Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,877,908 times

Advertisements

this has been going around for a while, and all is silent on the atlanta forum, but as chik-fil-a is based in the atlanta area, i think it deserves discussion on this forum with local residents.

if you're not familiar with the issue, here's an article summarizing it:

Is Chick-fil-A anti-gay marriage? 'Guilty as charged,' leader says - latimes.com

essentially there's a series of blog posts and macro images that's been going around the internet for the past couple of months claiming that chik-fil-a financially supports groups opposed to same sex marriage. recently dan cathy, the current CEO has come out and said they're "guilty as charged" for supporting the definition of marriage as one man and one woman. backlash includes the jim henson organization (sesame street, the muppets) declining any further promotions between the two organizations, and the mayor of boston vowing to disallow chik-fil-a to move in to the boston area unless the policy is changed.

honestly, i'm not sure what to think. i'm jewish, and for some reason jews don't get as upset about this whole thing as christians do. the torah is pretty clear about banning the act of "laying with a man as one would a woman", but it seems this prohibition only applies to jews and non-jews are not required to follow this commandment. i have attended several orthodox synagogues in atlanta who essentially have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, where there are openly gay members who attend the synagogue and are welcome, but their relationship is not discussed and typically the whole gay issue is diverted unless one specifically asks the rabbi in private. it's the same sort of thing with driving on shabbos, some people do it but it isn't discussed.

how i feel about the whole thing, honestly i'm not sure. i'm not gay myself, so i don't worry about it and i think it's between the individual and G-d. i think that personally, a more important issue is promiscuous sex and failing to have a family, i think that if a gay couple wants to be able to "be fruitful and multiply" and adopt children, they're trying to follow a commandment and i think that's good— you wouldn't deny a guy who eats pork the ability to come to shul on shabbos, so that's why i oppose any restrictions on marriage inacted by the government— i don't think torah law should be inforced by law unless the law pertains to hurting another person.

as for the chik-fil-a issue, i only eat their vegetable plate down in hapeville when my family eats there, and i feel conflicted— they're a local business that i like supporting that supports other morals that are truly the backbone of both our religions, mercy, charity, kindness, etc., and i don't know if i want to boycott them because they oppose one of my viewpoints— certainly there are other companies who support political action i don't agree with, but how can i boycott every one of them? on the other hand, i don't want to be seen as supporting their decision in particular.

i guess my stance now is going to be i'll just eat there as i usually do, which is occasionally, but i'm not going to join either protest group as i don't really feel at home in either.

what are your thoughts?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,992 times
I think they have a right to their opinion as does everyone else. It's called Free Speech, something that is supposed to be guaranteed by the First Amendment.

Free Speech does not mean only speech that a particular group agrees with (that is political correctness). It means that everyone has the right to his/her opinion and to express that opinion. It does not mean that you or I or anyone has to agree, just that we are supposed to allow each opinion to be expressed.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
I think they have a right to their opinion as does everyone else. It's called Free Speech, something that is supposed to be guaranteed by the First Amendment.

Free Speech does not mean only speech that a particular group agrees with (that is political correctness). It means that everyone has the right to his/her opinion and to express that opinion. It does not mean that you or I or anyone has to agree, just that we are supposed to allow each opinion to be expressed.
Agree!

I personally do not support gay marriage but that does not mean I am homophobic. I know a few gays who were happy gay marriage was banned in GA so they do not have to worry about paying alimony!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Personal I Don't Care one way or the other, about Chik-Fil-A stand.

I go there for the Chicken, Not some political statement or position.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 AM

890 posts, read 1,650,200 times
I don't think it's a good look for the company. I frequently patronized them as they are convenient to my home and work, but I can't continue to do business with a company that outright states they don't believe in a cause that strongly support. I'd feel the same if a company said they didn't support people with disabilities, minorites, etc.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,548 times
I tend to agree with Voltaire, who said, I may not agree with what you say - but I will defend till my death - your right to say it.

This has already been decided time and time again with Supreme Court cases - you don't want to limit free speech, even if perceived, or actually is, hateful.

Next discussion.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,770 times
If they were talking about banning gay people or not allowing them to work there or something I could see the outrage but for Cathy to say what everyone already knew about not being for gay marriage really shouldn't affect them in my mind and it certainly won't stop me from going to eat there.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I tend to agree with Voltaire, who said, I may not agree with what you say - but I will defend till my death - your right to say it.

If this is a passionate issue for someone, then I understand why they would choose not to patronize Chik-Fil-A. But please, don't assume that everyone else should agree with you.

Right now, I just wish my Facebook friends would lay off the Gay Marriage and Gun Control post which are hotter issues in the press over the last week!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post

I agree with this. It also makes me sad that I can't eat a Chick Fil A sandwich anymore because I can't bring myself to support an organization that wants to take away/keep away my rights.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM

19 posts, read 17,512 times
The hoopla over this amazing. It is very old news. I don't eat there much, maybe twice in the last 3 years since one opened by me-and that's because my young grandkids wanted to to go there (I can not do McDonalds-gag). I just don't eat fast food. Nothing to do with the owners personal beliefs. There is a muslim owned cafe that I eat at 3-4 times a month-love the food! Don't agree with the owners beliefs. I drive 30 minutes just to eat there! (Just thinking about their food, thinking I have to go get my fix for lunch today, LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta