Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 AM

49 posts, read 151,806 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering how the dating scene is for a straight NY male? I've definitely noticed huge differences as I moved from place to place. The NY dating scene is much better than Boston and especially better than Miami (which was a big surprise to me). I'm an athletic guy that lifts weights 3x a week, make more than $100k a year and drive a sports car. I don't think I'm the hottest property out there, I just want to be able to get a girlfriend. I'm currently living in Miami and looking to relocate. I can work remotely from anywhere in the country, so job is not a problem for me.

Are women approachable? Are they laid back or will they demand a wedding ring before the first kiss? I also date women of all races...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenboyce View Post
I'm just wondering how the dating scene is for a straight NY male? I've definitely noticed huge differences as I moved from place to place. The NY dating scene is much better than Boston and especially better than Miami (which was a big surprise to me). I'm an athletic guy that lifts weights 3x a week, make more than $100k a year and drive a sports car. I don't think I'm the hottest property out there, I just want to be able to get a girlfriend. I'm currently living in Miami and looking to relocate. I can work remotely from anywhere in the country, so job is not a problem for me.

Are women approachable? Are they laid back or will they demand a wedding ring before the first kiss? I also date women of all races...

There are a lot of gold diggers in Atlanta, and Atlanta women tend to be drama queens. So definitely beware of that. Atlanta women either are career oriented, and as a result tend to be egotistical. Or they are dead poor and broke, and expects the man to foot the bill on a lot of things. Atlanta women will put out quicker, so I guess that's a bonus. And in terms of how Atlanta women look, they're going to be slightly worse than women in Miami. I don't find Atlanta women very down to earth either. I think if you're not a thug or a celebrity millionaires, Atlanta women will have a hard time respecting you.

Of course, not everyone's experience is the same, but I've found Atlanta dating frustrating.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Wow, lots of generalizations about "Atlanta women"!

stevenboyce...the women in Atlanta are just like they are in any other major metro. Show up with a good, friendly attitude and you will be successful.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Wow, lots of generalizations about "Atlanta women"!

stevenboyce...the women in Atlanta are just like they are in any other major metro. Show up with a good, friendly attitude and you will be successful.

I can see you love relativist logic. As if no city has a culture congruent with someone's expectation. Every city has a culture, which may or may not be compatible with your personality. You're pretending there is a certain behavioral homogeneity in every city, which is definitely not true

Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are a lot of gold diggers in Atlanta, and Atlanta women tend to be drama queens. So definitely beware of that. Atlanta women either are career oriented, and as a result tend to be egotistical. Or they are dead poor and broke, and expects the man to foot the bill on a lot of things. Atlanta women will put out quicker, so I guess that's a bonus. And in terms of how Atlanta women look, they're going to be slightly worse than women in Miami. I don't find Atlanta women very down to earth either. I think if you're not a thug or a celebrity millionaires, Atlanta women will have a hard time respecting you.

Of course, not everyone's experience is the same, but I've found Atlanta dating frustrating.
Seriously????? Nope.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,754 times
Quote:
I can see you love relativist logic. As if no city has a culture congruent with someone's expectation. Every city has a culture, which may or may not be compatible with your personality. You're pretending there is a certain behavioral homogeneity in every city, which is definitely not true
In a age where most big cities are full of transplants and information is at your finger tips, yes culture is becoming more and more homogenous in most MAJOR cities with only slight differences . Smaller towns are bit different as they have more homegrown folks vs. transplants.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,754 times
I guess I can't relate to men claiming the women are superficial or whatever here.

I know how to find the type of girl I want and I typically dont encouter the others but maybe it's because Im not at some generic top 40/hip club or bottle service bar every weekend where people come to floss and have no real personality. One of the perks of avoiding the mainstream when possible. You don't run into mainstream stereotypes of women.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
No, YOU are pretending that there is a prevailing behavior in Atlanta - not me. I clearly stated that there are all kinds of people in every single corner of the Earth...I'm not sure how you deduced that I think that all cities are homogenous.

The things being discussed in this thread are not cultural...they are individual traits that have nothing to do with culture.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I guess I can't relate to men claiming the women are superficial or whatever here.

I know how to find the type of girl I want and I typically dont encouter the others but maybe it's because Im not at some generic top 40/hip club or bottle service bar every weekend where people come to floss and have no real personality. One of the perks of avoiding the mainstream when possible. You don't run into mainstream stereotypes of women.
Exactly...there are all kinds of people everywhere. There is no particular type of woman in Atlanta or anywhere else.

People have certain experiences that they translate to an overall definition of a city, but it isn't reality.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
It depends on what kind of partner you are looking for and what kind of social network you are looking to hook in to.

The female to male ratio slightly favors males, and unemployment is currently higher than the national average. As such, it will be easier than other places to attract women, but that does not mean that everyone you meet is girlfriend material.

100,000k/year and a sports car is nice, but you run a real risk of attracting the type of woman whose priority is social/financial standing. Some guys don't mind the trophy wife/kept woman type. I would start with something inauspicious (co-ed sports league? dance class? fitness gym?) and make a couple of friends first before diving head in. The sprawl here means that there are diff ways to meet diff types of people in diff areas of the metro area.

For example, higher likelihood to meet a med school student around Emory campus than a saloon in Kennessaw. Churchy gals, concert gals, athletic gals, club hopping gals, auto enthusiast gals, nerdy gals.... they all abound if you know where to find them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta