Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simensays View Post
But again, if you must come to America, pick a place that has a high level of immigrants. New York or Chicago are your best bet. People have already been in your shoes so don't reinvent the wheel. There's Little Italy, Chinatown, Koreatown, etc in those cities for a reason.
Atlanta does have a lot of immigrants. If you aren't finding them you should venture outside of cherokee county every once in a while.

Where do you think all these rednecks came from? They are immigrants from western europe. The didn't just grow in a cabbage patch. I know a lady who has the strongest southern belle accent you've ever heard. She moved here from the UK when she was a young girl.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. There are lots of people that moved here from the UK and like it better. I don't understand why but they try to explain it to me.

San Francisco isn't for everyone I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:05 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Atlanta does have a lot of immigrants.
Atlanta does have a huge amount of immigrants, especially in the suburbs. In Alpharetta, for instance, 70% of the residents were born in another state or abroad.

That's probably pretty typical.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 AM

230 posts, read 492,873 times
My parents moved us here 16 years ago from London. Perosnally, I think you are better of in London. We go back every year for a couple of months, so we know what the two are like. We are also planning on moving back in several years. Parts of Atlanta are beautiful (lots of trees and some older house); however, on a whole it is quite bland.

One thing to consider is the birth of your first child. Even with insurance it can cost quite a bit. My uncles first child had a complication and had to be delievered via c-section. It costed him $12,000 with insurance. He fought for over a year and got it reduced down to $500, but that is a unnecessary hassle. Also, the costs can skyrocket if their is a complication after birth. The NHS is brilliant. Don't forget the house checkups after birth! Most importantly, if your child is born in the U.S he/she can be eligible for British Citizenship, but their children cannot be.

Immigration can also be a nightmare. It took us 13 years to get citizenship and costed us over $10,000. USCIS is filled with the most incompetent people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. Just before we got our Green Card, we recieved a letter from USCIS stating that our application had been approved, we just needed to send every offical document they sent to us back to them, so that they could double check their files .

London had better: transportation, food, drivers, culture, shopping, healthcare (NHS), nightlife (I know that it is not important with a child on its way, but London is amazing at night!), police (don't feel scared of them in London), and lastly a more competent government heading the country.

If you are still interested in moving to Atlanta, I would look into the Dunwoody/ Sandy Springs area. It should be a reverse commute to Cobb Galleria and depending on the time of the day you can take the train down to the airport. We choose this area because it reminds us of Datchet.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
My parents moved us here 16 years ago from London. Perosnally, I think you are better of in London. We go back every year for a couple of months, so we know what the two are like. We are also planning on moving back in several years. Parts of Atlanta are beautiful (lots of trees and some older house); however, on a whole it is quite bland.

One thing to consider is the birth of your first child. Even with insurance it can cost quite a bit. My uncles first child had a complication and had to be delievered via c-section. It costed him $12,000 with insurance. He fought for over a year and got it reduced down to $500, but that is a unnecessary hassle. Also, the costs can skyrocket if their is a complication after birth. The NHS is brilliant. Don't forget the house checkups after birth! Most importantly, if your child is born in the U.S he/she can be eligible for British Citizenship, but their children cannot be.

Immigration can also be a nightmare. It took us 13 years to get citizenship and costed us over $10,000. USCIS is filled with the most incompetent people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. Just before we got our Green Card, we recieved a letter from USCIS stating that our application had been approved, we just needed to send every offical document they sent to us back to them, so that they could double check their files .

London had better: transportation, food, drivers, culture, shopping, healthcare (NHS), nightlife (I know that it is not important with a child on its way, but London is amazing at night!), police (don't feel scared of them in London), and lastly a more competent government heading the country.

If you are still interested in moving to Atlanta, I would look into the Dunwoody/ Sandy Springs area. It should be a reverse commute to Cobb Galleria and depending on the time of the day you can take the train down to the airport. We choose this area because it reminds us of Datchet.
I guess opinions are formed based on past experiences (what one is used to)...for me, being used to Atlanta, living in London was very similar to the way you described Atlanta (NHS was horrible, the food was awful, culture was very bland, shopping was difficult at best, nightlife was boring and spotty, government competence???, lower quality of life, etc).

I'm not sure why you would recommend a suburban area to possible new residents when there are much better and more urban areas inside the city.

London is a great city to visit, but daily life there is obviously very different from Atlanta and the U.S. in general.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM

13 posts, read 12,914 times
Some great replies here thank you very much, and this helps me gel some ideas of whether SFO or ATL are real options:

To cover some of the questions/areas raised in the responses.

A) I will be working from home, so only my wife needs to commute

B) We are Indian (Punjabi) by ethnicity - though born and raised in the UK - we are pretty liberal and open minded!
I have been travelling to and all over Canada and the US for the last 4 years - 2 to 3 weeks per trip about 5 ot 6 times per year.

C) London is great, though to be fair i've been though the whole clubbing/party thing and as long as i can find a pub that shows British Premier League Soccer at the weekend i am happy!

D) Yes the baby delivery and insurance coverage is a concern, i've done a fair amount of research and HIPPA rules state that previous coverage (which we have in the UK) would mean we should be okay for full coverage. But need to cover all that with the broker and make the appropriatte call.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I guess opinions are formed based on past experiences (what one is used to)...for me, being used to Atlanta, living in London was very similar to the way you described Atlanta (NHS was horrible, the food was awful, culture was very bland, shopping was difficult at best, nightlife was boring and spotty, government competence???, lower quality of life, etc).

I'm not sure why you would recommend a suburban area to possible new residents when there are much better and more urban areas inside the city.

London is a great city to visit, but daily life there is obviously very different from Atlanta and the U.S. in general.

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I still have to disagree on nightlife and government. Congress is a disaster at the moment.

Last edited by chalvey; 08-26-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by london-tawn View Post
Some great replies here thank you very much, and this helps me gel some ideas of whether SFO or ATL are real options:

To cover some of the questions/areas raised in the responses.

A) I will be working from home, so only my wife needs to commute

B) We are Indian (Punjabi) by ethnicity - though born and raised in the UK - we are pretty liberal and open minded!
I have been travelling to and all over Canada and the US for the last 4 years - 2 to 3 weeks per trip about 5 ot 6 times per year.

C) London is great, though to be fair i've been though the whole clubbing/party thing and as long as i can find a pub that shows British Premier League Soccer at the weekend i am happy!

D) Yes the baby delivery and insurance coverage is a concern, i've done a fair amount of research and HIPPA rules state that previous coverage (which we have in the UK) would mean we should be okay for full coverage. But need to cover all that with the broker and make the appropriatte call.

Hey! We are Punjabi as well. I was born in Britain and dad in Kenya. Do you want an area with other Indians? Unfortunately, there are not many Punjabi's in Atlanta. More South Indians, Marathi's, and Uttarpradeshi's. If only your wife will be commuting look into Vinings . Can't chime in about pubs, since I am not over 21. If you have any questions you can always PM me!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I still have to disagree on nightlife
So do I. Central London on a Friday or Saturday night is over the top.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
As an ex-pat from London, I would strongly recommend your moving to San Francisco instead of Atlanta (I read your other post in that forum). Atlanta truly is a horrid place to be with poor public transport and high crime. The state of Georgia is run by ultra right-wing politicians. Race relations are to blame for much of its shortcomings.

San Francisco is a dense, walkable and truly cosmopolitan city. The climate is temperate and you're close to the ocean and mountains. Neighbourhoods have character and most of them are virtually crime-free and quite safe. Public transport is much more extensive, and isn't seen as a mode of transport for the poor, as is the case in Atlanta.

I travel throughout the States frequently and have been to all its major and most of the lesser cities. I never experienced culture shock as intensely as I did in Atlanta.
Oh my...but SF is VERY expensive. And while Atlanta has future water concerns, we're fine for now. But water is very precious in SF. I believe they wait a while before flushing and use deodorants to cover the smell. And politically, SF is further left than Georgia is right. In fact, no place is further left than SF. SF is a great place to visit but living there is best for the rich.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
As far as the cities are concerned, London's peer is New York. It's not fair to compare Atlanta to London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta