Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for over a year now. I appreciate the information posted here SO much. I feel like I know so much about Atlanta already w/o even being there yet.

I am seriously considering a move to the Atlanta area in May 2010. Initially settling in either the Dunwoody/Alpharetta/Sandy Springs area. I'll post more questions regarding housing later. However, my specific question right now is regarding the job market there. Basically, I am trying to get a feel for when I should begin my job search. My plan as of now is to start in January. Given the job market there, do you guys/gals feel that this is reasonable? Or I should I start my search sooner or later? I will be targeting professional positions in the Accounting arena. I have both a Bachelor of Science in Finance as well as an MBA. I was told recently by a recruiter specializing in my field that Acctg jobs remain plentiful there. But I still feel the need to ask the question here because I know you all will tell it like it really is.

Thanks in advance...

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:01 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
I don't know what recruiter you spoke to but that is NOT true. Most recruiters will tell you in Accounting that the market is VERY Difficult right now. Temping is easier to come by, but I wouldn't hold my breath. People are still loosing their jobs left and right.

The easiest thing for you to do if you want a job in GA is to have your job transferred. Since you are planning on moving next year no one knows how the market will be at that time. It might turn around and it might not. The sooner you look for a job the better. If you don't have connections in Atlanta then getting a job will be VERY difficult in this market. I'd start networking with people now.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:48 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Yes and No,
The field is strong if your are Certified SOX and very strong in corporate compliance. Though many large corp's are laying off people, if they are public companies then they are looking for compliance accountants.

On the other side of the coin, many many private companies are laying off. The rate here now is 9.5% unemployment with some counties in double digits.

Goes with the golden rule of Never move anywhere from home unless you have a job in place. There are many a foreclosure here mostly due to that type of thinking.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta