Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:59 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,779,916 times

Advertisements

So, I read in the Smyrna Neighbor newspaper that Halpern has had talks with the city of Smyrna and county and that although they can't use TAD money to redevelop the Belmont Hills shopping plaza as a mixed-use community, Halpern agreed to foot the bill for initial development, and the county and city will pay them back from tax subsidies. TAD money can only be used for schools and infrastructure improvements.

As some may know, Belmont Hills was one of the largest shopping centers in the South when it was built in 1954 (at the corner of Atlanta Road and Windy Hill) in a then virtually empty Smyrna. It used to catch people commuting back and forth from Atlanta to Marietta. However, as time went on, more competition sprung up in the area, Smyrna became more developed, the Belmont Hills area started to take on more lower-income people, and the plaza became outdated and blighted compared to the new shopping centers. Now it sits 80% vacant. It sits two blocks from Market Village, which is an extremely successful mixed-use community that started to spring up in the 90s.

The plan is to turn it into a mixed use development as shown in the picture below, although it'll probably turn out being a bit scaled down from the initial vision due to the lack of TAD funding:

Last edited by netdragon; 05-10-2008 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 AM

So what do you think? Are you looking forward to it? Do you think it will possitively affect land value of the neighborhoods North Windy Hill or just areas South of it?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Very cool...it seems to me that Smyrna is fast becoming one of the 'hot' suburbs on the west side.
It's about time she shrugged off her rep as Vinings' less attractive sister.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Smyrna has definately made a name for itself, and Vinings isn't being left behind either. The Aberdeen highrise condos and some additional townhome communities are being built on Paces Ferry near the Vinings village. I think what's interesting is that now both areas are developing independent of each other, Smyrna's development concentrated more towards the center or towards the Silver Comet Trail, away from Vinings. Most of the Vinings expansion is going on in Mableton right now.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I think what's interesting is that now both areas are developing independent of each other
Yes, so now housing developments in Mableton will appropriate the Vinings name for added prestige instead of housing developments in Smyrna.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:23 PM
ABM

339 posts, read 993,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, so now housing developments in Mableton will appropriate the Vinings name for added prestige instead of housing developments in Smyrna.
Mainings.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
That's been happening for a while already. The Vinings name is used all the way out to Queens Mill in Mableton, such as Vinings Vintage (which is between Veteran's Memorial and Mableton Parkway) and Old Vinings Lake off Cooper Lake Road. Actually, it's more common now for them not to use the Vinings name, however the style of development going on in Smyrna is more urban and higher density whereas in Mableton is more suburban, reminiscent of what was going on in Smyrna and Vinings more often a decade ago before all the remaining land was used up.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Mainings.
Why not combine all three and call it Smyningston?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
I think it'll overall improve that area. In the last decade or so that whole area not far from there has pretty much gone from lower-middle income suburbanites to Mexican immigrant type stuff. I know that Smyrna leaders aren't thrilled with that, so wasn't shocked they bowed down and negotiated to allow this in. It just adds to what's already been going on in that area and more developers will come in to add higher-end housing options as well. Of course, those of us who are lower middle income who still speak English will be priced out of that area, too.

The only thing that kinda bugs me is the cookie-cutter approach to these "mixed use" developments. Atlantic Station started the whole mess. Then smaller mini-me versions of it started popping up slowly here and there, and lately a ton of them are planned throughout the metro area. Give it another decade and there will be 100 of the things and they really aren't that different from one another.

Market Square in Smyrna is ok - but again, "generic mixed-use" in design. This new place isn't that much different. Others are planned in the Brookhaven area, Marietta, and I think even in West Cobb.

I can't remember the name of this one (photo below) but it's just down the road from Market Village at the corner of the East/West Connector:

I guess it's better than slum apartments, though. Even if they all wind up with pretty much the same stores behind slightly different shades of brick.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Why not combine all three and call it Smyningston?
That's a good sounding name. I will now add in Cumberland and coming out with something more ridiculous sounding: Smyrstonumberlanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta