Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,530,835 times

Advertisements

Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM

141 posts, read 234,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa887 View Post

Am I overreacting or should I not really be concerned about the dating scene?

At a certain point in life dating becomes difficult for anyone and of any race. The older you get the harder it becomes.

When we were in High School and College, we had "instant access" to a pool of people to date. As we get older and work and life in general gets in the way, things get a little more difficult.

Having said that, I don't think you'll have any concerns. Dating is never easy. Be open and flexible.

There are lots of great guys that make $40k a year that will be well worth consideration as well as guys that make $250K+.

Whatever you do, don't assume dating another ethnic group is the "magic bullet". If you like men other than blacks date them because you like them not because of some "myth" about black men being in a "shortage",etc...

I am a Director of Finance and earn what most would consider a great income and I am dating a gal that earns $27k year. Why? Because I like her. I did not "select" her based on her job title nor income. She can most certainly cover herself and expenses. As long as she can do that, she's good in my book. We often times miss out of wonderful people because we (think we)need an "equal"........

Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
What tv specials are there on dating in Atlanta? How old are you OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
None. Only the Real Housewives Of Atlanta and that's not a dating show.
She is probably talking about this:

Why Are There So Many Single Black Females? - ABC News

Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM

353 posts, read 395,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa887 View Post
I will be relocating from New York City to Atlanta.

A little information about myself:

I'm a young educated black woman, currently working in public health management for the federal government. I will be transferring to an office that's relatively close to CNN. My salary is in the mid 90k range and I'm currently single.

I've seen several tv specials regarding black women and dating in Atlanta. I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to find an educated professional straight man (who earns a comparable salary) in the Atlanta area. I'm only interested in marriage minded men.

I'm certainly open to dating non black men, but I'm not sure of the racial dynamics in Atlanta. I've heard that people pretty much self segregate. I will be residing in Midtown, since the location is close to my job.

Am I overreacting or should I not really be concerned about the dating scene?
I'm a young professional black woman with a similar income. When I lived in Atlanta for a year, I didn't have an active dating life. But this was probably due to my own habits. I don't drink or smoke, so needless to say, I wasn't into happy hour events. I did however join meet-ups, and road runner events. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck meeting Mr. Right, but everyone's situation is different.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM

141 posts, read 234,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I'm a young professional black woman with a similar income. When I lived in Atlanta for a year, I didn't have an active dating life. But this was probably due to my own habits. I don't drink or smoke, so needless to say, I wasn't into happy hour events. I did however join meet-ups, and road runner events. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck meeting Mr. Right, but everyone's situation is different.

I think this is where people go wrong. They remain in DIRECT search for a mate. I've always focused on building a big social circle. People come and go like the seasons. After a while once my social circle became big I'd always have a pool of people to date either by way of introduction or by way of just meeting friends of friends in my social circle.

We accept the notion that the best jobs are not advertised and can only be had by way of networking or being on the "inside". Why is dating or meeting a quality mate any different? It's not.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,530,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I think this is where people go wrong. They remain in DIRECT search for a mate. I've always focused on building a big social circle. People come and go like the seasons. After a while once my social circle became big I'd always have a pool of people to date either by way of introduction or by way of just meeting friends of friends in my social circle.

We accept the notion that the best jobs are not advertised and can only be had by way of networking or being on the "inside". Why is dating or meeting a quality mate any different? It's not.
dating & mating is easy, its the most natural thing humans should do, but difficult people make life difficult for themselves & like to blame the opposite gender for their singleness. I find the lonliest people are the ones who want too much. They deserve to suffer lonliness & all the sadness actached to it.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM

353 posts, read 395,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I find the lonliest people are the ones who want too much. They deserve to suffer lonliness & all the sadness actached to it.
Your statement is on the harsh side. I don't believe wanting a person who has similar beliefs, earnings, education, religious affiliation, upbringing, etc., is "wanting too much."

For example, since I don't drink or smoke, I only date men who do not drink or smoke either. I think relationships tend to be more successful when we date people who share a similar way of life, because the commonality makes things less stressful.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,591 times
Quote:
At a certain point in life dating becomes difficult for anyone and of any race. The older you get the harder it becomes.

When we were in High School and College, we had "instant access" to a pool of people to date. As we get older and work and life in general gets in the way, things get a little more difficult.

Having said that, I don't think you'll have any concerns. Dating is never easy. Be open and flexible.

There are lots of great guys that make $40k a year that will be well worth consideration as well as guys that make $250K+.

Whatever you do, don't assume dating another ethnic group is the "magic bullet". If you like men other than blacks date them because you like them not because of some "myth" about black men being in a "shortage",etc...

I am a Director of Finance and earn what most would consider a great income and I am dating a gal that earns $27k year. Why? Because I like her. I did not "select" her based on her job title nor income. She can most certainly cover herself and expenses. As long as she can do that, she's good in my book. We often times miss out of wonderful people because we (think we)need an "equal"........
Gold!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 PM

242 posts, read 355,742 times
Great post. Solid advice.

Quote:

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
dating & mating is easy, its the most natural thing humans should do, but difficult people make life difficult for themselves & like to blame the opposite gender for their singleness. I find the lonliest people are the ones who want too much. They deserve to suffer lonliness & all the sadness actached to it.
I don't agree with the last sentence, but there is a lot of truth in the rest of this. People who are looking for Mr. or Ms. Right are going to be looking for a LONG time. Have standards, but don't make those standards impossibly high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta