Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to mention specific names so as to not give free advertising, but there are singles groups in Atlanta that specialize in having events for singles. Not bars or clubs or dating services in the way you think of them, but they organize events like parties, white water rafting, dinners - a variety of things. Everyone goes and if someone is there that sparks your interest you can strike up a conversations with them - if not, you still got to go to the event/activity and have fun. You can Google for specific clubs that offer this but they are out there. And as someone has said, meetup.com can be a way to join groups based on your interests where you can always meet people, too.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM

421 posts, read 749,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
As I said, I have lived here for nearly 20 years and the dating scene has been mostly crappy the entire time for me. I used to get dates in the 90's/early 2000's. Now I don't get dates at all. I am so looking forward to moving from here.

One of my friends lived here for 8 years and she never went on a date or had a relationship the entire time. She recently moved back to where she came from.
Ok, how old are you? That may be why you aren't getting many dates and maybe need to hang out in places with people your age.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Ok, how old are you? That may be why you aren't getting many dates and maybe need to hang out in places with people your age.
My age doesn't matter and I don't go for that whole being boxed in because of my age. The kind of men I met in my 20's are no different than the men I meet in my 30's. Men only wanted sex then and they still only want sex now.

At least then men were willing to take you out. Now guys seem to just want to do sex and Netflix. NO THANKS!!!

Let me be clear and say that it's not that I don't meet men at all, or I'm not going out on dates because of my age. I don't go on dates because men don't want to go on dates, they only want to screw. I don't meet men who want anything more than causal tso that leaves me as the odd woman out because I don't want to be bothered with that . The dating culture has changed. Whereas men were more willing to go out on dates even if they weren't looking for anything serious, now it seems because they don't want anything serious they want to bed women without having to invest any time or money and are more upfront about it these days.

I am good-looking a size 6/DDDD and I'm never guessed at being older than 28. It's simply getting harder to find men who want serious relationships.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Ok, I have to jump in here. I know numerous AA women who have found husbands in Atlanta. Newsflash: women EVERYWHERE claim that there are no good men. It is not an Atlanta thing. It is an excuses of the woman thing. They claim that in Chicago (where I am from), they claim that in LA (where I have lived). In each city, the women sitting around talking about there are no men to date have no men to date...meanwhile, other women are dating. Sorry, the problem is usually the tactics/approach of the women in many cases as to why they don't have dates.

This is not going to be easy for some to hear but I have to say it. I, being a more outgoing woman in my single years, would observe women who come to various events in groups stay in the groups the entire time that they are somewhere. Newsflash: no man is going to walk up to a table of women, point you out, and risk the scrutiny that comes from all of the "friends" who will hate on him as soon as he turns his back. Women have to get out and work a room if they want to meet men. Not sit with your friends all night...unless you want to date your friend.

Other point, women must be strategic in what they want. If you want to be married, then stop putting all of your time into working and actively pursue events and affairs that have single, eligible bachelors. Sports events come to mind. Not much competition there and lots of men. When you wanted your college degree, you pursued it with vigor, why is finding a mate any different? It's not.

Finally, men are all visual (at first). Therefore, if you do not have qualities that will get a man's attention, you have to be honest with yourself and get that together. A frown and excess pounds is not going to get a man's attention (in many cases). Superficial as it is, take my advice if you want a husband. I found my husband one month after I arrived in Atlanta from LA. But you have to stay (visually) ready and start smiling. It can be done ladies.

Quote:
It's not that some people were born to be single. Sometimes we are just fishing in the wrong pond. It is known that Atlanta is not a good place for single black women. Speaking from a transplant perspective, I knew very few women regarsless of race who moved here from other cities and found a mate here. I've lived here for 16 years and only 4 of my girlfriends found husbands here. The married women I know moved here with husbads in tow. Everyone else is single and dateless or in dead-end relationships.

Dating in Atlanta is difficult. It's even harder for black women. It's tough to find men who want to even take you on a real date, much less have any kind of relationship. They want to bed you but will look at you cross-eyed and crazy if you expect to be taken anywhere.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Excuse me for being blunt but the whole post complains about how men just want you for sex then you brag about being a DDDD. What's wrong with this picture? You attract what you put out into the universe. Stop thinking about how big your boobs are and you won't attract men that are only thinking of that. Or get a breast reduction. If you are size 6 and DDDD, honey, they can't think of anything else. LOL. And are you having all of your DDDD hanging out with cleavage everywhere? If so, wrap it up and you might send a different message. If not, just get the freaking breast reduction so the men can focus on your face and mind and personality. LOL.

Quote:
My age doesn't matter and I don't go for that whole being boxed in because of my age. The kind of men I met in my 20's are no different than the men I meet in my 30's. Men only wanted sex then and they still only want sex now.

At least then men were willing to take you out. Now guys seem to just want to do sex and Netflix. NO THANKS!!!

Let me be clear and say that it's not that I don't meet men at all, or I'm not going out on dates because of my age. I don't go on dates because men don't want to go on dates, they only want to screw. I don't meet men who want anything more than causal tso that leaves me as the odd woman out because I don't want to be bothered with that . The dating culture has changed. Whereas men were more willing to go out on dates even if they weren't looking for anything serious, now it seems because they don't want anything serious they want to bed women without having to invest any time or money and are more upfront about it these days.

I am good-looking a size 6/DDDD and I'm never guessed at being older than 28. It's simply getting harder to find men who want serious relationships.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

This is not going to be easy for some to hear but I have to say it. I, being a more outgoing woman in my single years, would observe women who come to various events in groups stay in the groups the entire time that they are somewhere. Newsflash: no man is going to walk up to a table of women, point you out, and risk the scrutiny that comes from all of the "friends" who will hate on him as soon as he turns his back. Women have to get out and work a room if they want to meet men. Not sit with your friends all night...unless you want to date your friend.
I don't hang out with a bunch of women when I want to go out and interact with men. I go alone and I go to watch sports.

Quote:

Other point, women must be strategic in what they want. If you want to be married, then stop putting all of your time into working and actively pursue events and affairs that have single, eligible bachelors. Sports events come to mind. Not much competition there and lots of men. When you wanted your college degree, you pursued it with vigor, why is finding a mate any different? It's not.
I agree. I love sports, go to watch sports all the time.

Quote:

Finally, men are all visual (at first). Therefore, if you do not have qualities that will get a man's attention, you have to be honest with yourself and get that together. A frown and excess pounds is not going to get a man's attention (in many cases). Superficial as it is, take my advice if you want a husband. I found my husband one month after I arrived in Atlanta from LA. But you have to stay (visually) ready and start smiling. It can be done ladies.
I take care of myself. I dress very well. I am not at all fat. I'm slightly tall, with a slender build and large breasts. I am also a professional dancer.

Great advice but none of this applies to me.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM

This thought process is, I have achieved it so I want a man who has achieved the same thing that I have. Is that right? The problem is, what if your mate is a COMPLEMENT to you and not you? If you wanted to date yourself, you could do that, right? The newsflash here is that there might be someone out there that is different from you and has accomplished other things that are different from what you have accomplished/how you conduct himself (education, career/income, whether he drinks). You might find out that he is interesting and COMPLEMENTS you as opposed to being just like you. Try it. You might like it. You never know. One thing you already know - what you've been trying hasn't worked.

ETA: Mary, ppl in the bible drank. What's wrong with a man that partakes of the grape every now and then. This is sounding kind of judgemental and prudish to be honest. Don't be mad. I'm just bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
Just know that I am not asking a guy to have anything that I haven't been able to accomplish, achieve or acquire myself in terms of overall morals/ family values, education, career/income, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Excuse me for being blunt but the whole post complains about how men just want you for sex then you brag about being a DDDD. What's wrong with this picture? You attract what you put out into the universe. Stop thinking about how big your boobs are and you won't attract men that are only thinking of that. Or get a breast reduction. If you are size 6 and DDDD, honey, they can't think of anything else. LOL. And are you having all of your DDDD hanging out with cleavage everywhere? If so, wrap it up and you might send a different message. If not, just get the freaking breast reduction so the men can focus on your face and mind and personality. LOL.
Just because I mentioned my size that doesn't mean I let it all hang out. You have no idea how I dress. I dress mostly conservative and I never show cleavage. I hardly ever wear short skirts and I almost never wear shorts. You are being judgmental without knowing anything about me. I'm not going to get a breast reduction because you say so. This is how I was made. Saying I should get a breast reduction so men can respect me is no different than telling a rape victim she should've been dressed more modestly or she wouldn't have gotten raped. Backwards thinking.

You are speaking double speak. On the one hand you say men are visual and women shouldn't have extra pounds or should look good. I mention I have a nice figure and that I'm not fat, then you jump to the conclusion that I must be immodest for mentioning it and now I need to cover it up. So which is it?

You are making many assumptions. All of them are wrong. Sorry.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 03-28-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM

I think you misunderstand my advice. Don't go to watch sports...be in a room with men who are watching sports. Then strategically meet them all. Get it. Who cares about the freaking sports or who scores what. You're there to meet men, not to watch sports.

You're a professional dancer with DDDD? I take it you are not a ballet dancer?

Quote:
I don't hang out with a bunch of women when I want to go out and interact with men. I go alone and I go to watch sports.

I agree. I love sports, go to watch sports all the time.

I take care of myself. I dress very well. I am not at all fat. I'm slightly tall, with a slender build and large breasts. I am also a professional dancer.

Great advice but none of this applies to me.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM

You're not meeting men because you think you were born to be single. You draw in what you put out into the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozi30213 View Post
I'm 33 years old and black and I have yet to have a date in Atlanta. I have a very active social life too. It is what it is. Some people were just born to be single.... While others have good luck. There are a lot of fun places in Midtown to meet people though... Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta