Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 11,339 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is now working out of his home office 100% of the time except when he travels (1 or 2x a mo). So we think we'd like to move back to the Alpharetta area where we moved from 5 yrs ago to get away from the high cost of living in the NY area.
My question is, since we don't have to worry about a commute, but want great schools for our 3 kids, where in the Alpharetta area do you recommend? We used to be 4 mins. from downtown on the West side and loved it there, but that was a location for its access to GA400.
Still, I have 3 active kids (elem, Middle and High school) and figure I don't want to be too far from where they need to be....
Thanks for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,669 times
Most/all schools in Alpharetta are about par, so I would think it depends on what else your criteria is. That is, what else you would need to be close to, etc.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 AM

50 posts, read 129,847 times
I would look into North Fulton & South Forsyth. McGinnis Ferry Road is the county line one side is Fulton and one side is Forsyth. The schools are all typically rated good in Alpharetta & Cumming. You pay more in taxes on Fulton. We live in a neighborhood that half of it is Alpharetta & half of it is Cumming but both in Forsyth. We found we could get a house with a basement by being in Forsyth for 275,000 where a house in Alpharetta - Fulton was that price without a basement. We are near exit 11 and 12 (Windward & McFarland). Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks! Everyone! Everyone's thoughts welcomed!
I so much want a bit of green (established neighborhood, lots of trees, I love to walk)... that is what I would miss most up here. The natural beauty. I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter neighborhoods which is what most of the options seem to be. (no offense! I lived in a cookie cutter before in Alpharetta! I just love the historic homes, stone walls and woods all around us in CT).

Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM

205 posts, read 693,207 times
You could check Milton which is off of exit 10 of 400. Some of the homes are the mcMansions, but there are also some more colonial constructions homes with plenty of trees, space between neighbors and windy streets for you to walk on.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM

997 posts, read 4,646,444 times
I would recommend the neighborhood of Seven Oaks. It has alot of trees especially around the club house and tennis courts. Pretty for walking. The entrance has a long drive with a pond that has 2 swans. It also has 2 playgrounds, a soccer field and a green. It is in Johns Creek now but on the Alpharetta line off McGinnis Ferry. Fulton County. The schools are Findley Oaks, River Trail and Northview. All of which are great. I don't think the neighobrhood looks cookie cutter at all. One reason I like it. It also has 3 sections with different price ranges so there is something for everyone. Not the closest to 400 but it's still worth a look.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,697 times
You may want to think about the trade off your looking at in terms of education for your children. I myself being originally from Michigan have found there is a vast difference in the teachings. Is moving back to Georgia worth the possible impact on your children's future?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenagg View Post
Thanks! Everyone! Everyone's thoughts welcomed!
I so much want a bit of green (established neighborhood, lots of trees, I love to walk)... that is what I would miss most up here. The natural beauty. I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter neighborhoods which is what most of the options seem to be. (no offense! I lived in a cookie cutter before in Alpharetta! I just love the historic homes, stone walls and woods all around us in CT).
Look into old town Alpharetta--the areas radiating out from main street, etc.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
What's your budget?
From there, I'm sure everyone here can recommend some places within the Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek area.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks everyone!
Based upon the way prices have dropped so much, I see no reason to spend more then $300,000 for a house. We can go over this for the perfect house, but I see no reason so far.
Thanks for everyone's input. As for the schools. It is always so stressful, but I expected when I came up to CT they would be better, but I was dissappointed. So if anything, I feel like it will be a step up school-wise. We just don't have the time to research utopia, much as I'd like to...
Met a man at the hair cutters yesterday and he was in town on business, lives in Alpharetta. He was telling me how much he loves it there.... I took it as an OMEN...
Biggest challenge is to rent our house here first.
I'm thinking of renting there first in the chosen school district, to have time to feel out the lay of the land.
If you all know anyone interested in renting a 4 brm let me know!
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta