Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 13,134 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating from New York City to Atlanta.

A little information about myself:

I'm a young educated black woman, currently working in public health management for the federal government. I will be transferring to an office that's relatively close to CNN. My salary is in the mid 90k range and I'm currently single.

I've seen several tv specials regarding black women and dating in Atlanta. I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to find an educated professional straight man (who earns a comparable salary) in the Atlanta area. I'm only interested in marriage minded men.

I'm certainly open to dating non black men, but I'm not sure of the racial dynamics in Atlanta. I've heard that people pretty much self segregate. I will be residing in Midtown, since the location is close to my job.

Am I overreacting or should I not really be concerned about the dating scene?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,433 times
I would suspect that Atlanta has the largest professional black/african population in the US. I don't think you will have any problems. There should also be plenty of professional networking groups for you to meet liked minded people.

The nightlife is somewhat segregated but by personal choice, so you will find all types of people of status at the bars/clubs if you put yourself into those types of establishment.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM

242 posts, read 355,742 times
I am sure it's very similar to the place in which you're relocating from.

Dating doesn't change much from place to place. Especially if it's a decent sized metro, like Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa887 View Post

I'm a young educated black woman, currently working in public health management for the federal government. I will be transferring to an office that's relatively close to CNN. My salary is in the mid 90k range and I'm currently single.

I've seen several tv specials regarding black women and dating in Atlanta. I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to find an educated professional straight man (who earns a comparable salary) in the Atlanta area. I'm only interested in marriage minded men.

I'm certainly open to dating non black men, but I'm not sure of the racial dynamics in Atlanta. I've heard that people pretty much self segregate. I will be residing in Midtown, since the location is close to my job.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:09 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,445,497 times
In my personal experience as a black male. Atlanta have alot of successful career minded African American ladies, however I don't understand why most are either single or divorce. For Instances 100% of my African Americans Co workers women are divorced with kids or single in their 40's, and 50's. Henceforth, they act like they are strong and independent, but are man-less and single. My point its not only do black males in Atlanta have issues at the crisis level, but what is going on with the black women in Atlanta also?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM

890 posts, read 1,650,528 times
Quote:

Try meetup. Com
there's a group called professionals nite out that may have the type of men you're interested in

Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM

421 posts, read 750,035 times
What tv specials are there on dating in Atlanta? How old are you OP?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM

242 posts, read 355,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
What tv specials are there on dating in Atlanta? How old are you OP?

None. Only the Real Housewives Of Atlanta and that's not a dating show.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,856 times
Quote:

The phrase in bold really jumped out at me for some reason.

You do realize that Atlanta is not quite as expensive as NYC(in turn meaning lower salaries on average) and they aren't exactly handing out $90K salaries anywhere these days?

So, depending how firm you are on that salary requirement(which, by the way, I have never once seen a guy throw out there) you have just eliminated a large percentage of the potential dating pool.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
Warning:

Of note: The topic is not about what you think about black men in general, your generalized theories about them as a group of people, etc. And this is not a chat room to debate amongst each other about those ideas. Stick to the TOPIC, and answer the OP's inquiry please (or, don't).

Thank you.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
Try meetup. Com
there's a group called professionals nite out that may have the type of men you're interested in
Yeah meetup.com is a great place to start. The dating scene, like in just about any big city, is all about what you make it.

BTW, there does seem to be a market of educated black men that feel that they sometimes get passed up for the crazy guys and the ghetto men (we sure have them, too), so I'm sure some of them would be pleased to know that there are women out there who are actually seeking them out.

Also, you could hardly do better than Midtown. It definitely has a strong dating scene, especially if you like going out on the town late at night.

And please, don't just us by reality TV. Reality TV is "reality" in name only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta