Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times

Advertisements

The worst is when it rains and you can't see any dividers + the fact that these fools like to build roads that constantly shifts!!!! Arggghhh

Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
If it weren't for the 1996 Olympics, many of the interstates inside I-285 such as I-20, wouldn't even have lights.

Chew on that little tidbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali 2 Tha South n Back View Post
With Atlanta city proper being 430k and Metro Atlanta being 5.2 million, seems like they should be having a well lit freeway, I mean, expressway system at night. But it's not. What is up with that? With more cars and more traffic, this is very dangerous. Even California freeway systems are safer to drive at night in the urban regions than in Atlanta, despite limiting their lighting to exit and entrance ramps. Also bright road reflectors and lights from elevated suburbs compensate for it too.

The lit portions of expressway:
I-75 - I-285 interchange to the Chattahoochie Bridge, then picks up in Marietta from Delk to North Marrietta Pkwy. Interchange lights at 54 in Morrow.
I-85 - Riverdale Road near the airport to Dekalb County line, then picks up again from Spaghetti Junction to 316. Interchange lights at Fairburn Industrial and Jonesboro Road in South Fulton.
I-75/85 Connector - see above two. Now for some reason the lights in Midtown haven't been turned back on since the reconstruction around 14th Street although that new section went to high masts.
I-20 - all lit inside the Perimeter
I-285 - NO LIGHTS, NOTHING! Only exceptions: both I-20 interchanges and I-75 interchange near the airport. Even the Spaghetti Junction is pitch black except I-85 running thru.
GA 400 - only at the interchanges with I-85, Sidney Marcus, Lenox, the hated 50 cent toll booth, and a section from Glenridge to just some ramps to and from 285.
166 Langford Parkway - all lit except for the 285 interchange
Freedom Parkway and the forgotten Highway 13/Buford Expwy (Midtown to Sid Marcus) - all lit
Stone Mountain Expwy, GA 400 outside the Perimeter and I-675 have no lights.

With that said, Atlanta is a major city and metropolis with traffic issues, so there is no excuse for some genius at GDOT to be so cheap on lighting their expressways. It's pathetic.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM

I would say that it is Georgia that chooses to have a backwards and dangerous infrastructure.

Atlanta is merely the victim of this traditional gouging of its till for the sake of the rest of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Lighting on every road should be required. Go to any major midwestern city. All the streets are brightly lit. The major cities in Florida have good street lighting too. It makes for a much safer and more pleasant driving experience. Why do so many cities have excellent street lighting and why can't Atlanta achieve that too? Atlanta chooses to have a backwards and dangerous infrastructure.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I thought the lights were turned off to save money from the recession?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
There was some point a dozen years ago when the city didn't have the funds to pay the bill so GA Power turned off the lights. My guess is that it is nothing more or less than saving money. We do have an operating deficit and I suppose our city leaders (and county leaders) choose to spend that money elsewhere. I can only imagine that the power bills are pretty darn significant if my own home's power bill is any measure.....

Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM

It's too bad there isn't a mature solar power industry here (thanks to Georgia Power and good ol' fashion bubba politics).

Perhaps that may solve at least some of the problems with dark expressways?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
There's no escape from Atlanta's light pollution anyway. I doubt adding some to compleex interchanges ould make a difference. For instance, Sunday at six am I was taking a girlfriend to the airport. Spaghetti Junction is totally dark, and I missed 85, despite the fact that I go through that interchange several times a week, but never at night. That interchange is a nightmare even for those of us who use it regularly. I can't imagine what it's like to others.
I don't see anyone can miss that exit at all. There are 3 huge 85 South signs before the exit and it's one exit past BrandsMart and Buford Highway. I just can't see this one .

Atlanta metro highways are lit as much as Baltimore/DC Metro area where I grew up. City limits, you have lights, you hit the suburbs and lights becomes few and far between on 95/695/895.

I do miss the lighted overhead signs though. I don't think many of the overhead signs here have lights on them.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I would say that it is Georgia that chooses to have a backwards and dangerous infrastructure.

Atlanta is merely the victim of this traditional gouging of its till for the sake of the rest of the state.
WRONG! Street lights are paid for by the county or city in which they are located. If the city of Atlanta (or Peachtree City or Savannah or wherever) doesn't want to pay for them, they don't exist or are not turned on.

Nice try trying to blame -- AGAIN! -- the rest of Georgia for Atlanta's shortcomings. Quite frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of it. You arrogant ITP people need to take that freakin damn chip off your shoulder and plank out of your eye!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's too bad there isn't a mature solar power industry here (thanks to Georgia Power and good ol' fashion bubba politics).

Perhaps that may solve at least some of the problems with dark expressways?
I completely agree with you here! Use solar power to light the freeways! Win-win for everyone.

On a somewhat different note, 85 after 985 over the years has become so much more dangerous and prone to road rage because it is past capacity. GDOT, widen the friggin road already!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I do miss the lighted overhead signs though. I don't think many of the overhead signs here have lights on them.
I miss those too! Never understood why Georgia doesn't light their signs up. I also never understood why Georgia uses its own skinny "Georgia font" on its signs. I think they are starting to change this though with the newer signage. (EG: New signs on 400, 20 West at Villa Rica and beyond & 85 at Mall of Georgia and beyond)

Now, if only they could fix the reflector position from -. - to - . - ...never understood that either.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Nice try trying to blame -- AGAIN! -- the rest of Georgia for Atlanta's shortcomings. Quite frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of it. You arrogant ITP people need to take that freakin damn chip off your shoulder and plank out of your eye!
Get tha freak over yourself, pal. If you're mad with my reasoning DEBATE ME ON IT! Anytime...anyplace! I won't hide from my opinions.

You're just upset that that guys like me actually FIGHT BACK against the UNreconstructed madness for a change. You are so used to Atlanta folks stuttering and stammering while everyone else gets to go all "Brokeback Mountain" on us.

Now that we pro-Atlanta folks are stepping up for a change you wanna cry like a baby. Pathetic. Go back to your Rush Limbaugh/talk-radio kool-aid, and refresh yourself on his daily natterings to make yourself feel better.

Me?

I'm gonna be AcidSnake, 24 hours, 7 days a week. This brotha ain't backing down from a doggone fight, and I can go at it until the end of time itself.

BELIEVE IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta