Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Someone passed out fliers under all the doors in my complex yesterday that said "A Yes Vote on July 31 raises your sales tax 15%. Vote No. Keep more of your money from the 1%"
What a joke, Atlanta's tax would be 9%, still behind Birmingham and Montgomery. And the sewer tax is set to expire in 2016 so that will lower it to 8%. Where do these people come up with 15%?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What a joke, Atlanta's tax would be 9%, still behind Birmingham and Montgomery. And the sewer tax is set to expire in 2016 so that will lower it to 8%. Where do these people come up with 15%?
They're saying that it's being increased by 15%, not to 15%. It's actually a 13% increase if it goes from 8% to 9%, but the 15% number is a little "rounder".

Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
They're saying that it's being increased by 15%, not to 15%. It's actually a 13% increase if it goes from 8% to 9%, but the 15% number is a little "rounder".
Either way its still a 1% sales tax. That's just a way to make it sounder scarier than it truly is. Its still lower than Alabama. But 9% is something you won't have to worry about, Bob, since you don't live in Atlanta.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Surely even you will acknowledge that it's sleazy trickery to state it that way.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Surely even you will acknowledge that it's sleazy trickery to state it that way.
Perhaps if it was written solely as "A Yes Vote on July 31 raises your sales tax 15%. Vote No", but seeing how the flyer supposedly said "A Yes Vote on July 31 raises your sales tax 15%. Vote No. Keep more of your money from the 1%", they are acknowledging that it's a 1% increase that raises the total sales tax approximately 15%.

Or are you thinking the last sentence is referencing "the 1%" that the Occupy crowd is rallying against???

Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Perhaps if it was written solely as "A Yes Vote on July 31 raises your sales tax 15%. Vote No", but seeing how the flyer supposedly said "A Yes Vote on July 31 raises your sales tax 15%. Vote No. Keep more of your money from the 1%", they are acknowledging that it's a 1% increase that raises the total sales tax approximately 15%.

Or are you thinking the last sentence is referencing "the 1%" that the Occupy crowd is rallying against???
Could be. Actually, I'm sure whoever came up with that wording hoped at least some people would see "1%" and make that connotation. That would be extremely smart (but still sleazy) on their part.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,349 times
Like many non presidential election cycles - this will probably come down to who gets out the vote the most. Most working age adults will be. Or, according to the plethora of TV ads, stuck in traffic so they won't make it back from commuting in time. Senior citizens are usually anti-tax, due to their fixed income, and have plenty of time to make it to the pools. Young people won't care enough - so with two weeks out - I predict failure. I'll be happy regardless of outcome to turn on the TV Aug 1 and not have to switch the channel/watch another duct tape commercial. That ad agency should be fired.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Like many non presidential election cycles - this will probably come down to who gets out the vote the most. Most working age adults will be. Or, according to the plethora of TV ads, stuck in traffic so they won't make it back from commuting in time. Senior citizens are usually anti-tax, due to their fixed income, and have plenty of time to make it to the pools. Young people won't care enough - so with two weeks out - I predict failure. I'll be happy regardless of outcome to turn on the TV Aug 1 and not have to switch the channel/watch another duct tape commercial. That ad agency should be fired.
Really though, folks have done a horrible job when it comes to outreach for this thing. I spoke with my mother yesterday about whether or not she was going to vote for it, and she had just heard about this bill a day before I called her. Also, except for folks who are into urban planning issues, I haven't heard anyone between the ages of 18-30 talking about this referendum.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I do not understand why we have ANY elections on workdays. Just stupid imo. The state workers should be willing to work a few Saturdays a year so more people can participate in their representative government.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I do not understand why we have ANY elections on workdays. Just stupid imo. The state workers should be willing to work a few Saturdays a year so more people can participate in their representative government.
You can early vote this Saturday in most counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta