Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM

236 posts, read 698,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Other metro areas are investing in their transportation systems, if we don't start now we will be left behind.
Bit overly dramatic?

You imply we're not investing in our transportation system...how much is enough? Do you really believe that we'll be 'left behind' if we don't invest more? What if the economy continues to stumble and we don't 'leave behind' our peer cities? Will we need another 1% since the first one didn't fix the problem?

There is no end to this logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
So what should Atlanta do? Sit back and hope what's been working continues to work in the future? What ON EARTH is wrong with improving what we've got? I don't understand that logic.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Most of you don't associate with educated liberals, and instead associate mostly with people who love their trucks and BMWs. So of course you wont see how our transportation would keep smart people away.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM

236 posts, read 698,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
So what should Atlanta do? Sit back and hope what's been working continues to work in the future? What ON EARTH is wrong with improving what we've got? I don't understand that logic.
Absolutely nothing wrong improving what we we've got, but do we really need to do it with a sales tax?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
People are stupid. 200 people move here each day. People complain about traffic all the time and some people think the little green man from Mars is going to come fly over Atlanta and fix our traffic problems for free. This is what I do not understand…..

- The people that are against the tax that live way OTP have the longest commutes. They spend the most time in their cars driving ITP for work, entertainment, etc but they do not want to spend additional money to help their commute but those same people will buy a SUV and clog up our roads daily. The traffic is not going to go away. It's not like 5 million people in Metro Atlanta are going to move to another city to free up the traffic.
The people complaining the most about the tax are the main people that cause traffic in Metro Atlanta. Look at a traffic map at 5pm and look at how much of red that you see in the suburbs.

- People will pay their car note, insurance, gas money, etc for a car for transportation because they do not want to walk. They probably pay on average about $600 a month total to operate their car per month. This transportation vote is cost the average person $200 per year. If they are willing to pay $600 x 12= $7200 a year for a car but they do not want to spend an additional $200 to help improve their commute in the car that they are paying for?

- You got people saying "huh, is there another way to pay for it" SMH. It took Atlanta 100+ years to finally agree to this vote. You do really want to wait another 100+ years for another vote?

I just dont understand people. Maybe is me?? I go to work early so traffic isn't a problem for me. If I choose to work later all the people in the suburbs will be clogging up 85 and my 20 min commute will turn into a hour commute if I leave out at 8am. IMO, people are either just dumb or cheap. They need to look at how this will benefit our region version their neighborhood. I pay taxes that I dont think I should pay for but I know it will help our region. I don't have any kids. I don't think my tax $$$ should support the school system because I dont have any kids but I know that if everybody without kids stop paying taxes it would hurt everybody. I could go on and on but you get the picture

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 07-10-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
People are stupid. 200 people move here each day. People complain about traffic all the time and some people think the little green man from Mars is going to come fly over Atlanta and fix our traffic problems for free.
200 people a day? If that is the case then why did we going go up to 5.2million people after 10 years.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
200 people a day? If that is the case then why did we going go up to 5.2million people after 10 years.
Atlanta the seventh-fastest growing metro - Atlanta Business Chronicle

You have to ask the author of this article that question

Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
People are stupid.
Fine. And this moron voted NO, so live with it.

Quote:
The people that are against the tax that live way OTP have the longest commutes. They spend the most time in their cars driving ITP for work, entertainment, etc but they do not want to spend additional money to help their commute but those same people will buy a SUV and clog up our roads daily. The traffic is not going to go away. It's not like 5 million people in Metro Atlanta are going to move to another city to free up the traffic.

The people complaining the most about the tax are the main people that cause traffic in Metro Atlanta. Look at a traffic map at 5pm and look at how much of red that you see in the suburbs.
WRONG...so stop with the stupid generalizations and stereotyping. I don't drive an SUV, don't commute, and I don't sit in traffic. When I do drive to my office in Alpharetta, at rush hour, I hit absolutely ZERO traffic. Many of the people I work with are in exactly the same situation and live in Cobb, Forsyth, Cherokee, or north Fulton.

Most suburban residents do NOT sit on the highways trying to get to downtown Atlanta. The minority who does knew what they were in for, and made their choice.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Fine, but if it passes we don't wanna hear complaining from you.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

WRONG...so stop with the stupid generalizations and stereotyping. I don't drive an SUV, don't commute, and I don't sit in traffic. When I do drive to my office in Alpharetta, at rush hour, I hit absolutely ZERO traffic. Many of the people I work with are in exactly the same situation and live in Cobb, Forsyth, Cherokee, or north Fulton.

Most suburban residents do NOT sit on the highways trying to get to downtown Atlanta. The minority who does knew what they were in for, and made their choice.
Ride 85 south at 8 in the morning at druid hills and see how many gwinnett tags that are on the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta