Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
How on earth do you expect for us to have new roads, repair bridges, and create sidewalks without additional tax revenue?

I could understand the anti-tax sentiment if someone, anyone would explain how we're magically going to maintain and build needed infrastructure for our population.

There is no *profit* in certain aspects of civilization, like clean water and basic transit needs (car, bus, train, etc.) So we can't depend on corporations to just altruistically do this stuff for us.

I don't love this tax, and I'd vote against it if I could see a single better proposal out there. But nobody, especially the likes of the Tea Party, has bothered to put together a real alternative.
When does it end though? At what point will politicians start using the revenue they have wisely?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
+++

The interchange you refer to is functioning just fine. I use it often.
The worst delay I've ever encountered there was caused by an accident that would have caused a delay no matter what.
I have to disagree about the 85/285 interchange.

First off, it does have some good bones, but it also has a big problem.

The money allotted for this interchange won't rebuild it (like the money 285/400 interchange), it will merely upgrade and redesign a segment of it... particularly the parts leading to the larger existing ramps.

The key problem is when the interchange was designed most people were driving downtown, however nowadays there is an almost equal amount of people going west onto 285. For cars going east onto 285 and then north onto 85 there is limited flow/access onto 85 and there is a bunch of merging going over a small stretch to access some of the local roads nearby.

This project will redesign those exits to local roads to not affect or create merging for cars moving from 285 to 85. It will also redesign how those cars from 285 merge onto 85.

This is a really good project. It doesn't add lanes, but it adjusts how those lanes are used so the traffic can keep a better flow.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I have to disagree about the 85/285 interchange.

First off, it does have some good bones, but it also has a big problem.

The money allotted for this interchange won't rebuild it (like the money 285/400 interchange), it will merely upgrade and redesign a segment of it... particularly the parts leading to the larger existing ramps.

The key problem is when the interchange was designed most people were driving downtown, however nowadays there is an almost equal amount of people going west onto 285. For cars going east onto 285 and then north onto 85 there is limited flow/access onto 85 and there is a bunch of merging going over a small stretch to access some of the local roads nearby.

This project will redesign those exits to local roads to not affect or create merging for cars moving from 285 to 85. It will also redesign how those cars from 285 merge onto 85.

This is a really good project. It doesn't add lanes, but it adjusts how those lanes are used so the traffic can keep a better flow.
The project will create braided ramps to separate traffic going to 285 from westbound 85. That way traffic wanting to transition to 285 will not have to deal with local merging traffic onto 85.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The project will create braided ramps to separate traffic going to 285 from westbound 85. That way traffic wanting to transition to 285 will not have to deal with local merging traffic onto 85.
I think you are getting your highways and directions mixed up.

This is from the project fact sheet "The preliminary concept involves rerouting the northbound exit ramps to Northcrest Road / Pleasantdale Road and improving operations on the ramps from I‐285 to I‐85 northbound."

This is definitely a project focusing on traffic moving from 285 onto 85 north.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I think you are getting your highways and directions mixed up.

This is from the project fact sheet "The preliminary concept involves rerouting the northbound exit ramps to Northcrest Road / Pleasantdale Road and improving operations on the ramps from I‐285 to I‐85 northbound."

This is definitely a project focusing on traffic moving from 285 onto 85 north.
I have never driven thru there, so I might have gotten the directions mixed. Thanks for the correction.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,725 times
Like I said, I live and work in Gwinnett. Not in DeKalb.
If commuters need to use that portion of the road and are dissatisfied with it then they should move to whatever county they are commuting to or use transit or van pools.
Or here's an idea, maybe we can stop building freeways in Iraq and Afganistan and use that money to build them here.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I live and work in Gwinnett. Not in DeKalb.
If commuters need to use that portion of the road and are dissatisfied with it then they should move to whatever county they are commuting to or use transit or van pools.
Or here's an idea, maybe we can stop building freeways in Iraq and Afganistan and use that money to build them here.
Typical selfish thoughts, "If it doesn't positively help me then I do not want it." What about caring for your fellow man or helping the whole metro area? You need to get over your selfishness.
I agree about building in war zones. Hell let's cut the military in 1/3 and make them accountable for their spending. We spend more than the next 8 military's combined.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM

23,469 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
When does it end though? At what point will politicians start using the revenue they have wisely?
Especially considering their history of lying to our faces about this. Enough is enough.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Especially considering their history of lying to our faces about this. Enough is enough.
Vote them out then. That's the only way to keep politicians accountable.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
sarcasm ...
lol, sorry I stopped reading when I got to that. Should have read the whole post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta