Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 AM

160 posts, read 600,962 times

Advertisements

Atlantagreg, Come on....Don't quote me and then say Black people have problems with Hispanic people. That is not generally true. We've done this before in other threads, you can't generalize such specific instances onto a whole race of people. It seems to be a little alarmist to tell someone who is moving to an area with such a large proportion of African-Americans that we're going to have problems with her because of her ethnicity. If anyone has sympathy for the way foreigners are treated in this country it's us. It wasn't that long ago that we were blamed for all of society's problems now it's convenient to place them on someone else, but most of us know that Americans are very fickle and the tide changes quite easily. Those 'far out burbs' are places we're not neccessarily welcomed either. So... in summary I completely disagree with your statement that resentment is more harsh from the Black community. If anything it makes me sad that Mexicans specifically have simply replaced our status as the workhorses and the country hasn't learned much about how to treat people of color fairly. Please, being a "top minority" does still not =white. Mexicans may outnumber American workers (Black or White) on construction work crews becuase the OWNERS are taking advantage of people who are trying to work hard and are willing to work for substandard wages. The ignoramus you're talking about doesn't understand the economic forces and is falling into the trap of being pitted against the Hispanic workers becuase it keeps them busy hating them and not thinking about how they are all being taken advantage of while the owners getting rich off each of them.
I don't realistically think someone of a certain age is going to learn English or want to. I don't think my grandmother is going to pick French if we move there. It's lot easier for younger people. Immersion is a much better way to pick up words and phrases for that situation than sitting an elderly woman in a classroom.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:30 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
If I am not mistaken, she asked about "good" Hispanic neighborhoods. These areas that you have mentioned are all high crime areas, and not what I would consider "good."
You're right. However, I was merely suggesting to her where the largest concentration of Hispanic households and businesses are located in the Metro Area. Some of the places that I listed do have nicer working-class neighborhoods. They're no Windward, but they're no Bowen Homes as well.

Also, she should be aware of where some of these places are for convenience.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
Atlantagreg, Come on....Don't quote me and then say Black people have problems with Hispanic people. That is not generally true. We've done this before in other threads, you can't generalize such specific instances onto a whole race of people. It seems to be a little alarmist to tell someone who is moving to an area with such a large proportion of African-Americans that we're going to have problems with her because of her ethnicity. If anyone has sympathy for the way foreigners are treated in this country it's us. It wasn't that long ago that we were blamed for all of society's problems now it's convenient to place them on someone else, but most of us know that Americans are very fickle and the tide changes quite easily. Those 'far out burbs' are places we're not neccessarily welcomed either. So... in summary I completely disagree with your statement that resentment is more harsh from the Black community. If anything it makes me sad that Mexicans specifically have simply replaced our status as the workhorses and the country hasn't learned much about how to treat people of color fairly. Please, being a "top minority" does still not =white. Mexicans may outnumber American workers (Black or White) on construction work crews becuase the OWNERS are taking advantage of people who are trying to work hard and are willing to work for substandard wages. The ignoramus you're talking about doesn't understand the economic forces and is falling into the trap of being pitted against the Hispanic workers becuase it keeps them busy hating them and not thinking about how they are all being taken advantage of while the owners getting rich off each of them.
I don't realistically think someone of a certain age is going to learn English or want to. I don't think my grandmother is going to pick French if we move there. It's lot easier for younger people. Immersion is a much better way to pick up words and phrases for that situation than sitting an elderly woman in a classroom.
Exactly. I don't see too many black folks signing up to be Minutemen.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 AM

180 posts, read 267,875 times
The areas mentioned above are not "high-crime" areas, and they aren't neighborhoods. They are broad and general sections of town that contain lots of separate neighborhoods of various income and crime levels.

Someone seeking information on neighborhoods in Atlanta needs to understand that many people will describe large sections of Atlanta as entirely one way or another. The places mentioned in south-to-west's post were:

Gwinnett County - the largest county in metro Atlanta with areas ranging from urban to suburban to rural; the county has the largest Latino and Asian populations in Georgia (17.1% Hispanic). There are a wide range of neighborhoods in Gwinnett County...you would really need to look more closely at the ones you are interested in. Some of the cities and towns in Gwinnett: Lawrenceville, Dacula, Duluth, Norcross, Buford, Brasleton, Lilburn, Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Loganville, Mountain Park, Peachtree Corners, Berkeley Lake, Snellville, Grayson, Auburn. Each one of these has a variety of neighborhoods that you might find interesting.

Windy Hill corridor in Smyrna - same as above...lots of separate neighborhoods and large apartment complexes. Smyrna: population 40,999; 13.8% Hispanic; median income $47,572; 8.9% living below the poverty line. More info: www.ci.smyrna.ga.us

Southeast Atlanta - some neighborhoods are Grant Park, East Atlanta, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood, Peoplestown...I love this area, but some people would describe it as "dangerous". These neighborhoods have been gentrifying for several years and have developed into great urban centers with a mix of historic old homes and infill construction (lofts, apartments, condos, houses). You will definitely find diversity and acceptance here.

City of Chamblee - population 9,552; 57% Hispanic; median income $46,992; 15.8% living below the poverty line; served by the Chamblee MARTA station. More info...Welcome to the City of Chamblee, GA

City of Doraville - population 9,862; 43% Hispanic; median income $40,664; 15.3% living below the poverty line; served by the Doraville MARTA station. More info...City of Doraville

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
Atlantagreg, Come on....Don't quote me and then say Black people have problems with Hispanic people. That is not generally true. ... you can't generalize such specific instances onto a whole race of people.
I work in a construction related field. As well, I've been helping a friend juggle subcontractors at his garage project. I can assure you, though you conveniently added that I said "all black people have a problem" (which I did NOT), that SOME black people, and especially many in the construction related fields, DO have issues with Hispanics, specifically Mexican laborers, coming into the construction business. This new family is moving into a completely unfamiliar area, one that has a very large number of black-owned business and construction business owners. Perhaps a member of the family (husband? son? daughter even - it's 2007) is in that field? They should be aware of the climate. I could spend a month constantly typing comments that I hear black crewmen say about Mexicans - provided I could use the language here (which I cannot). In no way did I say or does this mean that "every black person" has a problem with all Hispanics. That is not what was said. Reading is fundamental.

Since the ability to read what is actually typed seems to be compromised, and the general question has been answered, I'm putting in for this thread to be locked. We can all Kum-ba-yah elsewhere.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-02-2007 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
The areas mentioned above are not "high-crime" areas, and they aren't neighborhoods. They are broad and general sections of town that contain lots of separate neighborhoods of various income and crime levels.

Someone seeking information on neighborhoods in Atlanta needs to understand that many people will describe large sections of Atlanta as entirely one way or another. The places mentioned in south-to-west's post were:

Gwinnett County - the largest county in metro Atlanta with areas ranging from urban to suburban to rural; the county has the largest Latino and Asian populations in Georgia (17.1% Hispanic). There are a wide range of neighborhoods in Gwinnett County...you would really need to look more closely at the ones you are interested in. Some of the cities and towns in Gwinnett: Lawrenceville, Dacula, Duluth, Norcross, Buford, Brasleton, Lilburn, Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Loganville, Mountain Park, Peachtree Corners, Berkeley Lake, Snellville, Grayson, Auburn. Each one of these has a variety of neighborhoods that you might find interesting.

Windy Hill corridor in Smyrna - same as above...lots of separate neighborhoods and large apartment complexes. Smyrna: population 40,999; 13.8% Hispanic; median income $47,572; 8.9% living below the poverty line. More info: www.ci.smyrna.ga.us

Southeast Atlanta - some neighborhoods are Grant Park, East Atlanta, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood, Peoplestown...I love this area, but some people would describe it as "dangerous". These neighborhoods have been gentrifying for several years and have developed into great urban centers with a mix of historic old homes and infill construction (lofts, apartments, condos, houses). You will definitely find diversity and acceptance here.

City of Chamblee - population 9,552; 57% Hispanic; median income $46,992; 15.8% living below the poverty line; served by the Chamblee MARTA station. More info...Welcome to the City of Chamblee, GA

City of Doraville - population 9,862; 43% Hispanic; median income $40,664; 15.3% living below the poverty line; served by the Doraville MARTA station. More info...City of Doraville
This is my last post to this thread, as it just seems to be going in circles, but again, the original poster asked about Hispanic areas. The areas that you mentioned have some wonderful attributes. You also mentioned some areas of Gwinnett and Southwest Atlanta that have almost no Hispanics (such as Suwanee); these areas are not relevant to the person's question. Again, the areas in Atlanta that have high concentrations of Hispanics are not large enclaves of middle class Hispanics, but tend statistically to be new immigrants of lower incomes. The Hispanic areas of Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, etc. are generally not in nice areas. Obviously there is lots of "diversity and acceptance" all over Atlanta, but I don't want this person moving to the Atlanta area to some crime ridden neighborhood or whatever term you want to use because of bad advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta