Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 AM

15 posts, read 26,667 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility that my husband would be working near Charlie Brown Airport near 20 West. What areas of town are best for a commute that will not kill him. Also, I work in Buckhead so have to take that into account too. AND....we have an 18 month old and want a good school district. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,677 times
Smyrna/Vinings would be a good area. Easy commute to 20 West and not bad to Buckhead once you learn the back roads (lots of routes available on average 20 minutes).

What is your budget?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 AM

300k-400k is the budget. How are the schools?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 AM

811 posts, read 1,055,285 times
To be honest, you're going to have to live a little farther away than you like in order to get into a good school district. I know the area very well, I'll provide some recommendations that I think will try to minimize the negatives while accentuating the positives.

One poster did mention Smyrna, and certainly there are some nice areas of Smyrna, particularly the area closest to I-285 along Atlanta Road, the East West Connector, Concord Road, and Cooperlake Road. However, the schools in this area aren't really great. Some are decent at the elementary level, but the middle and high school levels leave something to be desired.

Commutes from Smyrna to Charlie Brown and Buckhead are not bad at all. The commute from Atlanta Road to Charlie Brown might take at most ten to fifteen minutes, twenty minutes when the traffic is the worst. This is because it is a reverse commute from the direction of most of the traffic. The commute to Buckhead is about twenty to twenty five minutes, by way of West Paces Ferry Road.

Smyrna does have a lot of good things, from shopping, to the Silver Comet Walking Trail, to a lot of other things. However, the schools aren't the best.

If you're willing to drive farther, you can get into some better schools. Thinking about areas with good schools, that will be good schools for some time to come, and are the closest commutes to the areasyou mentioned:

- Riverwood School district area of west Sandy Springs (near New Northside Drive). Twenty minute drive to Buckhead, twenty-five to thirty minute drive to Charlie Brown. This would be at the top range of your price limit.

- Dallas Highway area of Cobb County (Harrison or Hillgrove district). Your husband would likely have a thirty to forty minute commute, and you would have something similar. You'd likely have a little money to spare with this location.

Last edited by Sound of Reason; 08-02-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Thank you! Perfect answer I was looking for. I grew up in Lawrenceville, went to Duluth High School and now am in Alpharetta. I know nothing west of 400
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta