. Sorry if my vehemence comes across as anger. I'm not angry that you prefer Houston to Atlanta, but I just honestly enjoy a spirited debate over perceptions of cities (see my battle above with the incorrigible BXNYC), particularly misunderstood ones such as my hometown Atlanta. No offense taken if you simply like one over the other. I might prefer London over New York, but it doesn't mean I don't love New York too.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
" ... this city is old and has been settled since 1624 so it has tons of history."

True, for a new world city that is. Sorry to be so picky, but compared to London, New York is still in nappies. But don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion and completely share your love of New York City. Sorry if my vehemence comes across as anger. I'm not angry that you prefer Houston to Atlanta, but I just honestly enjoy a spirited debate over perceptions of cities (see my battle above with the incorrigible BXNYC), particularly misunderstood ones such as my hometown Atlanta. No offense taken if you simply like one over the other. I might prefer London over New York, but it doesn't mean I don't love New York too.
No offense taken. London is nice but has absolutely nothing on NYC.....should also mention that no city in the world has anything on NYC. Have visited a lot of places and none have been even close. I really do not think that there will ever (at least in my lifetime) be a city as special as NYC.

This point has been proven in a recent Time Out magazine survey on the worlds best city in which of course NYC won and a recent CNBC news article declaring NYC beat London as the worlds best city! Notice that NYC is the only city in the US that was not only in the running...but actually WON......Atlanta is a long, long, long way from that honor if it ever happens at all.

OH REALLY, SO YOU SAY YOU LIKE LONDON MORE THEN NEW YORK CITY HUH!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32797547 CLICK THIS LINK TO READ THE ARTICLE ON THE CNBC WEBSITE.

Here is the CNBC article which can also be read on Stock Market News, Business News, Financial, Earnings, World Market News and Information - CNBC.com

New York Beats London as 'World's Best City'
By: CNBC.com | 11 Sep 2009 | 10:04 AM ET
NEW YORK CITY, LONDON, PARIS, BARCELONA, CHICAGO, TOKYO, WORLD'S BEST CITY, WORLD'S BEST CITIES, TIME OUT, TOP, LIST, CITY BUZZ, FOOD, DRINK, RESTAURANTS, THEATRES, ART GALLERIES, CULTURE, ARCHITECTURE

New York City beat London by a whisker to become the best city in the world according to a panel of Time Out judges, who voted on the cities considering criteria such as architecture, arts, food and drink, the city's buzz and quality of life.

"New York is number one but only just, with London following close behind," Jessica Cargill-Thompson, editor of the Time Out book 'The World's Greatest Cities', told CNBC.

"Financially they're both very strong, obviously they've taken some knocks but they're still very strong," she said.

They both have great culture, not just theatres and exhibitions but also street culture, which makes a city vibrant, and they both have very good places to eat and drink, according to Cargill-Thompson.

"New York came out on top because we felt that its 24-hour culture really is something that London just doesn't compete with. Everyone is on their way home at 11," she said.

Paris was third on the list followed by Berlin. Barcelona, Chicago and Tokyo all shared the fifth place.

More CNBC Top Stories
*1**HOME / TOP STORIES

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 12-03-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM

719 posts, read 1,698,547 times
Quote:
No offense taken. London is nice but has absolutely nothing on NYC.....should also mention that no city in the world has anything on NYC. Have visited a lot of places and none have been even close. I really do not think that there will ever (at least in my lifetime) be a city as special as NYC.

This point has been proven in a recent Time Out magazine survey on the worlds best city in which of course NYC won and a recent CNBC news article declaring NYC beat London as the worlds best city! Notice that NYC is the only city in the US that was not only in the running...but actually WON......Atlanta is a long, long, long way from that honor if it ever happens at all.

Here is the CNBC article which can also be read on Stock Market News, Business News, Financial, Earnings, World Market News and Information - CNBC.com

NEW YORK CITY, LONDON, PARIS, BARCELONA, CHICAGO, TOKYO, WORLD'S BEST CITY, WORLD'S BEST CITIES, TIME OUT, TOP, LIST, CITY BUZZ, FOOD, DRINK, RESTAURANTS, THEATRES, ART GALLERIES, CULTURE, ARCHITECTURE
New York City beat London by a whisker to become the best city in the world according to a panel of Time Out judges, who voted on the cities considering criteria such as architecture, arts, food and drink, the city's buzz and quality of life.

"New York is number one but only just, with London following close behind," Jessica Cargill-Thompson, editor of the Time Out book 'The World's Greatest Cities', told CNBC.

"Financially they're both very strong, obviously they've taken some knocks but they're still very strong," she said.

They both have great culture, not just theatres and exhibitions but also street culture, which makes a city vibrant, and they both have very good places to eat and drink, according to Cargill-Thompson.

"New York came out on top because we felt that its 24-hour culture really is something that London just doesn't compete with. Everyone is on their way home at 11," she said.

Paris was third on the list followed by Berlin. Barcelona, Chicago and Tokyo all shared the fifth place.

More CNBC Top Stories
*1**HOME / TOP STORIES
Though I have a weakness for London personally (old world charms and nuances that New York simply can't match because it's a relatively new arrival on the scene), I would agree. You can't match New York because it is the capital of modernity (whatever modernity may be, we don't know for sure yet, it's evolving, but whatever it is, New York is its capital and will remain that until something comes along and knocks it off its perch).

As for Atlanta, the comparison is simply ridiculous and I don't know of anyone who would even think it could be included in such a comparison.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 AM

I thinks London is so much better than NYC myself NY is so over rated its ridiculous I think Hong Kong its alot better too myself

Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM

23,475 posts, read 44,128,490 times
Quote:
It's called sarcasm.....I know how to spell cannot!
Some people just do not get it!
So true, and thank you for repeatedly proving the point on this thread.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,879,661 times
Quote:

OH REALLY, SO YOU SAY YOU LIKE LONDON MORE THEN NEW YORK CITY HUH!

New York Beats London as 'World's Best City' - CNBC CLICK THIS LINK TO READ THE ARTICLE ON THE CNBC WEBSITE.

More CNBC Top Stories
*1**HOME / TOP STORIES
It's interesting that you say, "London is nice but has absolutely nothing on NYC.....should also mention that no city in the world has anything on NYC" but then quote an article that says, "New York City beat London by a whisker to become the best city in the world...'New York is number one but only just, with London following close behind.'" I haven't been to London so I can't speak for it, but it doesn't seem like London beats out NYC by miles and miles as you are suggesting. But I understand it's your home, so you have a natural bias.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 PM

[quote=NewYorkBorn;11873320]The word is think..... not "I thinks London is so much better".
The word is overrated......not "over rated".
The appropriate word should be is......not "I think Hong Kong its alot better".

The next time you decide to chime into someone else's debate in an attempt to start an argument........please make sure that your grammar and spelling are correct. That is what I call ridiculous and overrated.....trying to be nasty and can not even spell!

Hilarious, have to love the southern culture! [/quote

Im sorry you took my opinion as being nasty. I still think London is better than NYC. You are so infatuated with NYC .... Personally I would not wanna live in a over grown rat infested crumbly city. Train stations smelling like 100 year old ****, people paying 1200 to live in basement. Southern culture I love it , and the people up North love it too, thats why they are moving here in droves. Another thing, dont try to correct me on here with my sentences this is a forum not English 101 As long as you get what I am saying then thats all that matters GOT ME !!! . Now baby if you want me to get nasty I can!!!!!!!

YANKEES!!!! always thinking they are superior to everyone thats not from there LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta