Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM

642 posts, read 2,219,882 times

Advertisements

Is there any downside to purchasing a stand alone home as opposed to one within a subdivision? Maybe a question for the realtors on board or someone who has purchased a stand alone home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Is there any downside to purchasing a stand alone home as opposed to one within a subdivision? Maybe a question for the realtors on board or someone who has purchased a stand alone home.
well I am a realtor....
but from a mom's point of view if you have children it is not only a safety because cars tend to drive slower in a subdivision and also their friends are easily accessed

make sure you get into a subdivision with a homeowners assoc. and covenants. it tends to keep resale values up when the people actually care about the appearance of the community

Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 AM

642 posts, read 2,219,882 times
Yes we have a 16 month old son. I'm actually asking because the most impressive house I've seen in out search up to this point may be the one that is not in a subdivision. But I would think that people would still not drive recklessly or fast if a stand alone were located on a quiet street anyway. I hear you on the HOA thing but on the other hand some of those fees are crazy. I can see if there's a pool, tennis, clubhouse etc. But many don't even have those things.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Subdivisions have their pro's and cons, but if you can find one that's somewhat new, with covenants that you can live with, you might find some good neighbors. And your son could have friends to play and grow with.

We've done the standalone home thing, and we've done the subdivision thing. Our kids are much happier in the subdivision. And what I wouldn't give for happy kids this day and age.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:56 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
I hear you on the HOA thing but on the other hand some of those fees are crazy. I can see if there's a pool, tennis, clubhouse etc. But many don't even have those things.
HOA boards are invariably taken over by busybodies with too much time on their hands.
The result is they'll be telling you what color to paint your toenails, how many goldfish you can keep, and many other more important things. If you are the type who can actually think for herself, this may tend to annoy you.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times
It depends on you and your lifestyle. My family is not so much into the soccer leagues etc and prefers family time. My youngest is 17 and does not like to play outside much anymore.

We live in a rural "subdivision" on a 4.5 acre tract. Our nearest neighbors are on the other sides of their 10 and 25 acre tracts. My daughter has fun playing with the animals at home and her friends at school. My wife is more reclusive and tends to shun the "gossip fence" so she prefers not being in a populated neighborhood. She likes to be left alone when she goes outside to garden or watch the birds. I enjoy being able to walk through the woods on my place without having to worry about parking or walking up on someone on a path that would prefer not to be walked up on if you get my drift.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Generally, most would assume that a home in a subdivision with covenants would be the practical and financially responsible way to go. However, there are some "stand alone" homes that would garner the same result. The objective I presume is a suburban vs. rual feel. I've done both and my take was this- The rual feel was nice and quite and the rule of thumb was- "don't worry about minding your own business because somebody else is minding it for you". The suburban thing was like, I know one neighbor on one side, one across the street, and one that has kids that my kids know. True bedroom community- nobody knows anybody- and most don't want too. I think its called cocooning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta