Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times

Advertisements

Since I dont have any kids could my tax $$$ that is going to the school system go to transportation instead?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 PM

369 posts, read 657,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Since I dont have any kids could my tax $$$ that is going to the school system go to transportation instead?

This is not said often enough.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
This is not said often enough.
Im just saying, if they really wanted to stop taxing the middle class and the poor they would only let people that have kids pay taxes that go to fund schools

Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM

369 posts, read 657,605 times
Quote:
Im just saying, if they really wanted to stop taxing the middle class and the poor they would only let people that have kids pay taxes that go to fund schools
It only "makes sense" to say such things when rail is involved. Ironically you have a better idea where the money goes when it comes to building public transportation than with schools, transit rail is also a better direct economic development creator (mixed-use, quality, instead of suburban subdivisions that use more than they put in) and doesn't take half the County budget like in some areas.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Once you reach 62, or thereabouts, you don't have to pay the school portion of your property taxes at all in Cobb.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Maybe everybody doesn't read the news or watch TV every day. Sure, the meetings have been going on for a couple of years, but the part about having to vote on it just came up.

It used to be that people in Cobb could trust their elected officials, and many folks probably felt that the Chamber of Commerce wouldn't be pushing this if it wasn't good for Cobb County. So it's easy to understand why they feel tomahawked by this sudden need to vote.
That's a poor excuse. So because people are not connected to the world and know what's going on in their community

Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So he is suggesting that Cobb vote this down and do its own TSPLOST at some point in the future?
Yes, and for all the reasons that I (and others) have articulated here in this and other threads.

Cobb has had a SPLOST dedicated to transportation for a few years now which was just renewed. Projects like the Macland Rd extension, Barrett Pkwy and Roswell Rd widening are currently being funded from the SPLOST, along with many other smaller projects like bridge repairs/replacement and road paving. We get more bang for the buck for our own tax revenue here in Cobb without the political downside, and many of the projects proposed for Cobb would/could be in the next transportation SPLOST.

The author also touches on the transformation of the TSPLOST from a solution for transportation issues into an economic stimulus plan and the scare tactics at work; he touches on the non-budgeted operations and maintenance costs that no one speaks about; he touches on the suburb bashing and name calling from some proponents; he touches on the special interests and the poor leadership from politicians. All of these things add up to a reason to vote no.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 AM

30 posts, read 67,409 times
voting NO today at the east Cobb annex

Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 AM

30 posts, read 67,409 times
Traffic truth .net ... go read make up your mind

Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Just looked at that site, and this quote on the homepage is very true.

“ Proponents are campaigning hard. Unfortunately, the plan barely translates into improved regional mobility. Operating in an if-you-build-it-they-will-come fugue, regional leaders allocate more than half the expected funds to expensive transit projects, most of which would not offer congestion relief within 10 years, if ever. ”

— Benita Dodd, VP, The Georgia Public Policy Foundation

The facts about how this collection of projects will actually reduce congestion is inadequate to say the least. You look at the bulk of the money proposed to be spent in Cobb County, and it's the $600 million express bus to Acworth which by the plan's own schedule isn't due to be complete until 10 years from now. I'm waiting for someone to tell me how many cars it will take off of which roads, and what the anticipated ridership will be. I'm a pilot, but I'm also waiting to understand how building a new ATC tower at McCollum Airport reduces anyone's commute.

To me, the opportunity cost of spending that money in that way as opposed to other ways within the county is one reason I'm opposed to this plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta