Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM

396 posts, read 601,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I am really not understanding why this debate is so heated. Chances are it may not even pass & then they will propose a new one.
speaking as someone who has been following this for a long time now (member of a similar, different site, for 10y now) these opportunities come up once in a blue moon. ga's legislature has been putting off a transportation fix for almost 2 decades now, and they finally (and begrudgingly) came up with this, which is honestly just passing the buck onto us anyway. if we turn it down, they aren't going to give us another chance any time soon. they're just going to take it as a sign that we're fine with the status quo.

we're so quick to forget just how much worse traffic was when we actually had a good economy just 5 years ago...

Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,349 times
If we turn it down, that means the majority is fine with the status quo.

If we pass it, that means the majority is not fine with the status quo.

This isn't rocket science =)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
If we turn it down, that means the majority is fine with the status quo.

If we pass it, that means the majority is not fine with the status quo.
I would disagree. If we turn down this plan, it means the majority isn't satisfied with this plan and doesn't believe this plan is the correct plan to solve the problem. This is actually true on both ends of the spectrum, as the Sierra Club is opposing the plan on the grounds that it doesn't provide enough transit and provides for too many roads.

If I didn't vote for a proposal to make it mandatory to arm every citizen with a gun as a means to combat crime, would that mean I support crime and the status quo?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Clearly, the Sierra Club is letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. They shouldn't be listened to in this case, since their favored plan would be laughed out of the capitol if anyone even so much as whispered it.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Clearly, the Sierra Club is letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Perhaps, but it doesn't necessarily mean they support the status quo, which was my point to rebut the post I quoted. I would also disagree with you on the definition of "good" in this case, but I've made that point "ad nauseum" previously.

From all indications, this TSPLOST is DOA, and I think the pandering from Deal today on the GA 400 tolls and the latest remarks from Reed both smack of desperation. I'm predicting 55% vote "NO" and that majority will carry through Fulton and Dekalb counties as well. This will not be a bunch of "stupid rednecks" in the sticks of Cobb or Gwinnett who kill it. It will be a cross section of voters in all counties.

Maybe I'll be wrong. We'll see in a couple of weeks. I voted and am tuning out of this for now.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I am really not understanding why this debate is so heated. Chances are it may not even pass & then they will propose a new one.
Because as of a couple years ago, our infrastructure has become a political issue.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
From all indications, this TSPLOST is DOA, and I think the pandering from Deal today on the GA 400 tolls and the latest remarks from Reed both smack of desperation.
Reed is throwing his full support behind the Transportation Referendum because he knows most politicians are too chicken to pledge support with elections coming up.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:00 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
I was listening to some of the talk radio guys on the way home from work while sitting in traffic, the passion people have on both ends is very interesting. Although it seems way more about politics than people just trying to raise the QOL. The side that likes traffic & hate mass transit seems to be the loudest.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
The side that likes traffic & hate mass transit seems to be the loudest.
Ignorance is always the loudest.
Quote:
I was listening to some of the talk radio guys on the way home from work while sitting in traffic
See vote Yes on July 31st and that can change.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Because as of a couple years ago, our infrastructure has become a political issue.
word? Man Marta was one of the biggest factor for me moving to Atlanta over Houston &Miami. I had no clue you all had this much drama & in fighting for something that is supossed to HELP the city be a better place. In the 4 yrs I've been in Atlanta, I've learn a lot about this place that is kinda backwards. Taxes are suppose to serve everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta